"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Saturday, January 16, 2021

Inklings // January 2021

Greetings to my readers on this cold January day!

Being halfway through the first month in the new year, it's time for me join up with Inklings, again! First time for 2021!
This is Heidi of Along the Brandywineʼs monthly link up to talk about favorite scenes from books and movies.
How it works:
1. At any time during the month, on your own blog post a scene from a book or film that matches the prompt, including a link back to the original post in your post.
2. Leave a link to your post in the comments section of the monthly post and she'll post all your links with the next prompt.

I have participated in: July 2016, August 2016September 2016July 2020August 2020September 2020October 2020November 2020, & December 2020. Check out what Heidi used for this month HERE.


January 2021's prompt: A new beginning in book or film


This is such a good topic, is it not?

As anyone who knows me will tell you, Iʼm a bit of a literalist. Thatʼs why I have so much trouble analyzing things (books, movies, songs, etc.) because I only see what is literally there. If someone tells me about theories and analysis's then I can see it but I canʼt usually come up with it myself.

Because of this strange condition I have, my mind was stuck on something literally saying “A new beginning”. If it didnʼt say that, then it didnʼt occur to me to use it. Luckily, I thought of something right away.

My pick for this month is from Anastasia (1997). I had just rewatched this with my sisters on December 31st, 2020. It is really a perfect movie for the last day of the year for so many reasons: 1. It has the song “Once Upon a December” so that is the perfect month. 2. “Journey to the Past” is similar to the reflection on what has happened in the year that we all do at that time. 3. It also looks towards the future, which is what we are talking about today!


Before I go any further: SPOILER ALERT! I WILL BE TALKING ABOUT THE END OF THE MOVIE ANASTASIA (1997) SO IF YOU HAVENʼT SEEN IT THEN READ NO FURTHER. DONʼT EVEN SCROLL BECAUSE THE PICTURES WILL BE SPOILERS, TOO. DONʼT COME BACK UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE!


The scene begins with the Grand Duchess holding the tiara that she gave Anya and reading a note. Sophie reads it, too, and exclaims, “Theyʼve eloped! Isnʼt it romantic? Itʼs a perfect ending!”

To which the Grand Duchess replies, “No, itʼs a perfect beginning.”







And we can't forget Bartok. He's living his own changed life.

I'd forgotten how much I love this movie! The song "At the Beginning" which plays during the credits fits this prompt as well! It has such a '90s vibe and I love it.



Thanks for reading! Tell me all of your thoughts concerning this movie! Have a good night!

MovieCritic

12 comments:

  1. OH!! I love your choice!! It fits perfectly!!
    Fantastic pick, MovieCritic! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you, Cordy! I'm glad that I was able to think of something so easily. :D

      Delete
  2. It's been FOREVER since I've seen this movie. I should really watch it again.
    Oh, and this fits the prompt so perfectly. Great job.
    Okay, so I have the opposite problem. I'm always analyzing things that probably weren't meant to be analyzed quite so much or so deeply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been ages since I'd seen it last, so it was great that I had the time to enjoy it again.
      Dude, we should work together sometime! I can be really straightforward and you can analyze to infinity and we'll balance each other out.

      Delete
    2. We should! That'd be fun. Maybe we could do a collab sometime. Would you be interested in that?

      Delete
    3. Wouldn't I! Absolutely! That would be epic. What kind of a thing would you want to do a collab on? Feel free to email me (you can do that by going to my profile and clicking "email" underneath "Contact me").

      Delete
  3. I loooooove this movie and have the soundtrack memorized. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes my heart so happy! I thought I remembered reading that you liked it, too, so I was right. The songs are FANTASTIC. Thanks, Hamlette!

      Delete
  4. Anastasia is a fantastic movie. You've got to love the super 90s credit song too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! When I was younger watching the credits and listening to that song was my absolute favorite part!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles