"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Friday, August 21, 2020

Inklings // August 2020: Back to the Future Part III

Greetings, friends!

Great Scott! It's time for another Inklings! Inklings is a monthly linkup hosted by Heidi of Along the Brandywine. How it works: Heidi writes a prompt and you write a post talking about a scene in a book or movie including that scenario. It's really fun and Heidi would love it if you joined! You don't have to do it every month, just whichever ones that you want to.
I have participated in July 2016, August 2016September 2016, & July 2020.
Today was the final day in Heidi's Legends of Western Cinema Week which she is co-hosting with Hamlette at Hamlette's Soliloquy. Because she was planning this, August's prompt involves westerns!

August 2020's prompt: A pivotal film scene at an old time western bar

(Note: This isn't a 'saloon scene' as such, but men talking and digging their elbows in at the bar. Make sense?)

I'll try!

Read Heidi's answer HERE.

Now, I had a few ideas with this one. I rewatched a few clips of movies, but either they didn't really count or weren't that pivotal! Finally I asked my sisters if they had any ideas. My younger sister suggested this one because we watched it for the first time this year and we really enjoyed it. "Perfect!" I told her, so here we are.

My pick is from Back to the Future Part III (1990)! This trilogy is mostly famous for the first film, but in my sister's and my opinion this one might be the best! It's just so good and if you haven't seen it I recommend it (I am planning on reviewing it sometime in the future, so you can wait until then for any content concerns you have).

Spoiler alert! This scene that I'm talking about is a very important scene from the movie, and series, and is full of spoilers, so if you haven't seen it then don't read this post!

I was going to write out the whole dialogue of the scene ('cause it's more fun that way), but there is a bad word and some name calling which I'd prefer to not type out, so just watch it here to refresh your memory (but don't watch it if you haven't seen this movie!):
Why is this so important? Well, this is the moment that the whole Back to the Future trilogy has been leading up to! In the series we've seen Marty being called "chicken" and getting into fights over it which only leads him to more trouble. He got into this duel with 'Mad Dog' over such a thing. Throughout this movie his ancestor Seamus has been telling him that he doesn't always need to defend himself against that. Being called a coward is not the worst thing that can happen to you. This scene is Marty's "aha moment" as he sees his "name" appear on the headstone in the photograph. He realizes that with so much at stake, this is one fight that he needs to step away from. Because he has this moment now, at one of the final scenes he makes the same choice. You can really see his indecision in his facial expressions while he struggles with this misbelief. Ah, such a great scene, and after all he's been through we're so proud of Marty!


Well, that was fun to talk about! Thanks to Heidi for giving me the opportunity!

Thanks to all of you for reading this! If you've gotten this far I'm guessing you've seen the Back to the Future trilogy, so I would love to hear your thoughts? What do you think of this pivotal moment?

MovieCritic

5 comments:

  1. I love the Back to the Future films, and I totally agree with you on this! I actually live near the place where some the Western scenes were filmed, and got to see the DeLorean that was used in the films!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good! Whoa, you've seen the DeLorean?? That is absolutely awesome! How neat! I love visiting places where they filmed movies and it's so cool that you live near there.

      Delete
  2. Such a great scene -- I'm so glad you thought of it! I HAVE seen all three films and (y'know, except for a few things) much enjoyed them. Truth be told, they're one of the films my husband grabs when he wants something really cozy and familiar, so I've seen them a number of times -- still not as many as he has so I'm prone to get confused. XD This one definitely always pops to mind when I think of doing an Inklings centered around train scenes so we'll have do that one of these days! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it took a little digging but I had a blast! The first time I watched the original I wasn't a huge fan, but when my younger sister and I saw it again and finished the trilogy I had so much fun! They are pretty comforting. :) So much happens, in the second one especially, I can see myself getting confused, too! XD Oh, yes, this would fit perfectly! And, that would be such a fun prompt. I'm working on getting my September pond up today!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles