"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Saturday, November 2, 2019

Movie Review: Coco (2017)

¡Hola amigos!

¡Ayer fue el Día de los Muertos! Yesterday was the day of the dead! Also called all souls day (also celebrated is all saints day), this is a day were we remember those who have gone before us and celebrate their lives. As you all probably know, this is a very big day in Mexican culture. In the spirit of this, I am reviewing a movie that is amazing and the perfect film to watch this month!

I was going to review this yesterday, but my sisters and I wanted to watch this yesterday so we did and I forgot that because you get really emotional while watching this, you need time to think about it (yes, I have seen this several times before but always forget this).

I know this sounds like a really weird movie if you haven't seen it before, but stick with me until the end.

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.

Coco (2017):
"Being part of this family means being here for this family."
A boy named Miguel wants to play music, but his family hates it and has banned it. To join a talent show to prove himself, Miguel steals a guitar from the late famous musician Ernesto de la Cruz. Because he stole from the dead on a day when we give to the dead, he can see all of the dead now, and none of the living can see him. His family who has already past on take him to the land of the dead were they find that he needs their blessing to go back to the land of the living. The only condition is that he has to promise not to play anymore music. Miguel runs away and is joined by Hector as they search through the land of the dead for someone who will give him a blessing without conditions. Will Miguel get back to the land of the living before sunrise, or will he turn into a skeleton?
"This isn't fair! This is my life, you already had yours!"
Genres: Adventure, Family, Fantasy, Animated.
Length: approx. 105 minutes.
Costumes: 8, it is an animated movie, so there aren't too many extreme costumes. I do like the outfits that they picked for each character because it suits their personality. There is one instance where we see a skeleton wearing no clothing.
Script: 10. I am taking Spanish lessons and there are a few Spanish words which are fun that I know (but they were pretty much in context so even if you didn't you would understand). And while I was taking my notes I started writing them in Spanish!
"I thought it was one of those things adults make up to tell kids, like, vitamins."
Crew:
Directed by: Lee Unkrich.
Written by: Adrian Molina, Matthew Aldrich, Lee Unkrich, & Jason Katz.
Starring the voices of:
Anthony Gonzalez as Miguel.
Gael García Bernal as Héctor.
Benjamin Bratt as Ernesto de la Cruz. (Antonio Sol singing voice, except for "Remember Me")
Alanna Ubach as Mamá Imelda.
Renée Victor as Abuelita.
Ana Ofelia Murguía as Mamá Coco.
Edward James Olmos as Chicharrón.
Alfonso Arau as Papá Julio.
Selene Luna as Tía Rosita.
Dyana Ortellí as Tía Victoria.
Herbert Sigüenza as Tíos Oscar and Felipe.
Jaime Camil as Papá.
Sofía Espinosa as Mamá.
Natalia Cordova-Buckley as Frida Kahlo.
A really neat thing about this movie is that it is the first film with a nine-figure budget (a cost of $175 million) to feature an all-Latino principal cast!
Animation: 10, you know me, I'm biased against digital animation, but this is so breathtaking! The colors are fantastic and the way the drew everything is amazing!
Music: 10! It is so beautiful! Of course everyone is always talking about "Remember Me" (for good reason), but there are so many great songs in here, like, "Un Poco Loco" and "Proud Corazón", and even "Everyone Knows Juanita" are so amazing!
Music by: Michael Giacchino (score). Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez, Germaine Franco, Michael Giacchino, Adrian Molina, Holger Beier, Pat Beier, & Camilo Lara (song lyrics).
Notes: There are so many Easter eggs in here! This was actually one of the first movies since I knew about Easter eggs where I spotted one without knowing that it was already there.
Quotes: 10! “Our memories, they have to be passed down by those who knew us in life – in the stories they tell about us.”
Oscars won: 2: Best Animated Feature, & Best Original Song ("Remember Me").
Content: 10, there is one or two gross things, and a suggestive body part. It deals with the themes of death and life and they do it in such a beautiful way.
Originality: 10! I love that they made a movie all about El Día de los Muertos! Some people say it is too close to The Book of Life (2013), and while there are some similarities, both have their own unique storyline.
Good For: everyone everywhere, people who have lost family members, anyone who loves music.
Age Range: All ages! This movie is so perfect for the whole family, whatever age you, I am sure that you will like it. You might say, "But it's just a kids movie!" I assure you, it isn't.
Overall Score: 10!
Bonus thoughts:
"That's such a sweet sentiment...at such a bad time!"
When my sisters and I first saw the trailer for this, my sister said, "That looks so good!" and I thought, "Um, no way." I didn't like the idea of all the skeletons and things. Months later my younger sister got it from the library and convinced my older sister and me to watch it.
Let me tell you, I was absolutely blown away. This movie is GORGEOUS.
The themes of life and death are wonderful, and it shows the importance for music and family. Every time I watch this movie I am sobbing because the message is so beautiful! This is in my top 20 favorite movies of all time.
A quick note, I don't believe that this is what happens when we die. I believe in one Heaven, and one God. But, I love the idea of the land of the dead because I love the focus on remembering the people who have gone before us and celebrating their lives. This is fantasy, right?
I will never stop recommending it to everyone. If you haven't seen it, please go watch it now! Even if you have doubts, go! You won't regret it.


Talk to me! Have any of you seen this? I would love to squeal about how wonderful it is with you! Thanks for reading!

MovieCritic

10 comments:

  1. I've never seen Coco, but I want to. I've heard it's really good.
    I'm a big fan of both Edward James Olmos, and Natalia Cordova-Buckley because I think they ars both very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, McKayla! Thanks for checking out my blog! As soon as you get the chance, you should see it!
      They both just have short cameos, but it is fun to hear their voices.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I definitely will. Oh, cool. What have you seen them in before? I've seen them both in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, and I've also seen Edward James Olmos in Battlestar Galactica.

      Delete
    3. The movies I've seen with Edward James Olmos are him in voice roles (Beverly Hills Chihuahua, and The Road to El Dorado), and this is the only thing I've seen Natalia Cordova-Buckley in this, but I really want to see Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.!!

      Delete
    4. Oh, cool. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is really awesome. If you like the MCU, you'll probably like it. It's actually one of my all-time favorites.

      Delete
    5. I am a big MCU fan, so I'll definitely try to see it sometime. And that's awesome that it's one of your favorite shows!

      Delete
  2. Loved to read your thoughts on this movie. I didn't know if I would like it.

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me happy to hear that! I didn't think that I would like it either, but I ended up loving it!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles