"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Friday, December 27, 2019

Movie Review: Scrooged (1988)

Hello and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Just over a week ago I reviewed The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017) which was about Charles Dickens writing his famous classic, A Christmas Carol. We all know that book, right? Whether we've read it or seen a film adaptation we are all familiar with how the story goes. In fact, there are so many movie versions, I can't count them! What I will be reviewing for you today is another one of those that has a modern twist.

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.


Scrooged (1988):
Based on: A Christmas Carol - by Charles Dickens.
"Sometimes you have to slap them in the face to get their attention."
Frank Cross likes Christmas because that is the time when people watch a lot of TV and revenues go up. Everything else that goes with Christmas is just a bunch of wasted time. He is visited by his former boss is dead and is given a warning that he needs to change his ways. After some threats Frank is told that three ghosts will visit him. Frank shakes this off, thinking that he is just so stressed while trying to get together a huge live broadcast of A Christmas Carol and is imaging that it is happening to him. While being worried about being replaced and seeing his old girl friend for the first time in 15 years, the ghosts come one by one. Meanwhile, an employee that Frank fired and ruined his life is out for a vengeance. Will Frank ever realize what Christmas is all about?
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Christmas, Retelling.
Length: approx. 101 minutes.
Costumes: 5, there are some costumes that are really low and skimpy which people talk about, and there is a short bit when someone isn't wearing anything.
"A party! I'm so happy that I wore my pretty dress."
Script: 6, there are quite a few bad words and names callings.
"We don't want to scare the 'Dickens' out of people."
Crew:
Directed by: Richard Donner.
Written by: Mitch Glazer & Michael O'Donoghue.
Starring:
Bill Murray as Frank Cross.
Karen Allen as Claire Phillips.
David Johansen as Ghost of Christmas Past.
Carol Kane as Ghost of Christmas Present.
Bobcat Goldthwait as Eliot Loudermilk.
Robert Mitchum as Preston Rhinelander.
John Forsythe as Lew Hayward.
John Glover as Brice Cummings.
Nicholas Phillips as Calvin Cooley.
Alfre Woodard as Grace Cooley.
Michael J. Pollard as Herman.
John Murray as James Cross.
Buddy Hackett as Scrooge.
Mabel King as Gramma.
Damon Hines as Steven Cooley.
Tamika McCollum as Shasta Cooley.
Koren McCollum as Randee Cooley.
Reina King as Lanell Cooley.
Kate McGregor-Stewart as Lady Censor.
Tony Steedman as Headwaiter.
Brian Doyle Murray as Earl Cross.
Lisa Mende as Doris Cross.
Ryan Todd as Frank as a child.
Delores Hall as Hazel.
Winfred Tennison as Marvin.
Wendie Malick as Wendie Cross.
Raphael Harris as Older Calvin.
Cinematography: 7, okay, but nothing extraordinary.
Cinematography by: Michael Chapman.
Music: 7, I can't recall any specific score, but I like the songs that are in the soundtrack.
Music by: Danny Elfman.
Notes: There are quite a few cameos, especially from Buddy Hackett and Mary Lou Retton. Additionally, two of Bill Murray's siblings are in this playing his brother and father.
"Niagra falls."
Quotes: 9, my family and I quote this movie all the time!
"Oh, what is this? It's a toaster!"
Content: 5, there is smoking, gross things (like decaying body parts), drinking, scary things, kissing, and some really, really, really, suggestive things.
"Oh my gosh, does that suck."
Originality: 9, I like all of the nods back to the original story and how they made things modern. I could do without a lot of the swearing and content, but other than that the story is really creative!
Good For: A Christmas Carol fans.
Age Range: This is rated PG-13 because of the things that I mentioned, and I would agree with that.
Overall Score: 6.5.
Bonus thoughts:
This isn't the best movie ever (my family and I have a long running joke about '80s movies), but there are good and enjoyable bits. A Christmas Carol is a story of redemption, it debates the question, "Can someone change?" Inspiring and makes you want to do good!
My favorite part of this is definitely Carol Kane as the Ghost of Christmas Present. She is a fairy/ghost and is so hilarious! I laugh so much every time she is on screen. Even my mom (who doesn't usually watch movies) will come out to watch her bits. We joke that my sister looks and acts like her.
"Don't vex me Frank!"


Thank you so much for reading! What are your versions of A Christmas Carol? Merry Christmas!!!

MovieCritic

4 comments:

  1. My goodness, you know what, I did see snatches of this a long time ago when it was showing on television once! It was before I loved A Christmas Carol though so maybe I'll have to watch it again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it I didn't love A Christmas Carol as much as I do I wouldn't like this movie as much. But maybe I'm wrong, either way, it's funny and if you see all of it anytime let me know what you think!!

      Delete
  2. The quotes are so funny! :D

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! Both of the Ghosts are hilarious! Especially the one of Christmas Present! :D

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles