"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Monday, July 11, 2022

5 Lessons from Cosmo Brown on How to Be the Perfect Best Friend

"Ladies and gentlemen,

I can't tell you how thrilled" I am to be talking about my favorite movie of all time. If you've stuck around for a while, you have probably heard me mention this fact--Singin' in the Rain (1952) is my favorite movie period-- a few times. I think it was 2014 or 2015 when I first saw it (if not longer ago!) and ever since it has been a real challenge for movies to even come close to it. It's not everyone's jam, but it's a movie about movies and as a movie critic it really can't get much better than that. But it is, it's pure comedy gold.

Ever since I saw it all those years ago, I've had a favorite character. I mean, you can't help but love Don and Kathy, but there is someone else who pushes this movie over the top into my heart.

Big ol' blue eyes, Cosmo Brown.


Some people will tell him "Well! What do you know about it? You--you--piano player! Are you anybody?", but he is the heart of this movie. Steadfast and sure, you look for him in every scene. He makes dancing look like such a joy, you can't help but watch him (and his marvelous facial expressions) over anyone else in the shot. He's billed second, so his character is important and the movie wouldn't be the same without him. He doesn't really have an agenda/motivation besides supporting Don, but we love him for it.

He and Don Lockwood are the dictionary definition of "best friends", and today I'll show you all how. I mean, if you've already seen the movie, you know. I've learned a lot from him, and you can, too. These tips can help you "from looking ridiculous at any cost."

Well, Cosmo himself says "No one's got that much money."

Want to be the dictionary definition of "best friend" yourself? Try these five things.

Disclaimer: I don't know if these are spoilers, per say, as that really depends on your definition. But, I think a lot of this won't make sense if you haven't seen the movie Singin' in the Rain (1952). Save reading this post until you have! In order to get the most enjoyment out of it, you know.


5: Be There for Your Friend.

"Well, to begin with, any story of my lifetime career would have to include my lifetime friend, Cosmo Brown! We were kids together, grew up together, worked together!" 
You don't have to have known your best friend from when you were little kids. That would discount a lot of wonderful people! I only met one of my best friends last year. Don and Cos have been friends for ages, but their friendship speaks volume because they are still as tight as ever. Being in the same business, they were able to travel with each other across the country--like to Oatmeal NB--and stick together. But, you don't have to live in the same town to be friends. If that was a requirement I would be out of luck.


When Don got into bigger roles in movies, Cosmo could have moved on but he stayed and "He plays piano on the set to get Don and Lina into those romantic moods." This isn't to say that you should sacrifice your goals in life to be insignificant next to your friend! Not at all! Don't worry about Cosmo, he's going to "stop suffering and write that symphony."

But, what is this, MC? You're telling us all the stuff we don't need to do. What do we need to do?

Look at Cosmo's face! He's happy to see his friend.

Be there. Cosmo is there for every one of Don's big events in life. He is the ultimate cheerleader and supporter. Notice what are milestones for your friend and give them encouragement if you aren't able to gift them with your presence. Cosmo is there even when Don can't be with his girlfriend due to publicity.

I'm mostly here to talk about Cosmo, but a true friendship needs two or more people to be involved, and Don carries his part splendidly. At the start of the movie, people have waited eagerly for Lockwood and Lamont to arrive, and Cosmo has had to suffer their disappointment. When people want to hear from Don, he immediately gives credit to Cosmo. Our Cos is rewarded for his loyalty. Don shakes hands with him (which the reporter isn't too happy with) and puts his arm around Cosmo's shoulder when they walk away. Together.



4: Have your Friend's Back



This is an example of Cos messing around, but seriously, though, Cosmo is a great wingman. He sees Kathy first in the "Beautiful Girl" number, and immediately runs of to get Don. We don't see it, but we know Cosmo has been there every step of the way because he says, "Gee I'm glad you turned up, we've been looking in every cake in town." Without the above gifs, Don wouldn't have even met Kathy, so we have Cosmo to thank for all of this.


Cosmo cares because Don cares and supports him even when everything seems hopelessly messed up. He looks for honor in the people Don deals with.
"Simpson, I once gave you a cigar. Can I have it back?"
He and Don have the spontaneous part of life perfected. They can throw out stories and improvise like no one else. The "Fit as a Fiddle" scene proved that to us. They always back each other up. It's hilarious, the things that you notice in a movie when you aren't watching the person you're supposed to be watching. For example, the way Cosmo reacts when Don says "dignity". He's not going to argue that point, that would be not having his friend's back, but he is marking it down for later.

Cosmo's face says, "Wait a minute..."


3: Be Honest and Encouraging

After Don goes through an embarrassing situation, the first thing he does is consult Cosmo.
'"Listen, Cos, tell me the truth: am I a good actor?"
"Well, as long as I'm working for Monumental pictures, you're the greatest of them all!"
"No, no kidding, Cos. You're my pal, you can tell me."
"What's wrong with you? Of course you're good!"
"Well, maybe you better keep telling me from time to time. I feel a little shaken."
Cosmo is humor in a living form, but he can drop it when he sees his best friend is down. He knows when Don needs shaking up, and after all their years of friendship, he knows exactly how to do it. 
'"Have you ever seen anything so idiotic as me on that screen tonight?"
"Yeah, Lina."
"Well, I ran her a close second."'

via GIPHY

There isn't a scene that Don starts out discouraged that he doesn't leave a little more hopeful after Cosmo talks to him. Cosmo reminds Don that things aren't Don's fault and that he does the best he can do. And that is good enough. Which really, is some of the best things a friend can say to you.

Oh my goodness, I love that they are all holding hands!

 

"Come on now, snap out of it! You can't let a little thing like this get you down! Why, you're Don Lockwood, aren't you? And Don Lockwood's an actor, isn't he? Well what's the first thing an actor learns? 'The show must go on! Come rain, come shine, come snow, come sleet. The show must go on!'"


2: Help Your Friend Out of Boring Situations

You know those pesky situations where you have to take diction classes because every actor is having to do it? Think of the joy when your best friend comes and gets you out of that situation to have fun. In a musical way, of course. First, you must help your friend say "sniped his snifter" correctly. Then distract the diction coach. Then sing and dance. It's the natural order of things. I don't even have to talk about this as the following speaks for itself.



Only the best of friends would do this with you.






But most importantly,


1: Make 'Em Laugh.

via GIPHY

Don't you know the whole world wants to laugh? This goes along with encouragement, but it is cheering people up. It is reminding them of the joys of life. Cosmo has quick responses for everything and is hilarious. He can turn the rainiest day into sunshine.

'Don: "Anyway, I'm through fellas."
Kathy: "Don, you're not through!"
Cosmo: "Of course not! Why, with your looks and your figure, you could drive an ice wagon or shine shoes."
Kathy: "Block hats."
Cosmo: "Sell pencils"
Kathy: "Dig ditches"
Cosmo: "Or worst still, go back into Vaudeville."'
We have the whole "Make 'Em Laugh" scene, but that is not the only time Cosmo performs to turn Don's frown upside down. When the show has been a bust, he makes both Kathy and Don laugh after a reprise of "Fit as a Fiddle". He has a true gift. Everything he does has a touch of slapstick which never fails to brighten Don's day. (And mine. Mostly mine.)
'"Don you're a genius!"
"Hm, I'm glad you thought of it."
"Oh, Cosmo."

'"I can't get her out of my hair! This cooked up romance just for publicity..."
"The price of fame, Don! Now you've got the glory, you gotta take the little heartaches that go with it. Now look at me, I got no glory, I got no fame, I got no big mansions, I got no money, but I've got--what have I got?"
"I don't know, what have you got?"
"I gotta get out of here!"'

That's right, this movie has been around for 70 years, and we're sure glad it has been. Make sure to check out all the other entries! I'm at the last minute, it's almost like I came by way of Australia...

Thanks for reading! Does anyone else love Cosmo as much as I do? What are some lessons you've learned from him? What are your favorite fictional best friends? Until next time,



Chloe the MovieCritic

4 comments:

  1. I just watched Singin' in the Rain again recently. Such a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cahn't tell you how much I enjoyed this, Chloe ;) Your post makes it clear why the movie wouldn't be nearly as much fun without Donald O'Connor. His friendship with Don is the glue that holds it all together, keeps the movie grounded, and provides loads of laughs along the way. Thank you for bringing Cosmo to my blogathon through your wonderful tribute!

    P.S. Have you seen I Love Melvin (1953) starring Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor? It's a cute one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, I LOVE this post! You made some great points. And I never noticed Cosmo's face when Don goes off into his "Dignity" spiel...but now I'll never not notice it. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cosmo is os much more than the Make 'Em Laugh number - a number that is impressive on its own. I love his friendship with Don and later with Cathy. You wrote a wonderful post.
    Cheers!
    Le

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles