"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Movie Review: Shergar (1999)

Hello, all!

I hope that this finds you all safe and healthy. I am sitting down to write this as I have some extra time on my hands. I was going to review an older movie, but then I realized that the two other movies that I have reviewed this month have been Irish, so I thought, "Why break the streak?" I just watched this movie a few days ago for the first time, so it is still fresh in my mind. Also, two of the actors from one of the movies I reviewed, Waking Ned Devine (1998), are in this! Enjoy my review!

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning. This is spoiler free!


Shergar (1999):
(Loosely) Based on: The true story of the disappearance of the race horse Shergar.
A group angry at politics and wanting money, the I. R. A., decides to steal the retired racehorse named Shergar. They demand a ransom or threaten to kill Shergar. While all of Ireland searches the country, Shergar is hidden away at a farm run by a bitter farmer who agreed to help the group. The boy who works for him, Kevin, is horrified that this brilliant horse that he has heard so much about is having this done to him. Kevin promises Shergar that he won't be hurt and that he will take care of him, but with these dangerous men, what can he do?
"Well, that was a fine introduction."
Genre: Drama, Crime.
Length: approx. 95 minutes.
Costumes: 7, there is a scene where one person isn't wearing a shirt. Overall nothing incredible.
Script: 8, there are people saying the Lord's name in vain a few times, but other than that clean.
'"I can't be in two places at once!"
"Do as you're told!"'
Crew:
Directed by: Dennis C. Lewiston.
Written by: Dennis C. Lewiston.
Starring:
Tom Walsh as Kevin Doherty.
Ian Holm as Joseph Maguire.
Laura Murphy as Kate.
David Warner as Eammon Garrity.
Andrew Connolly as Dermot Concannon.
Mickey Rourke as Gavin O'Rourke.
Fintan McKeown as Det. Inspector Deely.
Jimmy Keogh as Father Doyle.
Alan Barker as Elliott Smyth.
Stephen Brennan as Mr. Faloon.
Virginia Cole as Mrs. Garritty.
Andrew Dixon as Chief Inspector Penfold.
Dave Duffy as Sergeant Mullins.
Julian Fellowes as Chambers.
Gary Lydon as Det. Sergeant Malen.
Graham Simmonds as James Simmonds.
Notes: Fintan McKeown and Jimmy Keogh are the two that are also in Waking Ned Devine (1998)!
Cinematography: 9, of course the scenery of Ireland was beautiful (even if it was a little off, my mom could tell that they filmed in a different part of Ireland than it was set.) There was one bit with the rain that I was really impressed with.
Cinematography by: David Lewis.
Music: 6, nothing memorable.
Music by: John Scott.
Quotes: 8, there was this one part that made me laugh because it made no sense. Kevin tells Shergar, "You destroyed them. You were like a pack of donkeys." (paraphrased).
Content: 7, there is smoking, some people and animals are killed by being shot, a gross thing, and a suggestive thing.
Originality: 8, there are lots of horse movies (and you have to love them, right?), but I don't remember another with this storyline. I did seen something that was going to happen, but I was so glad that it did!
Good For: horse lovers, anyone who likes movies set in Ireland.
Age Range: The things that I mentioned as content (mostly the killing) might be a little much for younger watchers just because it is pretty violent. I think it's rated PG-13, but that's the only reason.
Overall Score: 7.5
Bonus thoughts:
"Everything has a reason. We all touch each other on the way."
Those of you Lord of the Rings fans you might recognize the name Ian Holm. My family all agreed that the actor playing Joseph was really familiar and it wasn't until the end that my dad said, "It's Bilbo!"
I enjoyed this movie and will probably watch it again. Kevin was a great character and really easy to like, where you absolutely hated the villains. No one knows what really happened to Shergar, but what they came up with made sense. Also, I just really like horse movies.


Well, that's the end of the Irish movies reviewed this month! Sorry about the lack of photos, this isn't very well known. Has anyone else seen this movie? What are some of your favorite horse movies? Thanks for reading!

MovieCritic

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting movie!! I am going to have to look for this one. I have always loved a good horse movie. Some of my favorites include War Horse, Seabiscuit, and The Black Stallion. Do you have any favorite horse movies?

    http://www.pagestoremember.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when my mom found a copy of it! I have some good memories with the movie Seabiscuit! It's been awhile since I watched it, though. My favorite is National Velvet. I remember liking parts of The Horse Whisper but it's also been a few years.

      Delete
  2. I loved National Velvet as a kid. Although, I have not watched it in a long time. I have heard of The Horse Whisper, but haven't seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something so nostalgic and happy about National Velvet! I should review The Horse Whisperer one of these days. It's fun to see Scarlett Johansson at such a young age!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles