"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Thursday, December 19, 2019

The 12 Days of Christmas Movie Tag

Hello, everyone!

I am a terrible procrastinator when it comes to blog tags. I love being tagged, but once I am I forget about it completely for months. For this tag I wasn't officially tagged, but the creator, Hamlette, said that anyone who wanted to could do it. I have other tags that I am looking forward to getting around to doing, but I can't put this one off long because it is Christmas themed! I was originally planning to do it in the 12 days of Christmas, but I thought that I would be on top of things for once and do it ahead of schedule. Way to go me! I am trying to avoid using the same answers that anyone who has already done it has used.

If I have reviewed these movies there will be a link to my review if you want more information on it.


The 12 Days of Christmas Movie Tag: Created by Hamlette:
Rules:
#1 Use a different movie for each prompt
#2 Add photos and/or explanations of how your choices fit the prompts
#3 Tag a few friends to play along

1. A Partridge in a Pear Tree -- movie that involves agriculture:

Um, so this one was nearly impossible to come up with. Field of Dreams (1989). It is about a farmer in Iowa, Ray Kinsella, who hears a voice in his corn field telling him, "If you build it, he will come." Ray feels that the voice means to make a baseball diamond. When he does, baseball players mysteriously come out of the field and start playing games, but only those who believe can see. This is such a weird movie, but it is my sister's favorite of all time.

2.  Turtledoves -- movie about a long-lasting relationship:

Up (2009). This movie only has a short bit featuring it, but it shows when Carl and Ellie meet as kids and when they get married and grow old together. This movie gives me so many feelings, I love it!

3.  French Hens -- movie that takes place in France:

Hugo (2011). It is all about a boy who lives at a railway station in Paris. He is takes care of the clock that directs all of the trains, but no one knows he is there, until he makes friends with a girl. A fabulous cast and it won several Oscars. It is based on the book by Brian Selznick. It is really good, I'll review it one of these days!

4.  Calling Birds -- movie where people talk on the phone:

Bye, Bye, Birdie (1963). There is a musical scene called "Telephone Hour" where a bunch of teenagers are calling each other and gossiping about two of their classmates becoming boyfriend and girlfriend.

5.  Golden Rings -- movie with multiple romances:

Emma (1996). Miss Taylor marries Mr. Weston. Emma loves Frank Churchill, or does Mr. Elton love her? Harriet loves Mr. Elton. Wait, or is it that Harriet loves Frank? Mr. Knightley? Or is it that farmer, Mr. Martin? Does Jane Fairfax have feelings for Mr. Knightley or Mr. Churchill? Who does Emma love in all of the matchmaking? Some of these are true, some aren't, you have to figure it out. Heehee. But yeah, there are a lot. I count five couples by the end. Hey, I didn't even realize how perfectly that fits this question!

6.  Geese A-laying -- movie with a birth or that features babies:

Gone With The Wind (1939). This was the only one that I could think of. In the middle of the movie Melanie is having a baby when Atlanta is burning down. A famous line from the movie is when the servant, Prissy says, "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies!"

7.  Swans A-swimming -- movie where someone goes swimming:

Dangerous When Wet (1953). This movie is all about a girl going to swim the English channel and a famous scene is when Ester Williams swims with animated Tom and Jerry. Sadly I've not seen the end of this movie, but I really enjoyed the first half when I saw it a few years ago.

8.  Maids A-milking -- movie with cows:

This one took me forever to think of. Home on the Range (2004). It is all about three cows who decide to catch a infamous cattle rustler to get the reward to save their ranch. It is one of Disney's lesser known movies, but it has always been one of my favorites.

9.  Ladies Dancing -- movie with a dance scene:

When in doubt, go with Disney. Beauty and the Beast (both 1991 & 2017) both have gorgeous dance scenes. I love it so much!

10.  Lords A-leaping -- movie about athletes:

A Knight's Tale (2001). This movie is about a man, William, who pretends to be a knight in order to joust in tournaments. Lots of action and good times. This movie is hilarious.

11.  Pipers Piping -- movie with someone playing a musical instrument:

Coco (2017). A boy wants to be a musician in a family who bans music. He steals a guitar to perform in a talent show, and is transported into the land of the dead. He needs his family's blessing, but they will only give it to him if he promises to not play music anymore. He goes on a journey through the land of the dead looking for a way to get home. So much music in here, and lots of guitar playing! Such a beautiful movie.

12.  Drummers Drumming -- movie with characters in the military:

I don't watch a lot of war movies, but I do like Monuments Men (2014). It is about a unit in World War II who are looking for art and sculptures that the Nazis have taken and hidden. Plus, part of this movie takes place at Christmas and has a really beautiful scene.


I tag:
Lilah at The Singing Writer
Mary Kate at Sarcastic Scribbligs
Fawnabelle at Geeky, Nerdy, and Proud of It


I won't be online at all really for the next few days because I will be desperately avoiding Star Wars spoilers, but I will be back in a few days to post a review about The Rise of Skywalker after I see it!

Thank you so much for reading! What do you think of all of the movies that I mentioned?

MovieCritic

8 comments:

  1. Fun stuff!

    I've been to the Iowa farm where they filmed Field of Dreams...

    All the stuff about Carl & Ellie in Up makes me cry. So good.

    Haha! Emma is a perfect fit for #5.

    I love that you used A Knight's Tale! SUCH a good movie.

    And I forgot that part of Monuments Men involves Christmas, but now that you've reminded me, man, I want to watch it RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hamlette! I had a terrific time answering the questions that you made!

      Really? That's so neat! I've been thinking about making a tag involving movie locations, and now you have me thinking about it again...

      Oh yes, I cry so much during that movie. <3

      When unsure, go with Jane Austen. ;-) We both used it.

      Fits well with Lords a Leaping. I need to rewatch!

      I had to get a movie with a Christmas scene in here somewhere! Thanks, again, Hamlette!

      Delete
  2. Love this post! Carl and Ellie are a great choice for #2 - they get me every time. I also chose an Esther Williams movie for #7 - she is just perfect for it! And I'm gonna keep an eye out for Monuments Men, it sounds so good! Thanks for the fun post and recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't make it through that movie without bawling. She was the swimming queen! I read your post but forgot to comment, so I'll have to stop by again. Oh yes, it is a good one, with an all-star cast and a great plot. :) I hope you like it!

      Delete
  3. All you answers were really good!

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles