"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

The Legends of Western Cinema Week 2020 Tag!

Howdy, y'all!

Hamlette at Hamlette's Soliloquy and Heidi of Along the Brandywine are again hosting The Legends of Western Cinema Week! I wasn't able to join last year, so you can bet that I'm going full out now!
They have created a fun tag which I am filling out today! Now, I haven't seen a ton of westerns so I have decided to try to use no movie in more than one answer and therefore make it look like I've seen a lot. We'll see how this works out...

The Questions and Answers:

1. What's the last western you watched?

Big Jake (1971) which I reviewed for this week. I actually really liked it, which I wasn't expecting.

2. A western of any stripe (happy or tragic) where you were highly satisfied by the ending?

It's kind of funny, all the westerns I'm thinking of being really satisfied with the ending I don't clearly remember. I don't even remember the exact ending, I just have a feeling of being satisfied with it. Like Destry Rides Again (1938).
Also, a movie that I saw ages ago and don't even know what it was (I'm 80% sure that it's Night Passage (1957)) had an ending that absolutely destroyed me, but in a good way. And if it's in my favorites then I'm probably pretty content with that end of the story.

3. The funniest western you've seen?

Support Your Local Sheriff (1969)! In fact, this movie is in my top ten all time favorites because it is just so hilarious! If you haven't seen it, you totally should. Any time I watch it it just makes my day!
"Now that's funny, that's real funny."


4. What similar elements/themes show up in your favorite westerns?

Jimmy Stewart. I know that he isn't an element or theme, but he is my favorite part of most westerns that I've seen.
To be serious though, I think sacrifice. People putting others before themselves and making sacrifices, even of their life, to help the cause! This happens in all genres of movies, but it is something that connects quite a few of my favorite westerns.

5. Favorite actress who made 1 or more westerns?

I'm looking at my list here of all the westerns I think I've seen, and there are only a few repeating actresses, but none of them are in more than two (so far as what I've seen). I'm going with the incredible Olivia de Havilland because I've seen her in Dodge City (1939) and The Proud Rebel (1958). She just passed away last month and we will miss her terribly!

6. Favorite western hero/sidekick pairing?

Now I would list different people, but I already used that movie in the funniest question. Shucks, this is hard. But, never fear, I still have another pairing. I saw The Lone Ranger (2013) for the first time this year, and while there were parts I didn't like, the dynamic duo of John Reid and Tonto made the whole movie worth it.

7. Scariest villain/antagonist in a Western?

Liberty Valance from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962). He's your standard "baddie" but extra mean. That isn't what is scary about him. What's scary is how he affects Ransom Stoddard, a lawyer just trying to do justice. Ransom stays strong for so long, but Liberty's constant cruelness starts to get to him, and that's scary to me. This movie is incredible and one of my favorites!

8. Favorite romance in a western?

This isn't even a question, it's so easy! Jim Craig and Jessica Harrison from The Man From Snowy River (1982). Ack, I love this movie (getting about time for a rewatch...) and these two are the reason!

9. Three of your favorite westerns?

(Note to self: Read through questions before deciding to not use any movies twice.)

If I have said in another question that it is one of my favorites, then it is and you should go watch it. Here are just some more:
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
True Grit (1969)
Home on the Range (2004) (Look, this one is full of nostalgia for me and I'm running out of options...)

10. Share one (or several!) of your favorite quotes from a western.

Well, these are going be from Support Your Local Sheriff (1969) and because we're talking about quotes instead of movies I can do that. I made the rules, I can break them. These are going to be out of context, but I hope that I can get you curious enough to watch this movie!

"I've made it no secret that I'm on my way to Australia."


"60 for who and 40 for who!?"


'"It doesn't sound a little childish to you?"
"No, I told you, I think it sounds mature."' 
(You need to hear that in Prudy's voice!)


"How dare you walk into my office and pull a gun on me."


'"Pa, you been touching up your hair again?"
"What do ya mean again!?"
"Nothing. It looks better in spots, that's all."
"What do ya mean spots!?"
"Nothin'!"'


A huge thank you to Hamlette and Heidi for hosting! Check out HERE or HERE for all things western! You're also free to do this tag, then link up with them so everyone can read it.

Thanks for reading! Anybody else seen Support Your Local Sheriff (1969)? What do you think of my answers?

MovieCritic

12 comments:

  1. I've seen Support Your Local Sheriff! It's a funny one, all right! I haven't seen it in awhile, but I remember it fondly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a barrel of fun! I've seen parts of Support Your Local Gunfighter, and I didn't like it as much, but I still want to see the whole thing. Have you seen that one?

      Delete
  2. I'm crazy about those quotes from Support Your Local Sheriff! For me, it is the number one western spoof of all-time.

    Home on the Range? Did I read that correctly? We love, love, love that movie around here. The songs, in particular are favourites and the humour, and the 2D animation. It all works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't agree with you more! Whenever I watch it I say the while dialogue with it because every single part is so good.

      Yes, you did! I'm so glad to find someone else who knows what it is! Home on the Range was my absolute favorite movie when I was littler. I watched it so much my sisters got tired of it! 2D animation always wins me over. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I've never seen Support Your Local Sheriff, but oh my goodness I NEED IT IN MY LIFE. For those out-of-context quotes alone, but also I'm fond of James Garner and it just sounds hilarious overall.

    Sacrifice is a good theme to pick. (But then, so is Jimmy Stewart. :P) I think that shows up in most of my favorite stories too, Westerns or not! It's a theme that works really well with the trappings of Westerns, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I have this gut feeling that you would really enjoy SYLS! James Garner is excellent here, and I want to see more things with him. It is brilliant!!

      (No doubt about Jimmy Stewart! ;)). Right! First thing that comes to mind is superhero movies, but I love that you can have it in any genre, any setting, anything! "No greater love than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends."

      Delete
  4. So glad you could fill out the tag and really enjoyed your answers! Sacrifice is an excellent theme -- and I need to see more Jimmy Stewart westerns (I think I've seen... two?).

    I have similar feelings on the new Lone Ranger (like if recommending it I have a whole bunch of provisos, but the sidekick thing and one liners are SO great! ;D)

    When I first saw the Magnificent Seven for some reason I was slightly underwhelmed, but then it just kinda started growing and growing and the epic-ness started grabbing hold, so I'm happy to say it's a favorite now.

    (And I have seen Support Your Local Sheriff -- it's funny!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that I was able to join this year! Thanks a million for hosting! I believe I've seen 4: Destry Rides Again (1939), The Bend in the River (1952), The Man From Laramie (1955), & The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962). I recommend them all!

      So many good quotes! The writers did an excellent job! ;)

      Oh, I love movies that grow on me until they become my favorite and I can't believe that I wasn't crazy about it from the beginning! They are so good! The Magnificent Seven is so popular for a reason.

      No other movie has made me laugh more, so far! :)

      Delete
  5. Destry Rides Again does have a good ending :-)

    As you know, I love Support Your Local Sheriff. "He lies to you about whether or not your gun is loaded." "He lies to you about WHAT?!?!?"

    Although I love The Lone Ranger dearly, there are parts I'm not crazy about too. But, like you, I enjoy it for the friendship between John and Tonto. I love them both.

    Awwwwww, Jim and Jessica are one of my favorite romances in ALL of filmdom <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good, I thought I'd made that up. ;-) I remember reading your review, but it's been a few years.

      THAT LINE! THAT'S ONE OF MY FAVORITES! Also: "That gun could've blown up in my face!" "It wouldn't have done my finger a lot of good!"

      I admit, I had my doubts about how Johnny Depp would do as Tonto, but he nailed it! And Armie Hammer was excellent as usual. :-)

      They make me so incredibly happy!! <3 The two of them together are so perfect!

      Delete
  6. Interesting answers! Since you're a fan of 'The Man from Snowy River', you should check out the video Hallmarkies Podcast made about that film! The video is titled "Hallmarkies Bonus: THE MAN FROM SNOWY RIVER Recap". I also created a tag post, so I'll include a link in this comment.

    https://18cinemalane.com/2020/08/21/the-legends-of-western-cinema-week-tag-2020/

    I noticed a banner for my blogathon, A Blogathon to be Thankful For, on your blog. Have you decided what you're going to write about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I found it on YouTube and will probably listen to it when I'm doing the dishes sometime! Oh dear! I know I read all of the tag answers posts, but I must've forgotten to comment on yours! I'm so sorry, I'll go fix that right away!

      I have the banner up because I haven't decided yet. I think I'm getting closer to figuring it out. At first I was considering taking about something that I'm thankful for, but now I'm leaning more towards a movie with a Thanksgiving scene. I'll let you know ASAP!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles