"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Saturday, October 3, 2020

Movie Review: Roman Holiday (1953)

Salutations!

I hope that all of you are doing well! Today it's time for another review (because that is my main goal around here but it doesn't always happen)! I'll be talking about the first movie I saw a famous actor in. Are you ready to go on a vacation, or holiday? Maybe watching this movie will be enough of one. Enjoy my review!

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning. This is spoiler free!


Roman Holiday (1953):
"Best thing that I know is to do exactly what you wish for a while."
After traveling to countless events in different countries without a break, Princess Ann is sick of it all. Hearing her schedule for the next day she breaks down believing that she can't handle it anymore. She decides to run away from it. A journalist, Joe Bradley, finds her and takes care of her but once he learns that she is the princess he decides to make the biggest story of his career. What will happen on this Roman holiday?
"Life isn't always what one likes, is it?"
Genres: Romance, Drama.
Length: approx. 118 minutes.
Costumes: 9, they won Best Costumes at the Oscars that year. And really, can I have all of Ann's wardrobe?
Costumes by: Edith Head.
My favorite:
Script: 10, no bad language!
Crew: Directed by: William Wyler. Written by: Ian McLellan Hunter, John Dighton, & Dalton Trumbo.
Starring:
Audrey Hepburn as Princess Ann. "Trouble? You're not what I'd call trouble."
Gregory Peck as Joe Bradley.
Eddie Albert as Irving Radovich.
Paolo Carlini as Mario Delani.
Hartley Power as Mr. Hennessy.
Margaret Rawlings as Countess Vereberg.
Tullio Carminati as General Provno.
Harcourt Williams as Ambassador.
Claudio Ermelli as Giovanni.
Paola Borboni as Charwoman.
Alfredo Rizzo as Taxicab Driver.
Laura Solari as Hennessy's Secretary.
Gorella Gori as Shoe Seller.
Cinematography: 9, it is pretty lovely. Plus, it was entirely filmed in Rome!
Cinematography by: Henri Alekan & Franz Planer.
Music: 8, now, I couldn't hum the score for you if I was asked, but watching it at certain moments I was thinking how well it went with the story.
Music by: Georges Auric.
Quotability: 7, it isn't the most quotable movie that I've ever seen, but not all films have to be, you know? I can see myself saying this line a lot (and even though it was used in annoyance in the film I'd be saying it with contentment.):
"Everything we do is so wholesome."
Oscars won: 3: Best Actress (Audrey Hepburn), Best Story, Best Costume Design (Black-and-White).
Content: 9, the only thing that stuck out to me was that there was some smoking. There could have been some suggestive moments but they kept everything perfectly decent. There was a time when one character thought that another was drunk, but the person wasn't actually.
"You know, people who can't handle liquor shouldn't drink it."
Originality: 10, since then this story idea (a princess runs away from her duties and someone finds her who thinks of a plan to make money) has been used, but this is one of the earliest that I can think of.
Good For: Fans of the actors, anyone needing a break or vacation.
Age Range: It's perfectly acceptable for any and all ages, but depending on the person if they are older they might find the story more interesting.
Overall Score: 9!
Worth watching?: Yes! I'll talk about this more in a minute, but this has such great characters and motivations and everything. Plus, it's a classic and lovely story.
Will I watch again?: I feel that it's one of those movies that grow on you every time you watch it. The first time I wasn't that invested, but this time I thoroughly enjoyed myself so I'm excited for the next time I watch.


For the blogathon:
Wait, MC, this is for a blogathon? Yes, half of the things I do around here are for blogathons. The blogathon this time is the Atticus and Boo Blogathon hosted by Taking Up Room
For those of you who don't know, Atticus and Boo are two famous characters from the book To Kill a Mockingbird - by Harper Lee. When they made a movie adaptation of the book in 1962 they cast Gregory Peck and Robert Duvall in the respective roles. This blogathon is celebrating those two actors!

Atticus Finch is my favorite role that I've seen Gregory Peck in, so I know that I wanted to participate. As I mentioned in my intro, I'm joining in with the first movie that I ever saw him in, Roman Holiday (1953)! The only other movie that I've seen him in is Moby Dick (1956) and I was really impressed with his talent, so I'm looking forward to seeing more movies with him. He may be on his way to becoming one of my favorite actors.
This time around watching Roman Holiday (1953) I was struck with how much it is his, Joe Bradley's, story. Of course all of the events happen because of Ann and she is our leading lady, but so much is determined by Joe. He is such a good character with helping people naturally before he knows their identity. In this rewatch he stole the show.


Thank you Rebecca for hosting this! Please go check out the other entries HERE.

Thanks to all of you for reading! Have any of you seen this movie? Tell me your favorite movies with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn! I wish the best for all of you!

MovieCritic

20 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, I LOVE Roman Holiday! I love the story, and the jokiness, and the actors, and the fact that it was filmed in Rome! But I think the thing I like about it most is what happens at the end (being vague so there aren't spoilers in the comments!), because SOMEONE needs to acknowledge that duty is more important than love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is marvellous! The first time that I watched it I want that invested in the story, but this time I was fully immersed! All the details are so well thought out and *happy sigh* it is great. <3 A movie that deals with similar themes that I absolutely LOVE is Casablanca (1940). You must see that if you haven't already, Sam!

      Delete
  2. I’ve wanted to see this movie for ages! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how this would totally be your thing, Ivy! I hope that you get a chance to watch it soon. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I keep meaning to watch this movie, but something else always bumps it off. But I didn't know (or didn't remember) that Edith Head did the costumes! I love her designs! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU WOULD LOVE THIS! I hadn't realized that Edith Head did the costumes either, so I looked her up and found that she designed so many outfits that I love, like the ones from Sabrina (1954)!

      Delete
  4. I've seen this one. It was quite good and honestly not what I expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I had heard a lot about it, but I was still surprised by it!

      Delete
  5. Oh I love this movie so much!! I've only seen it once, but I really want to see it again, and this made me want to revisit it even more! Gregory Peck is SO fantastic. Have you seen The Scarlet and the Black? Such a wonderful film.

    And BRADLEY. THAT was Joe's last name. I couldn't remember it try as I might. X)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you and Ferdy when I started typing this review! XD Sometimes the more I watch a movie, the more I enjoy it and that was the case for this one. Ooooh, no I haven't, but after looking it up I REALLY want to because it sounds outstanding!

      I'm terrible at characters' last names, too. XD

      Delete
  6. This is one of my favorite movies! Audrey Hepburn is so magnificent in her first American film, but, as you pointed out, this film is just as much about Joe, expertly played by Gregory Peck. He truly is wonderful in this role. I enjoyed your review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy it as much as I do.

    I'm very excited about your participation in our Great Breening Blogathon! I wanted to let you know about two other blogathons we are hosting soon, The Third Annual Claude Rains Blogathon in November (https://pureentertainmentpreservationsociety.wordpress.com/2020/10/01/an-old-friend-is-never-an-added-guest-please-join-us-for-the-third-annual-claude-rains-blogathon/) and The 2nd Happy Holidays Blogathon
    (https://pureentertainmentpreservationsociety.wordpress.com/2020/10/01/announcing-the-2nd-happy-holidays-blogathon/). If you could join one or both of these blogathons, that would be wonderful. We could really use your talent!

    Yours Hopefully,

    Tiffany Brannan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if you had seen this because I haven't seen you review it. Oh, are you ever going to do one of the costumes for your Fashion Film Fridays series? No pressure, but I'd be interested in reading that! Ah yes, they are both so spectacular and you can really see their talents in this film. Aw, thank you!

      Thanks for the invites! I signed up for the Claude Rains one, and I'm trying to figure out what I'll do for your Happy Holidays Blogathon. I'm looking forward to it because I wasn't and to participate in either last year. As soon as I decide I'll let you know! Thank you, Tiffany!

      Delete
  7. I've been meaning to watch this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of it when you get an opportunity, Skye!

      Delete
  8. Sigh. Roman Holiday is a wonderful movie and this is a wonderful review! I like that you avoided spoilers because Holiday needs to be discovered. Thanks again for joining the blogathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you so much, Rebecca! Ah yes, I am so glad that the ending wasn't spoiled for me and I wanted to give others the same experience. Thank YOU for hosting!

      Delete
  9. Very romantic movie ! Cool boss, but nice guy Gregory Peck taking care of innocent girl Aidrey in Rome... Great classic Rome style !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn were such a sweet duo to watch! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles