"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Monday, July 3, 2017

Movie Review: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

Hello All!
Do you know what happened Saturday? Olivia de Havilland turned 101! To celebrate this amazing actress, Phyl at Phyllis Loves Classic Movies and Crystal at In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood are hosting: The Olivia de Havilland + Errol Flynn blogathon!!
I will be reviewing my favorite movie of theirs, and the first movie I saw with them: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938). This was the movie that got me obsessed with Olivia, Errol, and Robin Hood.

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938):
Based on the legends of Robin Hood:
The noble Sir Robin of Locksley turns outlaw after a fight with the Sheriff of Nottingham and Guy of Gisbourne over the how people are being treated. In the forest Robin of Locksley, now Robin Hood, and a band of "Merry Men" work to convince the nobles that people ARE being treated badly and to defeat the Sheriff and Guy of Gisbourne. Meanwhile, Robin can't take his eyes off Maid Marian, a noble who hates him.
Genre: Adventure, Romance, Action.
Costumes: 10, the costumes here are so magnificent! From the Lincoln green to Maid Marian's costumes they are so lovely! I can't pick a favorite.
Script: 9, there is not anything bad that I can think of.
"Why, you speak treason!"
Crew:
Directed by: 
Michael Curtiz
William Keighley
Produced by:
Hal B. Wallis
Henry Blanke
Screenplay by:
Norman Reilly Raine
Seton I. Miller
Rowland Leigh
Starring:
Errol Flynn as Robin Hood, "You're a strange man."
Olivia de Havilland as Maid Marian
Basil Rathbone as Guy of Gisbourne
Claude Rains as Prince John
Melville Cooper as the Sheriff of Nottingham
Patric Knowles as Will Scarlett
Alan Hale, Sr. as Little John
Eugene Pallette as Friar Tuck
Herbert Mundin as Much
Una O'Connor as Bess
Montagu Love as the Bishop of the Black Canons
Ian Hunter as King Richard the Lionheart
Music: 10! Lovely!
Music by: Erich Wolfgang Korngold
Quotes: 10, "Strange? Because I feel for beaten helpless people?"
Notes: This film is my favorite Robin Hood movie ever. If you watch it make sure to watch it in color, because it will be amazing!
Storyline: 8, There is so death, and talk of abuse, but Robin Hood is here to stop that. It is a romance, so there is some kissing, but it is the movie that changed me, the most un-romantic doesn't like romances person, into someone who one of their favorite romances EVER is this movie.
Good For: Whoever watches this movie will be changed.
Overall Score: 9.5!

Thank you so much for hosting this blogathon Phyl and Crystal! Be sure to check it out HERE!

MovieCritic

12 comments:

  1. Just a delightful movie, all around. Script, acting, scenery, costumes, music -- everything is so wonderful!

    My favorite lines are definitely the repartee between Robin and Marian, especially when she says, "Why, you speak treason!" and he replies, "Fluently." Brilliant comeback there, dear Robin.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Everything falls into place to be a wonderful movie!

      They have the best lines. My sister thinks it is cheesy, but it is not! Like the lines you said, those definitely aren't cheesy. Robin has the greatest comebacks ever!

      Thank you Hamlette!

      Delete
  2. Nice review with the scores! I also love the costumes in this film - and the way the colors were used!
    Don't forget to read my contribution to the blogathon! :)
    Cheers!
    Le
    http://www.criticaretro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      The costumes are so fabulous in this film!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I really need to watch this again. It's been a couple years!

    Thanks so much for sharing your love of this wonderful film and participating in this Blogathon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Even for me it has been a few months. :)

      Thank you so much for hosting it! It was so much fun!

      Delete
  4. I watched this movie a long time ago but need to watch it again as I have forgotten much of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I saw it was a long time ago, then I saw it again this year and there was so much that I had forgotten!

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for participating in the blogathon with such a great post. I definitely need to watch this movie again. Haven't seen it for years.

    I would also like to invite you to participate in my next blogathon. The link is below with more details.

    https://crystalkalyana.wordpress.com/2017/05/26/announcing-the-third-annual-barrymore-trilogy-blogathon/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting it! It was so cool to be in a blogathon celebrating one of my favorite movie couples! The movie is a really good one!

      That looks really fun! I will have to check it out, thanks for letting me know!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles