"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

A Memorial for Actors and Directors ~ 2019

Hello, everyone.

Here it comes, my last post of 2019, and as usual, I will be honoring and commemorating actors and actresses who are close to my heart in the different works that they've done.

Carol Channing: Actress
January 31st, 1921 - January 15th, 2019
Who could ever forget her? I love seeing her in the movie Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967) (that movie is weird, but she is the best part about it) and I love hearing her voice in the movie Thumbelina (1994). Listening to her singing songs from Hello Dolly! is a joy. As soon as you hear her, you know that it is Carol Channing.


Albert Finney: Actor
May 9th, 1936 - February 7th, 2019
I was first introduced to Albert Finney in his role as Daddy Warbucks in Annie (1982). He plays Scrooge in one of my favorite versions of A Christmas Carol, the musical Scrooge (1970), but by far my favorite role of his is John Newton in Amazing Grace (2006). That is one of my favorite movies ever, and his lines are so powerful and amazing, no one else could have done it. I'm sad to see him go, but I am going to watch the movie Big Fish (2003) that has him soon, and I am looking forward to his performance.


Stanley Donen: Director
April 13th, 1924 - February 21st, 2019
I have to credit Mr. Donen here because he directed my favorite movie of all time, Singin' in the Rain (1952). Seriously, I love that movie so much, and it couldn't have happened without him. Other movies of his that I have seen are On The Town (1949) and Royal Wedding (1951). They have all been enjoyable, and looking at a list of all the movies he worked on I am looking forward to those that I haven't seen yet.


Peter Mayhew: Actor
May 19th, 1944 - April 30th, 2019
Ah, this is the man who played the famous Chewbacca. Star Wars is one of my favorite things, and Chewy is one of my favorite characters. Catherine Hawthorn and I already co-wrote a memorial post for him back on May 4th, which you can check out HERE.


Doris Day: Actress and Singer
April 3rd, 1922 - May 13th, 2019
I have not seen many things featuring her, but each one I have seen has been a treat! I first saw her in By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1953) which is very sweet and cute, but my favorite of hers has to be The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956). She and Jimmy Stewart were brilliant together, but the highlight of the movie is her singing the Academy Award Winning song, "Que Sera Sera". My grandmother always used to say that to me, and to finally see that movie in 2018 was very special.


Cameron Boyce: Actor
May 28th, 1999 - July 6th, 2019
It was sad to hear that he died due to health complications when he was so young. I never watched any of the TV shows featuring him, but I really liked seeing him in the Descendants movies as Carlos. When I read the book The Isle of the Lost this year, I see how perfectly he played him.


I'm sad to know that all of these people won't be with us any more, but I have enjoyed being able to see their movies.

That's all for me in 2019, and this decade, I am looking forward to what is to come in 2020!

MovieCritic

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles