"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Friday, June 14, 2019

Movie Review: Lilo and Stitch (2002)

Aloha!

Are you all feeling "summery" yet? I am, because today I will be reviewing a movie to get you into a "summery" mood! I mean, when you think of summer, at one point you think of Hawaii, right?

"I was afraid you were going to say that."

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.


Lilo and Stitch (2002):
'"So it is a monster!"
"Only a small one!"'
Experiment 626, created by Dr. Jumba Jookiba, has gone rogue and crash landed on the planet Earth. At first the Grand Councilwoman wants to destroy the planet, but Agent Pleakley convinces her to let Dr. Jumba and himself go and bring it back. Meanwhile, an orphan named Lilo, who lives in Hawaii, is lonely, with only her big sister Nani as a friend. Nani sees that Lilo is upset, and to keep her out of trouble she decides that Lilo should have a dog. At the shelter there is a very strange looking "dog" who Lilo immediately decides will make the perfect pet. She names him Stitch. What she doesn't know is that this creature is Experiment 626! Will they be best friends, or will Dr. Jumba and Pleakley take Stitch away and break up Nani and Lilo's small family?
"Sometimes things have to change."
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Family.
Length: approx. 85 minutes.
Costumes: 6, there are quite a few times where people are not wearing shirts, or have short clothing. There also isn't a wide range. But, it's animation, you know? How fancy are you expecting it to be?
Script: 10! No bad words!
"It's little and broken, but still good."
Crew:
Directed by: Chris Sanders & Dean DeBlois.
Written by: Chris Sanders & Dean DeBlois.
Starring (the voices of):
Daveigh Chase as Lilo.
Chris Sanders as Stitch.
Tia Carrere as Nani.
David Ogden Stiers as Dr. Jumba Jookiba.
Kevin McDonald as Agt. Wendell Pleakley.
Jason Scott Lee as David Kawena.
Ving Rhames as Cobra Bubbles (Can we talk about how awesome these names are??)
Kevin Michael Richardson as Captain Gantu.
Zoe Caldwell as the Grand Councilwoman.
Miranda Paige Walls as Mertle Edmonds.
Animation: 9! You know me, I love classic animation. I love how they used watercolors for the background.
Music: 9, I love all of the Hawaiian themed music, and then of course all of the Elvis songs.
Music by: Alan Silvestri.
Quotes: 10: "Ohana means family: family means that nobody gets left behind."
Notes: There are Easter eggs! I have only spotted one, but I know where another is, I just am always so interested in the story that I forget to look.
Storyline: 8, there are some gross things and one or two suggestive things, but perfectly lean besides that.
Good For: All families, everyone.
Age Range: This is Disney, so it is made for all ages! Little kids will love Stitch and no matter how old you are we can appreciate what the deeper meanings. This is the perfect family movie.
Overall Score: 8.5!
Bonus thoughts:
I absolutely love how Chris Sanders had the idea of "Hey, what if an alien comes to Hawaii and becomes a little girl's dog?" This was always one of my favorites when I was younger. As I keep saying, the message of looking for a family is so beautiful! And I'm sure that we can all relate to feeling like an ugly duckling at some time in our lives.

"In case you were wondering, this did not go well."

What? I thought I did a good job!

Well, what do you think? Have you seen this movie? Thanks for reading!

Aloha!

MovieCritic

2 comments:

  1. I adore Lilo and Stitch to an almost sad degree XD It's just so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilo and Stitch is just the cutest movie ever and any time that I spend watching it is never wasted! My love for it may be a little pathetic, too. XD

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles