"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Friday, October 11, 2019

Movie Review: The Philadelphia Story (1940)

Hello, once again, readers!

I know that my posts have been a little sparse lately, but I am going to make up for it this week, because I will be having a post every other day! Why? Because I am participating in a lot of blog parties, it's going to be a lot of fun!

For today I will be reviewing a movie with my favorite actor, Jimmy Stewart. It was actually the movie that earned him an Academy Award! At the beginning of this movie I was a little concerned with what was going to happen, but I was loving it by the end! I feel like this is a movie that the more you watch, the more you like!

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.


The Philadelphia Story (1940):
Based on: The Philadelphia Story, a play by Philip Barry.
"Oh, I wish something would happen."
High society girl Tracy Lord is getting remarried. When her ex-husband, Dexter, shows up a few days early with reporters, she has no choice to let them stay because Dexter warns he that if they don't get coverage of this they will print a scandalous article about her father. Much to Tracy's annoyance, her sister and mother are very excited to see Dexter. As she gets to know Mike, one of the reporters, better, she begins to have confusing feelings about the three men in her life. She's always thought of herself as perfect, but she begins to doubt that, too. Who does she want to spend her life with?
"This is the voice of doom calling."
Genre: when I looked it up, it says that this is classified as Comedy, but I would also call it a Drama.
Length: approx. 112 minutes.
Costumes: 8, there were some nice ones.
Script: 10, I don't recall any bad words.
"I don't want to be worshiped, I want to be loved."
Crew:
Directed by: George Cukor.
Written by: Donald Ogden Stewart, Waldo Salt, & Philip Barry.
Starring:
Katharine Hepburn as Tracy Lord.
Cary Grant as C.K. Dexter Haven. "What kind of a name is C. K. Dexter Haven, anyway?"
James Stewart as Macaulay "Mike" Connor.
Ruth Hussey as Elizabeth Imbrie.
'"You're the darndest girl, Liz."
"I think I'm sweet."'
John Howard as George Kittredge.
Roland Young as William Q. Tracy.
Virginia Weidler as Dinah Lord. (She was a hoot!)
John Halliday as Seth Lord.
Mary Nash as Margaret Lord.
Henry Daniell as Sidney Kidd.
Lionel Pape as Edward.
Rex Evans as Thomas.
Cinematography: 9, besides the fact that I love black and white movies, there were a few cool things.
Cinematography by: Joseph Ruttenberg.
Music: 7, nothing special caught my attention.
Music by: Franz Waxman.
Quotes: 9, there were so many great lines! (Especially from Jimmy Stewart, but I might be biased.)
"What is thee wish?"
Oscars won: 2: Best Actor (Jimmy Stewart), Best Adapted Screenplay.
Storyline: 8, there is smoking, drinking (we see several people intoxicated), there are some suggestive things (but they turn out fine), and we deal with the subject of divorce.
Good For: Anyone who likes James Stewart, anyone who has a complicated family life, anyone who likes comedy or drama.
Age Range: It's comedy, so there are a plenty of funny bits for any age, but I have a feeling that younger viewers might get bored.
Overall Score: 8.5!
Bonus thoughts:
"You talk so big and tough, then you write like this."
I had heard so much about this movie that I couldn't wait to watch it! I even told a fellow blogger once there wasn't a movie that I wanted to watch more than this. I have this notebook that I write down any quotes that I like or take notes while I'm watching a movie, and I wrote this:
"Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn: YES!"
As I said in the beginning of this post, it started and I was really enjoying it, but I started to get nervous because I didn't know what was going to happen. I mean, obviously I didn't, I hadn't watched it before! And I usually don't feel this way, but I was so into the movie that I was kind of "stressed out" because I didn't know how it would end! I enjoyed it a lot. That is why I feel like this is one of those movies that you like the more you watch. I look forward to watching this for years to come!


Remember that blogathon I mentioned earlier? Well, what I was talking about is the Second Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn Blogathon, hosted by In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood and Love Letters to Old Hollywood! I had planned to participate the first time in 2017, but I had to pull out, so I was super excited to be able to join this year!
"Oh, we're going to talk about me, are we? Oh goody."
Katharine Hepburn was so great in this! I know a few people who are not a fan of hers (shocking, I know!), but I don't think that they've seen enough of her! She played Tracy perfectly (fun fact: the role was actually written for her), and I love how funny she is, and the way she played the character arc! I've only seen a few movies with her, which are: Bringing Up Baby (1938) [My favorite!], The Philadelphia Story (1940), part of The Lion in Winter (1968) [I do not recommend], Rooster Cogburn (1975), & one movie with her and Spencer Tracy that I saw a long time ago and I don't know what it was. She is so much fun to watch, I can't wait to see more films with her!
A big thank you to Crystal and Michaela for hosting this blogathon! Make sure to check out all of the other posts HERE and HERE.

Are you a fan of Katharine Hepburn? Why or why not? Thanks for reading!

MovieCritic

8 comments:

  1. I wasn't thrilled by this, it was so hyped up, and then I was confused about where it was going, and the fact that Tracy Lord's horrific father blamed HER for his infidelities (I mean WHAT!!!!!) and then I didn't care for Stewart's character's girl. I love Hepburn and Grant together (Bringing Up Baby is just awesome), so I'll have to try this again, skipping the parts with the father who should've been left in ignominy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was very worried about where it was going, too. Oh, I forgot about her father! His part of the story was very confusing, and I didn't like him, either. Liz wasn't my favorite at first, but I liked her by the end. I feel like rewatching it would be good for me, too, and more enjoyable! (Yes! Bringing Up Baby is THE BEST!!!)

      Delete
  2. I love this movie so much!! :D (As you know ;)) So I was happy to see it pop up on your blog. :D

    I think so much about this movie is brilliant, but the script is what's really outstanding. So, SO funny, and so intelligent.

    I'm thrilled you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the reasons I wanted to watch it so badly was because of how much you loved it! :D I'm glad that I finally got to review it!

      The script is fantastic! I was dying when Jimmy Stewart said "This is the voice of doom calling." All the quips and banter were perfect!

      Me, too! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh how I envy you getting to watch this movie for the first time! It's one of my favorites and I've seen it so often I've forgotten my first experience with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that way about a lot of movies that I've been watching for so long that I can't remember not watching them!

      Delete
  4. I adore this movie, so it's great to hear that you enjoyed it! I've learned that it's the kind of film that people will either love or hate. My sister, for example, dislikes it but she really enjoys its remake High Society. (Personally, I love 'em both, although I do give the edge to the original.)

    Thanks for contributing to our blogathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great to find other fans of classic movies! Yeah, I've found that, too! My mom loves it, but my dad hates it, though from what I've heard about High Society I think he'd like it. I am looking forward to seeing it some time to compare the two.

      Sure thing! Thanks for hosting!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles