"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Movie Review: Black Panther (2018)

Hello to all of you.

I was so sad to hear a month ago, on August 28th, that Chadwick Boseman had passed away from cancer. I had already been contemplating reviewing a movie with him in it several times this year with the goings on, but this helped me make up my mind.

I can't tell you how many times I've started this review. I write something, delete it. Try something new, and delete it again. It's weird to talk about a movie when the main actor isn't with us anymore. I know that I talk about old films all the time, and this isn't any different, yet it seems like it for some reason. I'll try to get one with it anyway.

The film is Black Panther (2018). I was originally going to review all of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) movies in order that they were released, but this circumstance made me change my mind, so I could write this as a sort of tribute to him. If you want to watch this, and haven't yet, there are two ways to do it. This is one of those things were you do as I say, not as I do, because I've watched all of the MCU movies in random order (and I still haven't seen a few). 

You can watch them in the order in which they were made:
Iron Man (2008)The Incredible Hulk (2008)Iron Man 2 (2010)Thor (2011)Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)The Avengers (2012)Iron Man 3 (2013)Thor: Dark World (2014)Captain America: The Winter Solider (2014)Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 (2014)Avengers: The Age of Ultron (2015)Ant-Man (2015)Captain America: Civil War (2016)Dr. Strange (2016)Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)Spider-man: Homecoming (2017)Thor: Ragnarok (2017)Black Panther (2018)Avengers: Infinity War (2018)Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)Captain Marvel (2019)Avengers: Endgame (2019), & Spider-man: Far From Home (2019).
Or chronological order:
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)Captain Marvel (2019), Iron Man (2008)Iron Man 2 (2010)Thor (2011)The Incredible Hulk (2008)The Avengers (2012)Iron Man 3 (2013)Thor: Dark World (2014)Captain America: The Winter Solider (2014)Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 (2014)Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)Avengers: The Age of Ultron (2015)Ant-Man (2015)Captain America: Civil War (2016)Black Panther (2018)Spider-man: Homecoming (2017)Dr. Strange (2016)Thor: Ragnorok (2017)Avengers: Infinity War (2018)Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)Avengers: Endgame (2019), & Spider-man: Far From Home (2019).

I've been the worst example with the MCU, watching things in a helter-skelter way which has caused a lot of confusion. If you're not that interested in the MCU, but still want to see Black Panter (2018), you can do that, but his story begins in Captain America: Civil War (2016). And another semi-important character's story begins in Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

I think I've covered all of the bases, so it's time to get started on the actual review!

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning. This is spoiler free!


Black Panther (2018):
Based on: the comic books by Stan Lee.
Long ago, five tribes came together where they found a meteorite containing the valuable metal vibranium. Since then they have created technological wonders, but have hidden from the world. T'Challa is preparing to take the throne in Wakanda. That comes with the duties of the Black Panther to protect his people. When he hears of someone dealing with and selling vibranium, he and a few others go to South Korea to track him down. That releases a series of events that reveals a past to T'Challa that he wasn't aware of, and he begins to wonder, how will this change things?
"You get to decide what kind of a king you're going to be."
Genres:
Action, Superhero, Science Fiction.
Length: approx. 134 minutes.
Costumes: 9, they are so vibrant and vivid! I love the colors and design that went into all of them. They won an Oscar. There are only a few times when some guys aren't wearing shirts, but it's when they are in a planned fight and there is war paint, and it is fine.
Costumes by: Ruth Carter.
Script: 8, a couple of bad words. But, just two or three, I believe.
"Please don't make me listen to your music." (My sisters say this to me all the time.)
Crew: Directed by: Ryan Coogler. Written by: Ryan Coogler, Joe Robert Cole, Stan Lee, & Jack Kirby.
Starring:
Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa.
Lupita Nyong'o as Nakia.
Danai Gurira as Okoye.
Letitia Wright as Shuri.
Michael B. Jordan as Erik Killmonger.
Martin Freeman as Everett Ross.
Angela Bassett as Ramonda.
Andy Serkis as Ulysses Klaue.
Daniel Kaluuya as W'Kabi.
Winston Duke as M'Baku.
Sterling K. Brown as N'Jobu.
Forest Whitaker as Zuri.
Florence Kasumba as Ayo.
John Kani as T'Chaka.
Connie Chiume, Isaach De Bankolé, Danny Sapani, Dorothy Steel as Tribe Elders.
Marija Abney, Janeshia Adams-Ginyard, Christine Hollingsworth, Maria Hippolyte, Marie Mouroum, Sydelle Noel, Jénel Stevens, Zola Williams, & Shaunette Renée Wilson as Dora Milaje.
Seth Carr as Young Killmonger.
Atandwa Kani as Young T'Chaka.
Ashton Tyler as Young T'Challa.
Denzel Whitaker as Young Zuri.
Cameos: Stan Lee, Sebastian Stan, & Trevor Noah.
Cinematography: 9, the costumes help add to this, but the cinematography is really good! The action scenes are never dull, the lighting in South Korea is so impressive, and there are a couple of scenes with a waterfall that just make you say,"Wow!" I took one little itty bitty point off for sometimes when the CGI felt too much like CGI, but other than that it was impressive.
Cinematography by: Rachel Morrison.
Music: 10, it has streaks of the MCU theme while taking on different levels of Africa instrumentals which are woven through out.
Music by: Ludwig Göransson.
Quotability: 8, "Wakanda forever!" is an endlessly quotable line. In addition to that there were a couple other good ones.
Oscars won: 3: Best Original Score, Best Costume Design, Best Production Design. It was nominated for Best Picture.
Content: 7, there is fighting, injuries, killing, and death. Maybe it was something about the CGI that didn't make it seem that gruesome, though? If that's case, then I might be fine with that. In addition to that there is a rude gesture, one character who purposely hurts himself, and one character has mechanical arms that are gross at times. I know that doesn't make sense, but my brain can't figure out another way to say it.
Originality: 7, the structure and storyline was...kind of predictable. But, the elements were very unique in their own right!
Good For: Superhero fans, everyone.
Age Range: PG-13 for the violence, and intense scenes and I'd agree with that. As I can't go without saying, it depends on the person though.
Overall Score: 8!
Worth watching?: Very much so! For the visuals alone I'm glad I watched, but I'm also glad I watched to learn about all of the awesome characters.
Will I watch again?: My older sister still hasn't seen this, so yes, I'll watch it with her sometime.
Bonus thoughts:
This. This film. This is an important movie. With everything going on this year, especially in the U. S., I keep thinking about it. This is the ONLY superhero movie to ever have been nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. It was the second highest grossing film of 2018. It is currently the twelfth highest grossing movie of ALL TIME. I feel that this will become one of those movies that everyone sees sometime in their life, not necessarily because of the story (which is still good!), but because of the statistics and all the records that it broke.
Now, Chadwick Boseman was the perfect person for T'Challa. I loved this movie for his sake. For the journey that T'Challa goes through! Chadwick was so regal in his performance. He gave the character a grace and dignity. He made him someone who is always looking for a better world. The way he and Letitia Wright played the relationships between siblings was one of the best parts of this movie. He will be missed tremendously.



My thoughts are just kind of scattered lists right now, but I'm getting emotional so I should stop. Thank you for reading! Please let me know what you think of this movie, or if you haven't seen it tell me your favorite superhero movie (you can tell me that even if you've seen it!)!

One last thing:



"Wakanda forever!"


MovieCritic

2 comments:

  1. I was so shocked and saddened by his death. He was an amazing actor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was heartbreaking. He was! Thank you so much for commenting, Skye! <3

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles