"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Monday, June 10, 2019

Movie Review: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)

Hello!

Remember way back in October of 2017 when I reviewed the original Pirates of the Caribbean? Well, I'm finally getting around to the sequels. Sorry about the long wait.

Why am I getting to it now? Yesterday was Johnny Depp's birthday, so I have an excuse!

Enjoy!


My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.


Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006):
Based on: the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. (I still can't get over how they based this on a ride. Wow.)
'"My compass is unique."
"Unique here meaning broken."'
William Turner and Elizabeth Swann have been thrown in jail for assisting in the escape of a pirate. Lord Becket will only realize them from their fate if Will goes to find Jack Sparrow and brings back his compass. When Will finds him, Jack agrees to give him the compass, if he will help him find a key. The key unlocks a chest where the contents could control the whole sea. Jack tricks Will onto getting aboard the Flying Dutchman, the ship of Davy Jones and his undead pirate crew. Will finds that there may be more at stake then his and Elizabeth's lives. Meanwhile, Elizabeth escaped jail, along with carrying papers of mark. She goes across the sea to once again find William Turner.
'"It's a key!"
"No, much, much better: it's a drawing of a key."'
Genre: Swashbuckler, Adventure.
Length: approx. 150 minutes (yeah, it's long).
Costumes: 6, there are some low things, and several times when people are not wearing shirts.
Script: 8, one or two bad words.
'"You actually were telling the truth!"
"I do that a lot actually, you people are always surprised."'
Crew:
Directed by: Gore Verbinski.
Written by: Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio.
Starring:
Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow.
Orlando Bloom as Will Turner. "You have a touch of destiny about you."
Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Swann.
Bill Nighy as Davy Jones.
Stellan Skarsgård as "Bootstrap Bill" Turner.
Jack Davenport as James Norrington.
Kevin McNally as Gibbs.
Tom Hollander as Lord Beckett.
Jonathan Pryce as Governor Swann.
Lee Arenberg as Pintel.
Mackenzie Crook as Ragetti.
Naomie Harris as Tia Dalma.
Cinematography: 9, so there are parts that are a little dark, and others that you can obviously see the CGI, but the choreography is AMAZING. There is a fight scene in here that is so awesome, it is my favorite in any movie. (It isn't that violent, it is mostly a sword fight.)
Cinematography by: Dariusz Wolski
Music: 10! I love this score.
Music by: Hans Zimmer.
Quotes: 8. My sister and I quote this almost all the time:
"I've got a jar of dirt! I've got a jar of dirt! And guess what's inside it!"
Oscars won: Best Visual Effects.
Storyline: 5, Oh dear. Okay, so there is: death, gross things, scary things, drinking, smoking, kissing, torture, suggestive things, cannibalism, and loss of limbs. I am exhausted after typing all of that.
Good For: people who enjoy swashbucklers, people who like adventure.
Age Range: This is rated PG-13, so I would go with that (though I watched it when I was younger).
Overall Score: 7.5.
Bonus thoughts:
Usually I don't really like sequels, especially sequels that are building up to more sequels, but I really like this one. None of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are as good as Curse of the Black Pearl, but this one is really good. As I said, there are problems with it, but I LOVE the sword fights and music. Oh yeah.


Right now, my header has a picture from this movie:
The bottom center one. The top center one is from the first movie.


Have you seen this? What do you think? Thank you so much for reading!

MovieCritic

12 comments:

  1. I really need to re watch all of these. They always make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been so long that my sister had completely forgotten the storyline! Same. :)

      Delete
  2. This movie was pretty cool! -Jose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh but I do like this movie! That whole swordfight sequence might just make it my favorite POTC film...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! It is amazing!! I can't even imagine the amount of work the put into it. :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen this, but I would like to. :)

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should see this and the first one! Let me know what you think when you do!

      Delete
  5. As you said, not as great as the first one, which I really love, but not bad for a sequel. And YES, that fight scene is one of the best in any movie ever! The choreography is just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as bad as the others turned out, so the series started off okay. ;) I love watching swashbucklers, especially old ones, but I can't think of a scene that tops this one! I love how they did it.

      Delete
  6. This one is my fave of the Pirates movies!! :D

    www.melodypersonetteauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles