"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Books I read in 2019

Hello everyone!!!!!

Welcome to 2020!!! It feels so unreal that this is here. I have so many things planned for this year (seriously, this blogging schedule I've got for January is insane!) and I can't wait to share them with you all! As tradition, here at Movies Meet Their Match I tell you all of the books that I read in the previous year and my top 10. I hope that you enjoy!

Here are my lists from 2018, 2017, and 2016.

As usual, if I reviewed it there will be a link to it. I also got a Goodreads account this year, so you can look at the list HERE but Goodreads has a different way of counting things than I do (usually I don't count devotionals or graphic novels).

New-to-me Reads:

The Year of the Dog - by Grace Lin
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - by Newt Scamander (aka J. K. Rowling)
Dune - by Frank Herbert
The Broken Prince - by Kara Linaburg
Five Poisoned Apples - by Skye Hoffert, Jenelle Hovde, Courtney Manning, Maddie Morrow, & Rachael Wallen.
Emily of New Moon - by L. M. Montgomery (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)
North & South - by Elizabeth Gaskell
Flunked - by Jen Calonita
The Adventures of Robin Hood - by Roger Lancelyn Green
Rilla of Ingleside - by L. M. Montgomery
The Secret School - by Avi
The Bridge to Terabithia - by Katherine Paterson
Jackaby - by William Ritter
Anastasia Krupnik - by Lois Lowery
Moriarty - by Anthony Horowitz
Heartless - by Marissa Meyer
Persuasion - by Jane Austen
The Girl Who Drank the Moon - by Kelly Barnhill
A Week of Werewolves, Faeries, and Fancy Dresses - by Nicki Chapelway
A Time of Trepidation, Pirates, and Lost Princesses - by Nicki Chapelway
Agnes Grey - by Anne Brontë
To the Future, Ben Franklin! - by Mary Pope Osborne
Fahrenheit 451 - by Ray Bradbury
Wives & Daughters - by Elizabeth Gaskell
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - by Alan Bradley
Raymie Nightingale - by Kate DiCamillo
Reflections on the Psalms - by C. S. Lewis
The Great Brain - by John D. Fitzgerald
More Adventures of the Great Brain - by John D. Fitzgerald
I Walk In Dread: The Diary of Deliverance Trembley, Witness to the Salem Witch Trails - by Lisa Rowe Fraustino
Romeo & Juliet - by William Shakespeare
Me and My Little Brain - by John D. Fitzgerald
Christy - by Catherine Marshall (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)
The Great Brain at the Academy - by John D. Fitzgerald
Babe the Gallant Pig - by Dick King-Smith
The Great Brain Reforms - by John D. Fitzgerald
Dandelion: The Extraordinary Life of a Misfit - by Sheelagh Mawe
The Isle of the Lost - by Melissa de La Cruz
The Witches - by Roald Dahl
"When Did You See Her Last?" - by Lemony Snicket
The 39 Clues: From the Grave - by Jude Watson
Rascal - by Sterling North
The Courage of Sarah Noble - by Alice Dalgliesh
Don Quixote de la Mancha - by Miguel de Cervantes

Total: 44 books

Rereads:

The Silver Chair - by C. S. Lewis (Part I, Part II, Part III)
The Wizard of Oz - by L. Frank Baum
"Who Could That Be at This Hour?" - by Lemony Snicket
The Clue of the Velvet Mask - by Carolyn Keene (I don't know if this was a reread, but I'm counting it)

Total: 4 books

Grand total: 48 books!


My 10 Favorite New-to-me Books:

1. North & South - by Elizabeth Gaskell (Eeeep!! I love it so much!)
2. Rilla of Ingleside - by L. M. Montgomery
3. Persuasion - by Jane Austen
4. The Girl Who Drank the Moon - by Kelly Barnhill
5. The Bridge to Terabithia - by Katherine Paterson
6. Five Poisoned Apples - by Skye Hoffert, Jenelle Hovde, Courtney Manning, Maddie Morrow, & Rachael Wallen.
7. The Adventures of Robin Hood - by Roger Lancelyn Green
8. Jackaby - by William Ritter
9. Raymie Nightingale - by Kate DiCamillo
10. The Broken Prince - by Kara Linaburg


Reading Challenges:
I participated in the Mount TBR Reading Challenge hosted by My Reader's Block. I chose the lowest, Pike's Peak which was to read 12 books that I own. I got 16!

Dune - by Frank Herbert
Flunked - by Jen Calonita
The Adventures of Robin Hood - by Roger Lancelyn Green
Rilla of Ingleside - by L. M. Montgomery
The Bridge to Terabithia - by Katherine Paterson
Jackaby - by William Ritter
Agnes Grey - by Anne Brontë
Reflections on the Psalms - by C. S. Lewis
The Great Brain - by John D. Fitzgerald
More Adventures of the Great Brain - by John D. Fitzgerald
Me and My Little Brain - by John D. Fitzgerald
The Great Brain at the Academy - by John D. Fitzgerald
The Great Brain Reforms - by John D. Fitzgerald
Dandelion: The Extraordinary Life of a Misfit - by Sheelagh Mawe
The Isle of the Lost - by Melissa de La Cruz

And she counts reread if you haven't read them in five years, so The Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum counts, too.

Part of the challenge is to see how many proverbs and sayings you can finish using the titles of the books that you read. Bev says that you can remove or add one word to make it work.

A stitch in time [saves]... Jackaby
Don't count your chickens [on]... The Isle of the Lost
A penny saved [and]... The Great Brain Reforms
All good things must come [with]... The Wizard of Oz
When in Rome [be]... Rilla of Ingleside
All that glitters is not... The Bridge to Terabithia
A picture is worth... Agnes Grey [Dune? Nothing really works here]
When the going gets tough, the tough gets... Me and My Little Brain
Two wrongs don't make... The Great Brain
The pen is mightier than... The Great Brain at the Academy
The squeaky wheel gets... Dandelion: The Extraordinary Life of a Misfit [or Flunked also works for this one]
Hope for the best, but prepare for... More Adventures of the Great Brain
Birds of a feather flock [to]... The Adventures of Robin Hood

Some of those don't really work, but I was trying! Haha!

That's it for me! Have any of you read these books? Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful 2020!

MovieCritic

10 comments:

  1. Five Poisoned Apples!!!! Jackaby!!! <3 <3 Those books are SO GOOD - and I think I discovered both of them this year too! *high-fives*

    Also, "Hope for the best, but prepare for More Adventures of the Great Brain" made me laugh. XD

    I hope 2020 is a great reading year for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! Both of them are so fantastic! <3 I'm currently rereading Five Poisoned Apples and still love it so much! *returns high five*

      That's the only one that sort of made sense. XD

      Thanks, Nicole! Same to you! :)

      Delete
  2. PERSUASION is my favorite Jane Austen and I've got a hankering to revisit it. AND RILLA TORE MY HEART OUT BUT IT WAS WORTH IT *sobs*.

    I still need to read North and South. It's sitting on my shelf waiting. I just. Haven't. Sat down with it yet...*goes and hides*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P&P is my favorite, but Persuasion is a close second! (Along with the others, it's impossible to decide!) *sobs over Rilla forever* IT WAS AMAZING! Ack, I will never recover.

      Maybe 2020 will be the year, Megan!! I have a feeling that you would absolutely love it, too! It looks thick, but I blazed through it because it is so good!

      Delete
  3. You read some great books this year! Wow. North and South and Fahrenheit 451 and Persuasion and The Adventures of Robin Hood and Five Poisoned Apples and Christy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to my 2019 year, I'm so happy with all of these! Fahrenheit 451 was intense, but I already feel like rereading! Loved the others.:-)

      Delete
  4. Your top 3 favorite new-to-you books are some of my favorite books of all time, so I'm just so glad you loved them!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm so glad that I finally got around to reading them! They are such beautiful books and I can't wait to visit them again! :D

      Delete
  5. I'm dead!! Seeing Five Poisoned Apples up there with Jackaby and The Girl Who Drank the Moon is surreal! I'm so glad you liked it and flattered it made your top ten!!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, Skye! I loved FPA! I'm just finishing rereading Falling Snow with my sisters and they love it, too! :D

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles