"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Movie Review: Brave (2012)

Hello, everybody!

It is now time for my post for my Pixar Blogathon!
When deciding what to review I had it narrowed down to a few options. I realized that I had never reviewed my favorite Pixar movie! So, that is what you'll be seeing reviewed today. Enjoy!

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.


Brave (2012):
"But every once in a while, there's a day when I don't have to be a princess. No lessons, no expectations. A day where anything can happen. A day I can change my fate."
Merida is the daughter of a high chief and her favorite thing is to use her bow and arrow. When other clans arrive to try to unite by having their sons try to win her hand, Merida is fed up with it. These traditions are usless to her! She argues with her family and wants to choose her own fate. She seeks out something that will make her parents change thier minds, but only makes things worse. Is her destiny already written, or will she be able to fix the mistakes?
Genre: Adventure, Family.
Length: approx. 95 minutes.
Costumes: 8, it's animated, so I'm not too picky about it. There are a few times when people aren't wearing shirts.
Script: 9, I don't remember any bad words!
Crew:
Directed by: Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman, & Steve Purcell.
Written by: Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman, Steve Purcell, & Irene Mecchi.
Starring the voices of:
Kelly Macdonald as Merida.
Emma Thompson as Queen Elinor.
Billy Connolly as King Fergus.
Julie Walters as The Witch.
Robbie Coltrane as Lord Dingwall.
Kevin McKidd as Lord MacGuffin and Young MacGuffin.
Craig Ferguson as Lord Macintosh.
Sally Kinghorn and Eilidh Fraser as Maudie.
Steven Cree as Young Macintosh.
Peigi Barker as Young Merida.
Steve Purcell as The Crow.
Callum O'Neill as Wee Dingwall.
Patrick Doyle as Martin.
John Ratzenberger as Gordon.
Animation: 10! Have you seen the will-o'-the-wisps? GORGEOUS. All of the shots with the archery are fantastic.
"You know, some say that will-o'-the-wisps can lead you to your fate."
Music: 10, pretty much everything by Patrick Doyle is outstanding, but he out did himself here. I love how celtic it is!
Music by: Patrick Doyle.
Quotes: 8,
'"Do you think we should set a trap?"
"Try shutting yours!"'
Oscars won: 1: Best Animated Feature Film.
Content: 8, there are scary images, death, and some crude humor.
Originality: 10, I love this! Transformations in stories are awesome, and this one nails it! I haven't seen anything like it.
Good For: Families, archery lovers, anyone!
Age Range: This is PG because there is some action, intense scenes, and scary things. I would say it would be find for anyone over six, but it depends on the individual.
Overall Score: 9!
Bonus thoughts:
Ah, I love this movie. It is no secret that I am obsessed with archery! Have you counted how many times I have mentioned it in this post? That was what drew me to this movie and why I went to the theater to see it. All that involves it fits perfectly!
Like all Pixar movies, this film highlights family. It is so beautiful. How can love show through arguments? Is it possible when someone is ripped out of the family to be healed again?
Merida is a great protagonist. I relate to her fear of being pushed into things when she isn't ready. I fully understand that! None of us like to be trapped, she just wants to know that her future is undecided. Sometimes you don't want someone to do something for you. I love the relationships with her family. Hamish, Hubert and Harris are hilarious! Such troublemakers!
This movie is funny, amazing, and has such a sweet message about loving your family. Please watch this if you haven't already! It is my favorite Pixar movie for a good reason!


Thank you so much for reading! I have loved hosting this Pixar Blogathon! Make sure to check out the other entries HERE!

MovieCritic

16 comments:

  1. I love Brave. It's one of my top Pixar movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It totally deserves it because it is amazing! <3

      Delete
  2. I love this movie. I haven't seen a whole lot of Pixar movies, but this one is really good. The music is one of my favorite parts.
    And the archery is so cool. I've done some archery, but I'm not super experienced. I want to do more of it , though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend all of Pixar, but this is my favorite. Which Pixar movies have you seen? Patrick Doyle is one of my favorite composers because his scores are INCREDIBLE.
      Yes! It's kind of funny, I've done a lot of archery, but I am still horrible and barely hit the target. It's still fun!

      Delete
  3. I've never actually seen this movie, but it sounds like I'll have to, one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I love it to pieces. The aesthetic of it reminds me of LotR in some ways.

      Delete
  4. Fergus was hands-down my favorite part of this movie. <3 The dynamic between he and Elinor. Hilarious. Also the triplets, come to think of it.

    And it made me cry. Why is Pixar so good at that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD He is hilarious! Yes, the relationships between the characters is what makes this movie! <3 The triplets are a hoot!

      Oh man, yeah. If you ever need a good cry to clear your system, just put on a Pixar movie!

      Delete
  5. I can't believe I haven't seen this film yet! The plot sounds great and Patrick Doyle writes such gorgeous music <3 MUST watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! There are still three Pixar movies that I haven't seen, but we have time. Ah, each score of his that I've heard is fabulous! <3

      Delete
  6. I love this movie! The triplets were my absolute favorite part of the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a highlight! I can't stop laughing at their shenanigans when I watch it!

      Delete
  7. Ahhhhh, this post and the comments make me so happy because I feel like this film is really underrated. To find other people who love it as much as (or even more!) than I do is so fun. :D

    Truly, this movie is so masterfully done. I feel like sometimes the middle drags a bit, but that's totally a "me" thing, not a reflection on the movie itself. And EVERYTHING ELSE! The ANIMATION. The MUSIC. The CELTIC-NESS. Gahhh, it's so gorgeous.

    Great review! "Try shutting yours!" xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It being so underrated is crazy! Whenever I hear that someone has seen it AND liked it I get super excited! (Btw, your comment made me so happy! Thanks girl! <3)

      Exactly! I get the dragging on the middle, sometimes even with my favorite movies I have that because I get impatient to see my favorite parts. XD AHH. IT'S A MASTERPIECE. <3

      Thank you! :D That quote! XD

      Delete
  8. I love this one too! The music, the colors, and the story of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so good! Everything together makes an outstanding movie!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles