"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Movie Review: STAR WARS VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)

Hello!
On this blog, I am all about finding excuses to review movies on certain days. As today, January 17th, is James Earl Jones's birthday, I decided to review the last of the original trilogy of STAR WARS, Episode VI! (Note, I am reviewing them the way that they came out.) He was the voice of Darth Vader through out the series.

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.


STAR WARS VI: Return of the Jedi (1983):
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away..."
Han Solo is a captive. Luke tries to find a way to free him from the terrible Jabba the Hutt. In other parts of the galaxy, the empire is still not giving up. They are building something, even worse then the original Death Star. But the rebels might have found a way to destroy it. A small band of them go to a jungled planet to try to get the shield down, so the rest of the rebellion can attack, but they get lost and are surrounded by strange creatures. Luke must decide what he must do to become a Jedi Knight.
"Twilight is upon me and night must come."
Genre: Sci-Fi, Fantasy
Length: approx. 124 minutes.
Costumes: 7, there are some "skimpy" or gross ones, but it is amazing what they did without CGI!
My favorite: I like how everyone else gets ponchos, but Han gets the long coat. (Just joking!)
Script: 10!
"'How're we doing?' 
'The same as always.' 
'That bad?'"
Crew:
Directed by: Richard Marquand
Produced by: Howard Kazanjian, George Lucas.
Written by: Lawrence Kasdan, & George Lucas.
Starring:
Mark Hamil as Luke Skywalker.
Harrison Ford as Han Solo.
Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia.
David Prowes as Darth Vader.
James Earl Jones as Darth Vader (voice).
Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian.
Ian McDiarmid as The Emperor.
Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca.
Anthony Daniels as C-3PO.
Kenny Baker as R2-D2. "I'm terribly sorry, I'm afraid that he's ever so stubborn about these sorts of things."
Warwick Davis as Wicket.
Frank Oz as Yoda. "Pass on what you have learned."
Sebastian Shaw as Anakin Skywalker.
Music: 10! I love the STAR WARS soundtrack!
Music by: John Williams.
Cinematography: 10! "And you said that is was pretty here."
Cinematography by: Alan Hume
Quotes: 10! "I'm out of it for a little while and everybody gets illusions of grandeur."
Notes: If I am like any fictional character ever, I am Luke Skywalker. Watching this I can see exactly when he makes his decisions and they would be the exact same as I would if I had the chance!
Storyline: 8, there is a lot of death, killing, and violence.
"This is no time for heroics!"
Good For: All Star Wars fans!
Overall Score: 9! This is such a good movie!


Awhile back, I had a poll (when there still was the poll gadget) asking which STAR WARS was the best! Here is what all of you said:

IV: A New Hope: 0
V: The Empire Strikes Back: 2
VI: Return of the Jedi: 4
I: The Phantom Menace: 0
II: Attack of the Clones: 2
III: Revenge of the Sith: 0
VII: The Force Awakens: 2
VIII: The Last Jedi: 4
Rogue One: 4

What!? No one voted for my favorite! Episode IV! But, this and episode VIII were voted the favorites!

Thank you so much for reading! Do you agree with the poll results?

MovieCritic

12 comments:

  1. I like all the older movies including IV!!!!


    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The older movies are the best! Though, IV will always be my favorite. :) Thanks for commenting, Rakayle!

      Delete
  2. I love pretty much all of the Star Wars, but this one was a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is one of my favorites, too! It has such an amazing ending, and of course, Ewoks! ;)

      Delete
  3. This is my favorite of the original trilogy, and probably still edges Rogue One out to be my favorite of all. And yes, Han looks smashing in his long coat. How fun that you relate strongly to Luke Skywalker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rogue One is good, but it will never beat the originals! Especially this one. Yes, you can definitely tell who is in charge. :-) Yeah, I didn't realize it until last year, but once I did I couldn't believe that our personallities are so close!

      Delete
  4. That one is my favorite from the older movies! - June

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think V is the best of the original trilogy, but I do like this one. So cool that you relate to Luke!! :)

    So looking forward to all the Star Wars reviews coming up. (Hopefully all culminating with IX in December??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everytime I watch any of the original trilogy I claim that it is my favorite, but the true favorite for me is IV. Yes! In this movie we are the same! :)

      I am hoping that I can get them all in, in time *fingers crossed*. Look for more Star Wars reviews in May!

      Delete
  6. Great article on a wonderful movie--and was not aware that it was James Earl Jones's birthday last week! Many feel that this is the best of the three original fiulms--it is a delight from start to finish. Wonderfully illustrated post as well!
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments! I like to do reviews on actors birthdays to keep me more organized. Though it is not my #1 favorite, I can definitely see how it is the for other people! And, as you say, it is really fun to watch! Thanks, Chris!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles