"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Monday, September 21, 2020

2020 Tolkien Blog Party Tag!

Come one, come all, Tolkien fans!

This week, from the 20th-26th Hamlette is hosting her 8th Tolkien Blog Party! I have participated at least a little in 2016, 2017, 2018, & 2019.
I am planning to have more than one post this year, but for right now it is time to fill out her tag! She comes up with so many different questions each year, it's always a good time.

Needless to say, SPOILER ALERT. I'll be talking about The Lord of the Rings trilogy, so if you haven't read those books or seen the movies, go no further!

Also, this is my first year answering questions when I have seen all of the movies! Previously I'd only seen The Fellowship of the Ring and parts of Return of the King.

Questions:
1. What Tolkien character do you think you're the most like?

Well, this is pretty funny, because I've spent years denying that I am anything like Frodo, but in point of fact, I am. We both are quiet personalities. We feel that sometimes the weight of the world is upon us, but don't want anyone else to feel it, too. We are always trusting people and looking for the best (even if the creature *coughcoughGollumcoughcough* will turn against us). As I said, I've been avoiding it for so long, I can't really say what makes us alike. Just when I watched the movies I had this feeling of, "Yep, that's me". I would say mostly with how he treats Gollum.

And when reading the books I thought I was a mix between Faramir and Eomer? Don't ask me why, I don't remember.


2. What Tolkien character do you wish you were more like?

The hero, Samwise Gamgee. I am incredibly loyal like him, but I would like to have his bravery and perseverance and good nature and also maybe some of his caution. He is the best!
Source

3. What would your dream home in Middle-earth be like?

Rocks and volcanoes.

...

Just joking! I love trees, so it would be in either the Shire or Lothlorien. Can I have Bag End? I would be like Gandalf and be a little too tall, but it would still be lovely.


4. You get to make a movie of the story of Beren and Luthien!  Who do you cast as the leads?

Awesome question, but I have no idea because I haven't read that yet! One of these days...


5. Have you ever marathoned the LOTR or Hobbit movies?

Nope, but I totally want to do it with the LotR movies! Now that I've seen them I want to watch the Extended Versions because everyone recommends them.


6. Do you have a favorite song or track from the movie soundtracks by Howard Shore?

This perfectly beautifulness:


7. Which of Tolkien's characters would you like to be best friends with? 

Obviously the two troublemakers. They would add so much excitement to my life. I feel like my little sister and I would get into boatloads of mischief with them. It would be awesome!
I'm taller than both of them and I would rub it in constantly.


8. Who of the people in your real life would you want in your company if you had to take the ring to Mordor?

Whoa, I was not expecting this question! Let's see:
My older sister (Em) would be very practical and would be a fierce fighter should anything try to attack us. (Whereas I would curl up in a corner and cry)
My dad would be our Gandalf and would deal out wise sayings. Would also probably catch food and whatnot.
Dance friend (M) is the most positive person ever and would keep us going.
Blogger friend (M) is an avid fan and would help navigate.
Friend (N) has told me about his expertise with knives, which would be handy.
Friend (C) would make us all laugh.
Friend (L) would probably get us all lost, but provide music and entertainment.

Um, I'm not sure if they would all get along, but I fell like it's a good range.


9. Have you read any of Tolkien's non-Middle-earth works?

Actually, no. There are quite a few that I want to, though! Namely Letters From Father Christmas.


10. Is there a book by Tolkien you haven't read yet, but want to?

Aside from the previously mentioned one:
Beren and Luthien
The Children of Hurin
The Silmarillion

And more!


A huge, huge, huge thank you to Hamlette for hosting this again! Make sure you check out all of the fun HERE. In addition to awesome posts there are games and a giveaway! You don't want to miss out.

Thanks for reading! What do you think of my answers? Who else is going to participate in the blog party?

MovieCritic

16 comments:

  1. Ooh, I don't think I've ever met someone who feels they're most like Frodo! That's pretty cool.

    You need to go read Beren and Luthien (in The Silmarillion), and then go read The Lay of Leithan, which is their story in poem form--fantastic! (but unfinished, which makes me v. sad).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so funny of how I tried to deny it fit so long then finally I realized that yeah, I am. XD

      Ah, Beren and Luthien are in the Silmarillion! I knew that I had heard of them but I couldn't find a book solely about them. You've solved a mystery for me, so thank you! I'll make sure to read the Lay of Leithan, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your answers! You got me with the rocks and volcano one. xD And yeah, #8 threw me too. It's funny to think of different friends being thrown together and having to get through and depend on each other to the vital extent of trusting each other with their lives, isn't it? It did freshen it up for me though cause that's pretty much just how it is in the first place though -- a bunch of disparate folk, different subsections of which knew each other beforehand -- perfectly banding together and (at least from what we see) mostly getting to know each other as they go through the perils of the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi! Lol, I was hoping that I'd trick some people with that one. XD

      Yes! It is definitely something that made me start thinking, because I consider the Fellowship to be so suited to the task, but many of them didn't know each other and didn't get along at first (Legolas and Gimli) but became friends through what they went through together. Yes, that placing of trust can be so hard, but necessary when you are on a mission that was so important. I love how you said all of that!

      Delete
  3. "Concerning Hobbits" is such a beautiful, nostalgic track. *cries a little*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *wipes tears away* When Howard Shore wrote it was he intending me to be so emotional every time that I hear it?

      Delete
  4. I think I'm most like Bilbo. I just want to stay home with my armchairs and books, but would be willing to go on an adventure with the right motivation. I love LoTR and have read a lot of Tolkien's work, both part of Middle Earth and outside of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising that even though Bilbo is my favorite I can forget him so often! He is such a relatable character. My sister complains that I would rather be inside than outside and I feel that is something that he would do. Tolkien was such a great writer!

      Delete
  5. I thought you were serious with your answer to question 3!

    I would love to be friends with Merry and Pippin too. Although I do have a friend that is a mix of both.

    Loved your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mean to do it, but at the last moment I thought that it would be hilarious!

      They have so much energy, I would be dragged into so many situations! That's fun that you have a friend who is like both of them!

      Thank you so much, Ivy. :)

      Delete
  6. Yayyyyy MC! Loved your answers! I died at #3 LOL

    I love the extended editions with all my heart. I don't even watch the "originals" anymore. It just has so much more depth and is more like the book, in my opinion! you absolutely MUST do a post comparing the movies once you've watched them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwahaha! It makes me feel so successful to hear that it worked! XD

      I'm sure that once I watch them I'll be the same way and never go back to the originals. :) Oh, yes!! I will definitely do that post someday!!! Thanks for the suggestion! :D

      Delete
  7. "Um, I'm not sure if they would all get along, but I fell like it's a good range."

    I think that was going through Elrond's mind as well. :D

    Fun answers! I agree, Merry and Pippin would be wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that being what Elrond's opinion on the Fellowship was, but you are totally right! XD

      They would get me into trouble, for sure, but they would also help me get out of it. :D

      Delete
  8. The extended editions for the LOTR films are wonderful, especially the ones for FOTR and TTT. Delicious.

    And do yourself a HUGE favor and get Letters from Father Christmas to read this December. It is simply the perfect, cozy little happy-making book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time at all where we see Faramir and Eowyn together would make me so happy, because there was nothing about them in the originals!

      Ever since I read your review of it I've wanted to get my hands on a copy! I might take you up on that suggestion. :-)

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles