"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

10 Words Stories "Ruined" For Me

Hello, friends!

Ages ago (I just looked it up and apparently it's over two years? Huh, that's where all my lost time has gone) Nicole Dust did a post called A Few of My Ruined Words. In it, she talked about how some "normal words" now prompt a different line of thought whenever they are mentioned. Basically, they are forever imprinted into our mind with a different meaning. Thanks a lot, stories!


As you can guess from the title of this post, I have my own words that do that! Ever since I read her post I've been slowly collecting them, but with a twist. I have tried to find words that no one else (besides my sisters) would find "ruined". This shows a really specific range of what I watch and how deeply I attach myself to them. Well, not intentionally, as most of these I can't help it.

Nicole had them all in a dictionary definition, which was super clever. I'm going to try to do that, but I'm not that clever so I'm also going to directly tell you what it is from and what situations pop up from that word being "ruined".

(If I have a least favorite word in the world, it is probably "ruined", but this idea is so fun I will accept it in this case)


assets
plural noun

1. Your brains, Fezzik's strength, my steel.
2. Why didn't you list [a wheelbarrow] among [them] in the first place


I've been watching The Princess Bride (1987) for as long as I can remember, so it is engrained into my personality. Especially this word for some strange reason. It doesn't come up in common conversation frequently, but when it does I think of Westley.



Brad 
proper name or noun

1. Someone who does a job because he was trained to do it, not because he loves it.

(see: nails, General)


Sometime I want to do a version with just names and what they make me think of. For example, if someone says Peter, what is the likelihood that I will think of a fictional character? This is just a sampling of that, but I have it in this list because it is a common object that always brings it to mind.

When I'm working with my dad, he'll sometimes have me go get some brads, which are a special kind of nail. Five minutes later, I wonder why I'm thinking about the movie Patton (1970) when I didn't even like it! Well, my favorite character was someone named Brad. What can I say, even my own mind is a mystery to me.



mature 
adjective

1. As opposed to childish and shot full of holes
2.  Instead of almost any other man who would have to stick around to prove that they are a man and get a whole town shot up to boot. 
3. Taking a job then when the going gets tough he sneaks out (clarify whether in the day or the night).
4. I don't believe it


Really anything Prudy says in Support Your Local Sheriff (1969) is my favorite ever and sticks with me.



olives 
noun

1. Something to tempt one away from one's grief if one cares for them.


Guys, you must be wondering what this even is. Mrs. Jennings says olives for all of two seconds in Sense and Sensibility (1995) yet EVERY TIME the word pops up, my sisters and I ask each other, "Does she care for olives?"



plastic 
adjective

pronounced: (plaz * tek)

1. They're just people.

(see: toys)


I found a video on YouTube calling this scene the Best of The Indian in the Cupboard (1995), and it really is. How can one word be so quotable? When it's said a certain way, of course.



popular
adjective

1. Gusteau's
2. Surprising because someone left a review condemning it to the tourists.


I have more that I can do with Ratatouille (2007), so look for those in the future. Who here thinks I'm like Anton Ego? *raises hand*



priorities
plural noun

1. killed, or worse, expelled. 
2. Something she needs to sort out.


Like Ratatouille, there are several words Harry Potter has set aside in my mind, so here's a taste. I'm starting to see a pattern of characters making the words so memorable, so does a rose by any other name smell as sweet? (Translation: If they said different words at these times, would THOSE stick with me? Sorry, I'm tired and have been working on this all day, so sense is long gone)



soy sauce
noun

1. cleaning material? Does not, in fact, remove spots
2. Mrs. Meers swears by it.

Keep in mind that just because it is on this list, that doesn't mean I like the movie. It is just stuck in my head. It's surprising because I only saw Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967) for the first time a few years ago yet it's already made impressions.



specialty
noun

pronounced: (spe * shi * ality)

1. Scaring.


Should I love Descendants 2 (2017) as much as I do? Probably not, but I don't care. Harry could say "cheese" and it would be terrifying. My sisters and I always say "speciality" like he does and it annoys our mom because she doesn't get it.



yar 
adjective

1. Easy to handle, quick to the helm, fast, bright.
2. Everything a boat should be. Until she develops dry lot.


MC, how often does "yar" come up in normal conversation? Okay, not that often. But, when people say "arr" like a pirate, my brain usually goes to The Philadelphia Story (1940). It's also a great Scrabble word, even though my dictionary doesn't recognize it.



There you have it! I just love this idea of Nicole's and want to thank her a lot for the inspiration. And thanks to all of you for reading! Are any of these words "ruined" for you in the same way? What about different ways? Any other words you feel like mentioning?

I hope you all have a happy July!

Chloe the MovieCritic

1 comment:

  1. Okay, this is hilarious, and I love it! I know that I have words that are like this for me, but I guess they're just so natural to me that I am having trouble thinking of them off the top of my head! XD

    I was not expecting "olives" at all, and HA that is fantastic.

    Also, "priorities". XD XD XD That scene is one of my favorites in the entire Harry Potter universe.

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles