"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Monday, August 7, 2023

Seven Years Ago: Movies Meet Their Match + Meet The Book Blogger Tag

Friends! Romans! Country peeps!

"You" meaning "me".

Something crazy happened lo, over a fortnight ago, on the 19th of July. The official blogoversary of Movies Meet Their Match! All SEVEN YEARS.

I can't believe it. I know I say this every year, but this latest seemed to FLY BY. Especially because I didn't even really write that many posts. I've always been scattered but it has grown exponentially.

But do you know what else has grown? My love for all of you guys! I love that you take the time to read these crazy thoughts.

So even though we're late (which can only be expected because 7 is a weird number. Which means I love the little prime all the more, but things just get wacky, okay?), we're doing a big celebration.

And by big I mean I'm going to celebrate with the usual stats, filling out a tag, and chilling with you guys.

A trip down memory lane is falling down the rabbit hole...

If you want to see me when I'm more organized to throw a party, here are the other years: Hello book and movie fans (Original first post)One Year Ago (2017), Two Years Ago (2018),  Three Years Ago (2019), Four Years Ago (2020), Five Years Ago (+If I Was A Fictional Character) (2021), & Six Years Ago (+Behind the Blogger Tag) (2022).

Stats:

Followers: 74 

I love you guys!

All time page views:
153,156

Posts: (err, my bad) So at the time of July 19th, I had published 500 posts. But now this is the 502nd, because I had to join Western Cinema Week.

Top 3 most popular posts:

1. Book vs. Movie Review: Summer of the Monkeys

2. Emma Read-Along: Week 1 Discussion 

I'm guessing it's because those are linked on other blogs (the hosts), otherwise I'm confused as to why those three...

My 5 favorite posts:

1. Movie Review (& Defense Of): Little Women (2019)

2. How I am like Luke Skywalker

3. Book Reviews Featuring World War II King Arthur Legends, A Boy Named Jinx, and a Skilled Dressmaker

4. My Top Ten Fictional Characters Who Need to be Protected at All Costs aka My Children, My Sons, My "Babies"

5.  The Running Wild In Impractical Outfits Tag // Seeing if I Have Any Sense of Style


Changes/YouTube videos:

Because I've been somewhat out of touch, not many changes have happened. I've only made one more YT video since my last blogoversary. And don't get me wrong, I'm pretty proud of it! I've worked on two more since then but neither is cooperating. Okay, I finished the one. I'm just running it through a few more edits (ugh, have to update all the audio files) before releasing it into the world. I'll leave a surprise to what the song and character combo it is, but just know that I was trying to have it ready for May 4th...

For quick and easy access, here are all the fan videos I've made so far:

Kylo Ren (Star Wars)


Loki Laufyson (MCU)


Rapunzel + Eugene (Tangled)


Edward + Sandra (Big Fish)

(Does anyone even know about this movie?? Because it's one of my all time favorites)


Header:

Right after my blogoversary, but darling sister FIONA spent all day making me this GOREGEOUS HEADER. I don't ever want to take it down. It's beautiful, it's fantastic (those of you who know why I'm using those adjectives, well, you know why...) and radiates the joy that comes from petals all around us. These are the benefits of having a sister who is studying graphic design.

How many of these flowered scenes do you know?


Schedule:

...I kind of forgot that I was going to have a schedule. But now that I've been reminded of that, I'm excited for it.

Look for posts on either Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays.


Currently about me:

I am reading: Fable - by Adrienne Young. I think this could be an interesting movie. Because right now as a book I am REALLY confused.

I am rereading: The Penderwicks - by Jeanne Birdsall. My life, my love.

I am watching: Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Chat Noir, the TV show. I'm watching it in French and I love it way too stinking much. I CAN'T WAIT to watch the movie but I'm making myself finish the show first. And then I want to watch the movie in French so I'm kind of waiting for French subtitles to be an option.

I am rewatching: Sherlock. I originally watched it with my older sister and now I'm introducing my younger sister to it. I'm thoroughly enjoying it this time, unlike the first. And yes, this should explain half of the gifs in this post.

And it should also explain why this took me so long to get up. I got into a row with my computer about the gifs.


My Top 5 Favorite Books:

1. Anne of Green Gables - by L. M. Montgomery

2. Holes - by Louis Sachar

3. North & South - by Elisabeth Gaskell

4. Pride & Prejudice - by Jane Austen

5. Anna Karenina - by Leo Tolstoy

I don't know, y'all, I really REALLY loved All the Crooked Saints, so I may have to readjust my rankings one day...


My Top 5 Favorite Movies:

1. Singin' in the Rain (1952)

2. It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

3. STAR WARS IV: A New Hope (1977)

4. STAR WARS VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)

5. Amazing Grace (2006)

These have been pretty stationary for awhile. Though the amount of times that I watch Enola Holmes may be putting it in the running...


My Top 5 TV Shows:

Yes, new category! But it seems apt because I watch so many of them. Ooops. And because this is new and you're dying to know why, I've supplied reasons.

1. Robin Hood BBC (I've written over 40 posts about it, so...no comment)

2. Julie and the Phantoms (Again, many posts have been written, so I'm shutting up now.)

3. Once Upon a Time (...can I count it if I haven't finished watching it? I don't care. I'm counting it because I love it to Neverland and back.)

4. Carmen Sandiego (Yes, this is an animated TV show. No, I will not be taking criticism at this time. I will also not be telling you how many times I've watched it.)

5. Merlin (I'm also rewatching this and it is PAIN.)

You guys know this is how I am when I talk about my favorite things.


Meet The Book Blogger Tag:

Because how else do you celebrate besides filling out tags?


Rules:

Nominated bloggers can nominate ten other bloggers

Use the same questions from the tag

Tag the original creator (Bibliomavens) and the blogger who tagged you (Sam) (thanks, dear!!)


Who is your all-time favourite book character?

OUCH. 

I'm trying to think of someone that I haven't talked about on this blog before. (Because otherwise it would be my beloved Levin, my Kostya, but I raved about him HERE.)

Right now I may have to say Inej Ghafa (from The Dregs duology, Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom)? Kaz has a tragic backstory of betrayal and whatnot but INEJ. She has been through things no human should ever deal with. And yet she has a hope, a faith, and a heart. She's part of one of the most ruthless gangs in Ketterdam, but she maintains a balance and a mercy. The former is necessary for her to be the Wraith, and the latter shows that the heart is like an arrow.

The casting here? PHENOMENAL. Favorite part of the show is hands down the casting.

If you were stranded on a desert island, which book would you take with you? (Survival books do not count)

For practical reasons, Wild Bird - by Wendelin Van Draanen, because it's about a girl surviving in the wilderness. And yes, she's part of a rehab camp so the counselors are going to make sure she doesn't die, but I feel like it would be comforting all the same. And educational, giving me tips on how to find water and whatnot. And yes, I know that it says "survival books do not count", but this isn't particularly in that genre. It's a certified novel. 

For unpractical reasons of I'm-just-going-to-sit-here-and-read-for-semi-eternity, it may be something like 100 Days of Sunlight. Because I would read it all the way through. Then I would read only Tessa's chapters. Then I would read only Weston's chapters. Then I would read it all the way through. So, any with a split timeline would be entertaining, I think.


What’s your most unpopular book opinion?

Right now its probably that I didn't like The Thief - by Megan Whalen Turner. *ducks*

I felt like yelling, "You want everything to be so clever!" And it really doesn't have to be. Can we get deeper with characters instead?


I couldn't find the gif I wanted, but this duo will do.


What’s your weirdest bookish habit?

Why is this question so hard? I couldn't think of anything I haven't already talked about on this blog so asked my sister.

She said that I talk while reading a lot. I laugh and explain to myself what's happening. 

And she said that something weird is that I can read with other people talking, music/radio on. 


What character would you bring to a family event as your fake partner?

I'm kind of inclined to bring the Mad Hatter just to confirm for my family that I've gone insane, too.

But they'd see right through my charade. If I actually wanted them to believe me so they'd stop pestering me with the questions, maybe I should bring someone more moody. But there should still be a level of madness.

Okay, for some reason I would want to bring Count of Monte Cristo characters? Not that I liked them? But because they have a prestige which would really impress folks. You know what, yes, the Count has nice flair. And we would come in together in style. He's much too busy with revenge to even consider it, but if I could convince him that I will do something for him if he does this for me? But then I'd probably bail because I'm not good enough at anything to negotiate for skills.



What made you decide to start a book blog?

It was more about starting a blog where I would compare movies to books, that's why the movies meet their match. After focusing on movies for a long time I've kind of begun including books, too. Just anything with a story! And the reason is because I was always telling my family facts and opinions and they thought I should channel that somewhere.

Me whenever my sisters bring up something I should write a blog post about.


What about reading and books do you love the most?

How I can flawlessly see what's happening when I'm in the moment, but it's like a cloud because the moment you try to grab it and see it when you're not reading, you can't.


What is your field of study/desired profession/current profession?

...what does this have to do with reading?

Ahem.

I guess I have to answer...

I'm a college student who's a math major with a concentration in business and possible minors in theology and Spanish. My desired profession is to run my dad's business of managing property while be an author in my free time.


What are some book recommendations that became your favourites/obsessions?

A Series of Unfortunate Events - by Lemony Snicket : recommended by my sister Em. I used to hate it. I started watching the show to mock it. I fell in love. I'm back on the books and my sister is feeling smug.

When You Reach Me - by Rebecca Stead: recommended by my sister Fiona. This is one of those simple books where it seems like nothing big is happening but EVERYTHING is. Fabulous.

The Truth About Twinkie Pie - by Kat Yeh: recommended by my sister Fiona. ACK. Two summers ago I sat crying over this book. And I still haven't recovered. But I'm starting to get the insane idea that I should reread it. Quick, someone talk me out of this before I subject myself to more crying.

Anne of Green Gables - by L. M. Montgomery: recommended by my mom. I talked about that HERE.

A Man Called Ove - by Fredrik Backman: recommended by Sam. It's her own fault because then she had to hear me talk about how much I adore it.

The Wednesday Wars and Okay For Now - by Gary D. Schmidt: This is a conglomeration of being recommended by Sam, Sarah Seele, and The Nutmeg. I now want to read Gary D. Schmidt yearly.

Speak Easy, Speak Love - by McKelle George: recommended by Hamlette. Guys, I shouldn't love this as much as I do. But I do. It was the perfect thing to read coming out of the most recent semester.

This is how you guys have made me feel. The obsession is rolling off me in waves.


What is the book you shove down everyone’s throat?

I've gotten remarkably chill in my throat shoving experiences. I have reached a point of understanding how vastly different each of us are and how we have so many likes and dislikes that no one story can cover that for everyone.

Therefore these have two different categories. 

There are books that I think everyone should read regardless of whether they like it or not because it is an important portrayal of humanity. Like The Kite Runner. Ugh, that book is SO PAINFUL.

Then there are books that I enjoy SO MUCH that I want all my friends to read it so they understand my heart and soul. Which is currently All the Crooked Saints - by Maggie Stiefvater.



I tag... (I like that it's up to 10 instead of exactly 10. So we're doing 10 divided by 10)

Sarah Seele

In the nicest possible way.


Here's a clean list of the questions:

Who is your all-time favourite book character?

If you were stranded on a desert island, which book would you take with you? (Survival books do not count)

What’s your most unpopular book opinion?

What’s your weirdest bookish habit?

What character would you bring to a family event as your fake partner?

What made you decide to start a book blog?

What about reading and books do you love the most?

What is your field of study/desired profession/current profession?

What are some book recommendations that became your favourites/obsessions?

What is the book you shove down everyone’s throat?



Thank you SO MUCH for reading!! Thank you to those who have been here for all 7 years, thank you to those who have just stumbled across this blog, and thank you to all the in-between. You're comments and thoughts make my day. Scratch that, they make my week.

I think this calls for a dance party.

Now, dear readers, what have you been up to? Tell me all the things! Until next fictional rambling!


Chloe the MovieCritic

2 comments:

  1. 1. Happy blogaversary!

    2. Your new header is fantabulous. Even though I can only identify 5 of the scenes in it.

    3. SO glad you liked Speak Easy, Speak Love! I am considering pulling it off the shelf for a late-summer reread this month...

    4. I tagged you with the Sunshine Blogger Award! Play if you want to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on seven years, Chloe!! Here's to seven more years, or even more than that! (And the new header is GORGEOUS. AMAZING. BEAUTIOUS.)

    (So excited to talk about Penderwicks. Even though I haven't started reading it yet. *hides*)

    Happy to see you do the tag! :D

    Wild Bird would be a great book to take to a desert island! And a split timeline book is also a great choice, I hadn't even thought of that.

    I PROMISE that you'll like the other books in the Queen's Thief series better, Chloe. I PROMISE. (*darkly mutters* and you'd better, or else we can't be friends any more) (jk.)

    :D It makes me happy that two of the books on your "recommendations to favorites" list came from me. :) And I never mind hearing about how much you adore Ove.

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles