"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Thursday, January 31, 2019

The Silver Chair Read-Along: THE END!

Hello!
Today I am participating the final discussion of Amber at Seasons of Humility's The Silver Chair Read-Along! It has been so much fun re-reading this!
To read Amber's thoughts on this week, click HERE.

SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't read The Silver Chair, don't read any more!

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair ~ Chapters 12-16
Discussion Format: your favorite quotes, general impressions, and four questions to answer for each week's reading
Favorite Quotes:


'All this takes time to write down; it happened so quickly that there was only just time to see it.'

"You are of high courage, and therefore, I doubt not, you come of a noble blood in your own world."

'All felt that they had earned what Scrubb called a "breather."'

"'Friends,' said the Prince, 'when once a man is launched on such an adventure as this, he must bid farewell to hopes and fears, otherwise death or deliverance will both come too late to save his honor and his reason.'"

'Jill held her tongue, (if you don't want other people to know how frightened you are, this is always a wise thing to do; it's your voice that gives you away.)'

"'Hush!' said the Panther. 'The poor child's crazed, and no wonder after being lost inside the hill. She doesn't know what she's saying.' 'That's right,' said an old Bear. 'Why, she said Prince Rilian was a horse!'"


General Impressions:

These chapters are my favorites of the whole book! Once again you have Puddleglum come to the rescue.


This is me so often:

"'We've been there, too,' snapped Jill. She was very angry because she could feel enchantment getting hold of her every minute. But of course the very fact that she could still feel it, showed that it had not yet fully worked."

The allegory! It is so beautiful!:
"'But,' said Eustace, looking at Aslan. 'Hasn't he---er---died?' 
'Yes,' said the Lion in a very quiet voice, almost (Jill thought) as if he were laughing. 'He has died. Most people have, you know. Even I have. There are very few who haven't.'"

Sorry that this is so short, I just love all of it!!!

Discussion Questions:

1. Which part of the chapter featuring the Witch ("The Queen of Underland") impacted you the most?

Of course all of Puddleglum! He is the best! Also:
"For the last few minutes Jill had been feeling that there was something she must remember at all costs. And now she did. But it was dreadfully hard to say it. She felt as if huge weights were laid on her lips. At last, with an effort that seemed to take all the good out of her she said:
'There's Aslan.'"

2. Would you have been tempted to visit Bism if offered the opportunity? Why or why not?

I'm like Jill and don't like places underground. I love snow so much I wouldn't want to go down there and miss enjoying the beautiful whiteness!

3. How did you feel about the ending of the story—for Narnia, for Caspian, for Eustace and Jill?

I'm a little sad that Eustace and Jill didn't get to say a proper goodbye to Rilian, but I love all the rest of it. I can't imagine it any other way.

4. What was your favorite line or scene in the whole book? If you've read the other books in the Chronicles of Narnia series, how does this one rank in your opinion?

I can't pick favorites! All the quotes I have included in these posts! I can't pick a favorite for the books either, though I really love The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe and The Last Battle. All of them are amazing!


Thanks again to Amber for hosting this! I had a great time!

Have you read this? What do you think? Thanks for reading!!

MovieCritic

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I loved this book so much, this post brought back so many good memories. <3 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so wonderful! Memories that I have with reading are the best. I'm so glad that you enjoyed this, Gray! <3

      Delete
  2. Aww, I loved these last chapters too!! So much to love and ponder about the end of their journey, even with some bittersweet moments.

    You picked some great quotes to highlight, including the one in your response to the first question, about Jill fighting to remember Aslan. ♥

    It's fun to learn about your love of snow and which books in the series stand out to you! Thank you so much for participating in this read-along and being willing to revisit the book with us and share your thoughts. :) Always a pleasure!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, indeed! Every little part is so special, I love being able to read it. There definitely are bittersweet moments, too!

      I tend to go a little crazy with the quotes, but I'm glad that you liked it! I feel so many emotions during that chapter, but when Jill says that bit I'm so happy I can't think of anything else. <3

      Snow is the best! My sisters sometimes call me The White Witch because I love it so much. Another Narnia connection! XD Yes, I really enjoyed it! Thank you so much for hosting this, Amber, and I can't wait for your next read-along! :)

      Delete
  3. Isn't Puddleglum amazing in these chapters? I absolutely loved him in them. I'm with you on the whole being underground thing. I would want out NOW! I couldn't deal with going even further down! Bism would have held no interest for me. You picked some great quotes to share! I enjoyed reading your posts during the read-along and hope to share more thoughts with you on the next read-along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is so wonderful! It's the best part of the book. :) Even just thinking about being underground, I get shivers. Ugh! I would not like that at all! The whole time they were there was long enough, I couldn't have stood for another minute! I'm glad that we agree to stay up here. :) Thank you, I enjoy your posts as well! I can't wait to read what you have to say during the next read-along!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles