"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Friday, June 7, 2019

The D-Day Blogathon: TV Series Review: Combat! Season 1, Episode 11: "A Day in June"

Hello, everyone!

In commemoration of the 75th anniversary of D-Day (which was yesterday), Hamlette (who blogs at Hamlette's Soliloquy) and Eva (who blogs at Coffee, Classics, and Craziness) are hosting a blogathon!
I knew that I wanted to participate in some way, but I wasn't sure how. I was rather slow so when I got there a lot of different entries were already claimed. Because of this, I am doing some thing that I have never done before... review something out of order! When I asked Hamlette what she would recommend, and she suggested an episode of her favorite TV show, Combat!.

There are some TV shows where you must watch them in order that they air, or else you would be confused, but there are others where you can watch them in any order. From what I understand, Combat! is like the latter one. Each episode has its own story that you can watch at any time. If you watch it in the order that it was made then you see it in the historical order too. It's up to you.

Update: Actually, as Hamlette pointed out to me in the comments, this was written as the pilot of the show, but decided later to use a different beginning. So, this could be the perfect one to start with!


My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.


Combat!: Season 1, Episode 11: "A Day in June" (1962):
Based on: The events of June 6th, 1944, known as D-Day.
"This isn't a pig pen, it's a chicken coop."
One rainy night, Sergent Saunders recalls the events of D-Day. He and his troops were waiting for weeks before they finally started the attack. Their job was to get to a farm house and find out who was staying there. If is was an enemy, they were supposed to report back. Each soldier is a little nervous, for good reason. When they have to change their plans, they all wonder, who will make it back alive?
"That's all anybody can do, try."
Genre: Action.
Length: approx. 47 minutes.
Costumes: 8, nothing bad, but nothing spectacular.
Script: 10, no bad words!
'"It's either fog or low hanging clouds."
"What's the difference between fog and low hanging clouds?"'
Crew:
Directed by: Boris Sagal.
Written by: Robert Pirosh.
Starring:
Rick Jason as Lt. Gil Hanley. "You're getting smart, lieutenant."
Vic Morrow as Sgt. "Chip" Saunders.
Steven Rogers as PFC "Doc" Walton. (He was my favorite, just to let you all know).
Shecky Greene as Pvt. Braddock.
Pierre Jalbert as Caddy.
Pat Dahl as Hazel.
Lisa Montell as Marcelle.
Dean Stanton as Beecham.
Cinematography: 8.
Music: 8, I feel like if I watched this a lot I would get it stuck in my head, but not for one time viewing.
Music by: Leonard Rosenman.
Quotes: 8. "Beautiful H2O is coming down in buckets."
Storyline: 7, there is some smoking, death, and fighting scenes. This is a war TV show called "Combat!".
Age Range: As I said, it does feature death, but I would say that anyone over 10 would be fine. Maybe not interested, but fine.
Overall Score: 8.
Bonus thoughts:
It was definitely interesting to see the different view points on D-Day.
This was a fun introduction to the show for me, and I hope that if you watch it then you enjoy it, too! I will be watching more episodes in the future.


(Sorry about the lack of photos, these are all that I could find!)

A huge thank you to Hamlette and Eva for hosting this! Make sure to go check out all of the other entries HERE.

Have you seen any episodes of Combat!? Let me know what you thought of them. Thanks for reading!

MovieCritic

6 comments:

  1. This was actually the pilot episode for the show, and then they added the beginning and ending scenes later to make it a flashback and aired it like episode 8 or something?

    Because it was the pilot, the characters were all... a little different than they will be for the bulk of the show. Writers and actors still working their way into the shape of the show, as generally happens with most shows.

    I'm sorry to tell you that Doc Walton is only in season one. They get a different doc in season two who is, imho, even better. If you want to try another ep or two, I recommend either "One More for the Road" or "The Long Way Home," which is the two-parter I reviewed on my blog a year or two ago. You should be able to find both on YouTube :-)

    So excited you gave my favorite show a try! And thanks so much for joining the blogathon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Wow, that's neat! I learn something everyday! Thanks for the info!

      What!? A different doc? But Doc Walton is so sweet! Well, I guess I'll have to try the other seasons to fully get into the characters. I definitely am interested enough to watch more, so I'll check out those episodes you listed. :-)

      Yes! I've read what you've writted about it so much that I was excited to finally get the chance! Sure thing, thank you for hosting it. :-)

      Delete
  2. Ah, it was neat to read a more analytical review! This isn't one of my favorite episodes, but it's valuable for the focus on D-Day. :)

    Thanks for participating in the blogathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you enjoyed it! True, and I'm looking forward to the other episodes. :)

      Thank you for hosting it!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a neat movie!

    astorydetective.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles