"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Monday, September 19, 2016

Tolkien Blog Party Week - My Thoughts on Bilbo Baggins + a tag!!

Hello!
Guess what?
For one thing, it is the 19th of the month so I have to post, also...


Hamlette at The Edge of the Precipice has started her annual Tolkein blog party!
This is my first year so I'm going to take it easy, but I will be answering her tag and telling my thoughts on Mr. Bilbo Baggins. I will be telling ALL my thoughts so, in advance, SPOILER ALERT! If you have not read The Hobbit.

My Thoughts on Mr. Bilbo Baggins:



"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure." - Thorin.

Baggins and Took "blended in measure" is what creates this character we all love.
Imagine, as you probably have, being asked to go on a quest which you will probably die in, with people who don't really agree with your Baggins side. At first.

"Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To find our long forgotten gold..."

Is there some kind of magic there, in that song, that makes him want to go? I was in awe when I read this. It certainly was magic that brought me in to read the rest of it. But when I think back to if I were there, to hear their deep, booming voices, not knowing what I would run into, it is scary. Then, in the morning, you are pushed out the door by a wizard.
Let us go further into the story.

They almost get eaten by trolls. And that is one of the least dangerous things that will happen! Right then, I would have lost it. I would have turned around.

Through-out the story we hear of his longing for his teapot. What if he had gone back to it then? They wouldn't have gotten the treasure. He wouldn't be able to boast of talking to a dragon. Or trick Gollum. This story tells of how he would always be both Baggins and Took. He couldn't just be one or the other. We are all special, but he found out how.

Thank you for reading!! Please tell me your opinion of him!! It will be Mr. Bilbo Baggins birthday on Thursday. Hamlette will have a party, but I might not be able to post then. So, Happy Birthday in advance Mr. Bilbo!!!!

And...Here is Hamlette's tag!

The Tolkien Tag 2016

1.  How many books by J.R.R. Tolkien have you read?


I read my first Tolkien book, The Hobbit
, Just in July!!

2.  Have you seen any movies based on them?

Well, Now that I really sit down and think, I have seen, (The whole thing) of: The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Return of the King. (I know, I'm all messed up.)

3.  Are there any scenes/moments that make you cry?

Are there!? The near-ending of The Hobbit, after the battle, I actually cried.

4.  Are there any scenes/moments that make you laugh?

Does smiling a SUPER big smile count? If so, I did when the dwarves first arrived, and the chapter, Riddles in the Dark. I know, He was in danger, but I loves riddles, my precious.

5.  Have you ever chosen a Middle Earth name for yourself?  If so, what is it?

I have seen other people do that, but I really haven't thought of it. I guess I would just be a hobbit. (I have really big feet :D) I looked my name up in Elvish, and it this: Limwen (Leem-when)

6.  Who would you want to party with/marry/fight to the death? (pick three characters)

Whoa! I have to answer this question? Okay, once again, I haven't thought about this so I'll make it up. 

Party with Elves. 
Marry, Uh, no idea. 
I am not really sure about the meaning of this question, so I'll answer both. If it is I'll never leave your side! I'll fight with you to the death! Then I would pick Fili and Kili. If it is, I will fight against you!  I would fight the Bilbo way! Which for me is be invisible and try to help my friends that way. There, I picked three.

7.  When was the last time you visited Middle Earth, via books or movies?

Well, I already said I read The Hobbit in July, and I saw The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, in January 2015.

8.  Do you consider Gollum to be a villain?  Why or why not?

Well, with all I've seen and read, I say he is just Hungary and Greedy, which in a way is a villain. 

9.  How would you sum up what Tolkien's stories mean to you in one word?

Bravery. Okay, that's summing up the characters. Adventure, then.

10. List up to ten of your favorite lines/quotes from the books or movies.

"You've left the burglar behind again!"

"Why on Earth didn't you metion it before?"

"Mutton yesterday, mutton today, and blimey, if it don't look like mutton again tomorrer."

"What's a burrahobbit got to do in my pocket anyway?"

"Don't be precise."

Thank you Hamlette for this tag and the great party!!! Go check it out HERE!!
And I'm so sorry about uneven sizes of text! My computer hates me.

MovieCritic

15 comments:

  1. Mutton yesterday, mutton today....love that!
    I think that, no matter how settled we are, we each have a hidden source of strength that we can tap when forced to do so. Bilbo's secret urge to travel allows him to access that strength; his love of comforts is what helps him close the door on greed in the end. He has a heart good as gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what it's like to have your computer hating you!

    And great answers! You need to watch the rest of the movies and read the rest of the books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Yeah, I'll get to them one of these days. Right now, I'm kind of stuck, because I have been doing this challenge thing, and I haven't been able to qualify it. But I'll get around to it!

      Delete
  3. Well, for what it's worth, I thought you changed text sizes to make me pay attention more and make your post more visually interesting!

    It's cool to meet up with someone who's only just discovering these stories :-) I hope you enjoy the rest as you get to them!

    Thanks for joining the party :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really looking forward to them! But, I'm a little worried too, my sister didn't get through The Two Towers.
      Thank you for hosting it!!

      Delete
    2. I have a terrible time getting through The Two Towers sometimes, myself. There's this very desolate section with Frodo and Sam and Gollum all wandering around in Mordor, and it very much captures their bleak desperation. But I've made it through six times, so you can too. The trick for me is to focus on Sam and his character arc -- that keeps me from getting lulled to sleep. But I tend to also want to read TTT in February when the grey, hopeless world outside reflects what's going on in a lot of the book.

      Delete
    3. Okay, thanks for the tip!! I will most likely read it in February then!

      Delete
  4. I only read The Hobbit back in 2014, so I'm still rather new to the fandom myself. Although I've loved the LOTR movies since they came out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a while since I have seen them, but I did like them!! Thank you so much for checking out my blog!!

      Delete
  5. Fun answers! The mutton quote always makes me laugh. And I love Bilbo, though I admit it was Martin Freeman's portrayal that made me love the character so much. He hits all the right notes for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do like how he did Bilbo, it was one of the reasons I started looking forward to the book!!

      Delete
  6. Ohh interesting take on the fight to death question! I thought it meant who did I want to fight to death but I like your spin on it - by whose side would I want to fight, even until death. Nice! :)

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles