"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Movie Review: The Adventures of Tintin (2011)

Hello, to all of you!

It seems to be a trend to take some classic cartoon (whether it is in print or a tv show) and make a movie where they change it into digital animation. I wasn't a fan of the concept, but a few of the results have turned out pretty well! One of them is this movie! I wasn't very familiar with the Tintin comics before this, but I really enjoyed this movie and since then have liked the comics that I've gotten to read!

This film takes you on quite and adventure, are you ready for this review?

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning. This is spoiler free!


The Adventures of Tintin (2011):
(aka The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn)
Based on: the comics by Hergé.
"Nothing is an accident."
Tintin is a young journalist who stumbles upon a new mystery by purchasing an antique model of a ship. The moment he does someone tries to buy it from him, but he doesn't sell it because this has really caught his interest. Through this tiny ship he finds himself on a trek around the world, and through history, where he meets friends and foes. What mysteries does the ship The Unicorn hold, and is there more that one?
"What secrets do you hold?"
Genre: Mystery, Family, Animated, Adventure.
Length: approx. 107 minutes.
Costumes: 8, animated so there isn't a lot of focus on it, but I don't mind. Nothing bad!
Script: 10, Captain Haddock swears a lot, but there aren't any bad words! He just kind of yells whatever comes into his head. His favorite is: "Billions of blue blistering barnicles!" Which my sisters and I now yell a lot, too.
Crew: Directed by: Steven Spielberg. Written by: Steven Spielberg, Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright, Joe Cornish, & Hergé.
Starring the voices of:
Jamie Bell as Tintin.
Andy Serkis as Captain Haddock. "I don't remember anything about anything."
Nick Frost and Simon Pegg as Thompson and Thompson. "I am not your sidekick, you're mine."
Daniel Craig as Ivan Ivanovitch Sakharine.
Toby Jones as Aristides Silk.
Gad Elmaleh as Omar ben Salaad.
Joe Starr as Barnaby Dawes.
Enn Reitel as Nestor & Mr. Crabtree.
Tony Curran as Lieutenant Delcour.
Sonje Fortag as Mrs. Finch.
Cary Elwes and Phillip Rhys as pilots.
Kim Stengel as Bianca Castafiore.
Nathan Meister as Market Artist.
Animation: 10, ACK. As you all know, digital animation is not my favorite, but this is absolutely spectacular! The transitions from scene to scene are phenomenal! Plus, the way that they included the original animation is brilliant. I couldn't find the image that I wanted to show you, but believe me, it's amazing.
Music: 9, it's just so much fun. It totally gets you into a mystery mood! It goes so well with the opening credits (which have the original animation) and it is great.
Music by: John Williams.
Quotes: 9, as I said above, my sisters and I quote Captain Haddock quite a bit. Tintin also has some good lines!
"The library should have the answer."
Content: 7, there is death, gross things, smoking, a lot of drinking, and violence.
Originality: 10, love it! Afterwards the mystery seems so obvious and I couldn't believe that I had missed it, but it also is super complex.
Good For: mystery lovers, literally anyone!
Age Range: It's rated PG because there is that violence and drinking. I would say anyone over 8 would be fine, but it always depends on the individual.
Overall Score: 9!
"There's something you need to know about failure, Tintin, you can never let it beat you."
Bonus thoughts:
Do you know those movies where you just have such good memories of you watching them? Well, this is one of those for me. The first time I saw this was at my grandma's and I was sitting eating orange "snow balls". The opening had me hooked and I never looked away! I made my sisters watch it as soon as they could, and it is one of our favorites! The characters are so endearing and loveable, you love to watch them. Tintin is so resourceful, and Captain Haddock has gone through some rough things but you continue to route for him. I will not forget my precious little Snowy! That dog is so adorable and I love how he gets Tintin in (and occasionally out of) trouble! If nothing else, watch for the outstanding animation! If you can't tell, I'm so impressed.



Have any of you seen this? Tell me your favorite animated mystery movie! Stay safe and healthy!

Thanks for reading!

MovieCritic

10 comments:

  1. I remember when this came out! Wow, almost a decade ago? O_O I never did watch it, though, and you've got me convinced that I need to! And John Williams did the music?? Now I HAVE to see it. :D

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! O_O I can't believe how the years fly. Time is just a lie! ;) Ah, Emily, you should watch it! I think that you'd really like it. John Williams doing to music has convinced me to watch so many movies!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I've never seen this one, but my siblings and I really enjoy the Tintin comic books/graphic novels, so we may need to watch this sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ways the incorporate the comic books is really neat, and since you're such a fan then I think you'd find this one fun!

      Delete
  3. Tintin is one of my all time favorite movies. I watched it first and then got into the comics, which are spectacular. It's such a fun movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the same with me! I think I'd heard of the comics before seeing it, but this movie really got me started on them. I'll watch this anytime!

      Delete
  4. Love this movie!! I like the comic books too. ;) I think it's cool that they were first written in French.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! It's neat to experience that bit of French culture when reading the comics, even when they are in English. Foreign films and books are so fun.

      Delete
  5. I adore both the movies and the comics. Animated movies often don't get such a stellar cast, soundtrack, or such breathtaking animation. I'd pay to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Usually they get one of those, if any, but this movie has it all. I would, too!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles