"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Thursday, September 29, 2016

First Sentence Game!

Hello Everybody!
I haven't posted anything in a while so I am going to do another game!
How to play:
I will say ten sentences that are the start of a book and you will guess in the comments, or emailing me at queen13movies@gmail.com.
Five points per correct guess.

I think the first sentence of every book is very important. It is what draws you in to read the book, the sentence that will be the deciding factor if you will continue to read it. So I will be doing some of my favorite first sentences.

So, without further delay, we begin!!

1. Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show.

2. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil in the superlative degree of comparison only.

3. Not long ago in a large university town in California, on a street called Orchard Avenue, a strange old man ran a dusty shabby store.

4. There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.

5. The wind, the rain, my soaked Converse sneakers: I blame it all on my dad.

6. Someone was calling.

7. This story is mainly about me.

8. In a hole in the ground lived a hobbit.

9. Dallas leaned far out the window,  his eyes fixed on a bird flying lazily in the distance.

10. It was nearing midnight and the Prime Minister was sitting alone in his office, reading a long memo that was slipping through his brain without leaving the slightest trace of meaning behind.

Thank you for reading! I am afraid I lied. I did the sentences I could find that didn't give away to much. I admit that there are two of three that are obvious, but it is my first game of this kind so oh well. Thanks again!!

MovieCritic

8 comments:

  1. Well, I'll give it a go. But I'm not sure on a few of these.

    1. David Copperfield?
    2. A Tale of Two Cities?
    4. Holes, I think.
    8. The Hobbit

    That's all I can think of. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, what a fun idea for a game!! :D

    Let's see...

    1. DAVID COPPERFIELD! (That is one of my VERY favorite books. And I noticed on your side bar that you're currently reading it. Just out of curiosity, what do you think of it? Also, is this the first time you've read it or have you read it before?)

    2. A Tale of Two Cities

    3,4,5,6,7: No idea, actually. :(

    8. The Hobbit

    9. ??

    10. Is this perchance one of the Harry Potter books? No. 7, maybe? I'm really not sure. :P

    Anyway, this was such a fun game!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      This is my first time reading it! I have loved it all the way through, I have five chapers left and I don't really like where it is going, though...

      Thank you so much for guessing! The answers will be out in a few weeks!

      Delete
    2. Oh? What is at the end that you don't like?

      You're welcome! It was fun. I'll be looking forward to the answers! :)

      Delete
    3. I finished it! I just love Dora!! And I didn't like how it was going with David and Agnes, but when I learned what Dora told Agnes, it got better.

      Delete
    4. Oh, I see. That makes sense. I'm glad it got better for you, though, and didn't turn out to be totally disappointing. :) YEEEES! DOOOORA! I love her, too! She's such a sweetheart. :D

      Delete
    5. It does end-up on my favorite list, so you could say I loved it! Even in the chapter of disappointment. :) ...And Jip. I'm not going to forget him. :)

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles