"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Movie Review: Young at Heart (1954)

Hello, everyone!

Can I tell you how many times I have heard Frank Sinatra sing? No, but it is a lot. How many movies of his have I seen? Well, not many, and in those few he didn't really sing! I've heard song "Young at Heart" so many times, so for a special occasion (I go into details later in this post) I decided to finally watch the film behind it.

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning. This is spoiler free!


Young at Heart (1954):
Based on: This is a remake of the movie Four Daughters (1938).
"Look, I know they write about it and sing it in songs but don't tell me you buy it!"
The Tuttle girls are three musical sisters who live with their father and aunt. When the son of one of their father's friends comes to board with them, all of the girls are quite taken with him. He is working on writing songs and after a few months gets a friend of his work in town. That man, Barney, who falls in love, too. The girls start to find each of themselves in a tangle of emotions, and realize that they might care for different people than they originally thought.
"You know, sometines when you're the outside looking in you see a lot others can't."
Genre: Drama.
Length: approx. 115 minutes.
Costumes: 8, everything is fine. It's neat to see vintage outfits that were Doris Day's signature style!
Script: 10, no bad words!
'"When are you going to stop eating?"
"I'm hungry!"' (<---My life.)
Crew:
Directed by: Gordon Douglas.
Written by: Julius J. Epstein, Lenore Coffee, Liam O'Brien, & Fannie Hurst.
Starring:
Doris Day as Laurie Tuttle.
Frank Sinatra as Barney Sloan.
Gig Young as Alex Burke.
Ethel Barrymore as Aunt Jessie Tuttle.
Elisabeth Fraser as Amy Tuttle.
Dorothy Malone as Fran Tuttle.
Robert Keith as Gregory Tuttle.
Lonny Chapman as Ernie Nichols.
Alan Hale Jr. as Bob Neary.
Cinematography: 7, nothing spectacular.
Cinematography by: Ted McCord.
Music: 8, there are lots of songs in here and they are all a lot of fun!
Music by: Ray Heindorf.
Quotes: 8, there were quite a few lines that made me laugh and I can see myself repeating.
''You know you're a parasite. Do you know what a parasite is?"
"What?"
"Somone who doesn't do their share of pushing revolving doors."
"I pushed."'
Content: 8, there are one or two suggestive comments, and then a lot of smoking. I know that doesn't bother a lot of people, but it bothers me.
Originality: 8, it was a cute story!
Good For: Doris Day fans, Frank Sinatra fans, siblings.
Age Range: This would be perfectly acceptable for all ages!
Overall Score: 8!


Now, you are probably wondering why I chose to watch this movie at this time (besides being stuck in my house for a few weeks now). Michaela at Love Letters to Old Hollywood is hosting her Fourth Doris Day Blogathon! It is bittersweet this year because it is the first time that Doris Day hasn't been with us as she passed away last May. Still, lots of bloggers are honoring her memory and you should check out their posts HERE.
I have only seen Doris Day in a few other things, and while I'm sure The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) will always be my favorite (James Stewart and her together are so wonderful!!), it is always a delight to watch her. The pairing of her and Frank Sinatra was fantastic! As soon as we met Barney I "shipped" them.
The other actors where great as well! Ethel Barrymore played her part perfectly. I liked the relationships between the sisters and Ernie. There were a few things I would have changed, but I am very glad that I saw this.


Thank you so much to Michaela for hosting this event! And, a huge thanks to all of you for reading! Stay safe in these crazy times!

MovieCritic

12 comments:

  1. Great review, it sounds like alot of fun and I do love Doris Day! By the way we nominated you for 2 tags on our blog:
    https://maidensofgreengables.blogspot.com/2020/04/catching-up-on-tags.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris Day is so great. :) Woohoo! Thanks for the tags! I'll have fun doing them.

      Delete
  2. Great review! I think I might watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok this movie looks flatout adorable and I loved Doris Day in Pillow Talk!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty cute! Oh, I want to see Pillow Talk! It looks like so much fun!

      Delete
  4. I love this movie. Doris and Frank are such an interesting pair, and the rest of the cast is terrific, too. The best part (aside from Frank's incredible intro) is the music, though. Some of Frank's solos just knock me over every time.

    Thanks for contributing to my event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not at all like I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it! I'm so used to just listening to Frank that it was a treat to actually see him singing! All of the songs were great.

      Thanks for hosting and giving me an excuse to watch this!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love this movie! Haven't seen it in ages. Might have to find a copy and rectify that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My edition that I watched had weird sound in bits, but I can see myself rewatching this a lot when I find a better copy!

      Delete
  6. This looks so fun! I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do! It was quite a good time! Very enjoyable.

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles