"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Book vs. Movie Review: The Princess Bride

Hello!
Welcome to my second day of my Halloween Blog Party!
I am super excited to review this because there are a few movies that I have always remembered seeing, and this is one of them! Plus, this year is the 30th anniversary of the movie!!!
"Do you always begin conversation like this?"

My older sister came up with this idea after I said I wanted to be Captain Hook, and I agreed that it was a good one! And now to do a review....
"It won't be easy."
"Try ruling the world sometime."

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless it says so. 

The Princess Bride - by S. Morgenstern (William Goldman):
"As you wish..."
Buttercup is just a farm girl, but she is the most beautiful woman in the world. She loves Westley, but after a few accidents, she catches the eye of Prince Humperdink who wants to marry her. She begins will marry him in a few weeks, but she is kidnapped!
"You understand nothing, but it really doesn't matter, since what you mean is, you're glad to see me, just as I'm glad to see you because no more loneliness."
Genre: Adventure, Romance, Swashbuckler!
Characters: 9, they are pretty great, Mr. Goldman did a great job!
My favorites:
Westley, 'The farm boy had eyes like the sea before a storm...'
Fezzik
Inigo
Buttercup
Miracle Max, "Let's be honest with each other; sure, you're a genius, but even a genius gets rusty."
Words: 7, a few bad words and swearing.
'It was death chess and he was international grand master.'
Notes: In the "abridgement" Mr. Goldman mentions The Wizard of Oz.
Notes on introduction: The book is pretty clean, but the introduction is not so much (swearing, suggestive stuff). And if you read the first chapter of the "sequel" it has suggestive stuff.
Storyline: 6, there is revenge, fighting, kissing, talk of killing, drinking, torture, and death.
"Excuses are the refuge of cowards."
Good For: Adventure lovers!
Overall Score: 8! It is a great book! "That is perhaps the most childishly obvious remark I have ever come across, but what can you expect from a strangler."


VS.


The Princess Bride (1987):
Based on the book by William Goldman:
"As you wish..."
A Grandfather decides to read The Princess Bride to his Grandson. "When I was your age, television was called books." A book of "Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles..."
Buttercup has lived her whole life on a farm, until Prince Humperdinck decides to marry her. One day as she is out on her daily ride, she gets kidnapped!
"Life is pain, highness, anyone who says otherwise is selling something."
Oh, and did I mention the awesome fencing scene?
Genre: Adventure, Romance, Swashbuckler!
Length: 98 minutes (approx.).
"Move that thing...and that other thing!"
Costumes: 9, they are all so beautiful! There are a few scenes where someone isn't wearing a shirt.
My favorite:
Script: 9, it is brilliant! There are maybe one of two bad words.
"Inconceivable!"
"You keep using that word, I do not think that word means what you think it means."
Crew:
Directed by: Rob Reiner.
Produced by:
Andrew Scheinman,
Rob Reiner.
Based on: The Princess Bride, - by William Goldman.
Screenplay by: William Goldman.
Starring:
Robin Wright as Buttercup.
Chris Sarandon as Prince Humperdinck. "I think everything is a trap, that's why I'm still alive."
Cary Elwes as Westley.
Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya. "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."

Peter Falk as Grandpa/The Narrator.
Fred Savage as The Grandson. "I wasn't worried, maybe I was concerned. It's not the same thing."
Christopher Guest as Count Tyrone Rugen.
André the Giant as Fezzik. "Am I going mad or did the word 'think' escape your lips?"
Wallace Shawn as Vizzini. "Did I make it clear that your job is at stake?"
"I'm waiting!"
Billy Crystal as Miracle Max.
Carol Kane as Valerie, Max's wife.
Peter Cook as The Impressive Clergyman.
Mel Smith as The Albino.
Malcolm Storry as Yellin.
Willoughby Gray as The King.
All these actors and actresses are so perfect for their parts!!!
"You seem a decent fellow, I hate to kill you."
"You seem a decent fellow, I hate to die."
Music: 10!! My favorite is "Storybook Love", here it is:
Music by: Mark Knopfler.
Quotes: 10! My favorite ever is super long, so I'll just put part of it:
"No more rhyming now, I mean it!"
"Anybody want a peanut?"
Notes: Eels instead of sharks.
Storyline: 7, there is death, kissing, fighting, talk of killing, revenge, creepy R.O.U.S's and torture. I can't be picky about how it relates to the book because William Goldman wrote the screenplay! It is a great movie!
"Is this a kissing book?"
(Look at this sword!)
Good For: Everyone, People who love swashbucklers!
"The cliffs of insanity!"
Overall Score: 9!!!
"Have fun storming the castle!"
"Do think it will work?"
"It'll take a miracle."


The movie wins!!! (Wow, that's a first!)


"Who are you?"
"No one of consequence." ~Thoughts on the Dread Pirate Roberts.
'But--
--in the farthest corner of the Great Square--
--in the highest building in the land--
--deep in the deepest shadow--
--the man in black stood waiting.
His boots were black and leather. His pants were black and his shirt. His mask was black, blacker than raven. But blackest of all were his flashing eyes.
Flashing and cruel and deadly...' ~The Princess Bride - by William Goldman.

"Once word leaks out that a pirate has gone soft, people begin to disobey you, and it's nothing but work, work, work all the time."

"Good work, sleep well, I'll most likely kill you in the morning."

(Because of spoilers I can't say much but he really is a great character!)

About my older sister's costume:

"I am not left-handed."
My sister is actually left handed.

Anyway, the costume was really simple, the mask was a little bit harder.

"Why are you wearing a mask?"
"They are rather comfortable, I think everyone will be wearing them in the future."

How does she compare to the movie?
What do you think?

Also, since Daylight Savings time is coming up...
Thank you for reading!

MovieCritic

16 comments:

  1. I figured out two of you, but I had no idea what the sword would be...You and your sisters are so creative!

    I love this movie! But I haven't read the book yet. It's on my to-read list, but you know..."So many books, so little time." Lol anyway, I loved this review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Good job! :) I would have done a better button, but I was really tired when I made it so it isn't the best. :) Thanks!

      Yay! You've seen it! I wasn't sure if you had or not. It really is a good movie! The book is really good too. I know what you mean, how can there be so many books!? Thank you! :D

      Delete
    2. Oh, I think it's good! Just rather ambiguous.

      I think it's more surprising when people haven't seen The Princess Bride. It's a modern classic.

      Delete
    3. Thank you! :)

      Oh yes, it actually is more surprising when someone has read the book. :) And after 30 years it is a classic! :D

      Delete
  2. Agreed- the movie is better. Glad you think so too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little bit. :) I am glad that we agree! :D It is one of my favorite movies.

      Delete
  3. OH MY GOSH

    Excuse me while I go fangirl. AskslfjJCKAM

    Is it really 30 years since that movie came out????
    The movie is always ten times better when the original author is also the screenwriter :)
    Yessss...I have a lonnng favorite quote list too. And this movie is still the only chick like film that my brothers threaten to steal every time I'm home...

    Your sisters costume is awesome!!!

    Aggggghhhh THAT MEME. SO ACCURATE.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Fangirl all you like! I love the movie too!!!! :D <3

      Crazy, right? How can that be!?
      Oh yeah! Personally, I think he did better on the movie, the quotes are so excellent! I cannot pick a favorite. :) Haha! They have found your weakness! ;) The movie is an excellent, this last time my younger sister did not want to watch. :O

      She says, "Thanks!" She did do pretty well. :)

      Isn't it though!? It is for Spring Daylight Savings time, but I thought I would put it. :)

      Thank you so much for the comment, Catherine!!!! :D

      Delete
  4. I agree! The movie is just better. But the book is such fun too :-)

    That meme always makes me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just one of those things where the movie is so excellent!! (I think Cary Elwes makes all the difference. ;-) )

      I hadn't seen it before, but I saw it when looking for pictures, and I thought it would be perfect!

      Delete
  5. Aggghhhhh again!! As you probably know by now, I'm partial to the book, personally, but I love the movie too!! And that blue dress of Buttercup's is my favorite, too!! I wish they'd shown her in it for longer. :-/ It's so pretty!

    Aaaahhh, your sister's costume is so cool! And, haha, "she's actually left-handed." ;D

    Love all the quotes you included!! "That is perhaps the most childishly obvious remark I have ever heard..." XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would probably like the book better if I had read it before I watched the movie, but the movie has so much nostalgia. Totally! It is a really good color on her!!

      Thank you! She had a fun time putting it together. It is the one part of the movie she cannot quote and mean it! :)

      Thank you! We can pretty much quote the entire movie, and I loved getting new ones from the book!

      Thanks for commenting, Olivia!

      Delete
  6. The Princess Bride is such a fun movie. :) I've always enjoyed watching it, and the "he's mostly dead" scene was so fun I have to say. And there are so so many good quotes from the movie.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! I love that in the "he's mostly dead" scene Billy Crystal was just improvising, and it was so funny that the director couldn't be in the same room because he kept laughing! XD The quotes are brilliant. :)

      Delete
  7. The Princess Bride is such a good movie. The script is probably my favorite part. I almost always think it's more fun when there are scenes with fencing in movies rather than in books since you can see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so awesome! The script is so perfect! Oh, I definitely agree with you there. I love "swashbucklers" and while I can picture the duels when I'm reading, it's more fun to see how they choreograph it in movies.

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles