"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Movie Review: The Jane Austen Book Club (2007)

Hello to everyone!

Being inside is the time to watch movies, right? I have so many notes taken for so many movies, I can't wait to review them all for you! Actually, I have notes on over 85 different movies and books. Yep, kind of insane. My plan is to try to review the ones that I watched/read a while ago and work my way up to the newer ones. Sound like a plan?

This one is next on the list! I watched it back in August. When movies are based on books I usually like to read the book as well and be able to compare the two, and though this is based on a book, I'm not interested enough to read it. I have far too many other books that I do want to read!

Anyway enjoy my review!

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning. This is spoiler free!


The Jane Austen Book Club (2007):
Based on: The Jane Austen Book Club - by Karen Joy Fowler.
A lady comes up with the idea to start a book club to distract her friend from what she is going through. Because she loves Jane Austen she decides that they will only read her books! Six months, six people, six books. As the members read these works they find similarities to their lives and wonder, will they all get a happy ending?
"It's all Jane Austen all the time!"
Genre: Romance, Drama, Comedy.
Length: approx. 106 minutes.
Costumes: 5, standard clothing but a lot of low and short things.
Script: 7, there are some bad words, name calling, and using name in vain.
"Is not general incivility the essence of love?"
Crew:
Directed by: Robin Swicord.
Written by: Karen Joy Fowler & Robin Swicord.
Starring:
Maria Bello as Jocelyn.
Emily Blunt as Prudie.
Kathy Baker as Bernadette.
Amy Brenneman as Sylvia.
Hugh Dancy as Grigg.
Maggie Grace as Allegra.
Jimmy Smits as Daniel.
Kevin Zegers as Trey.
Marc Blucas as Dean.
Parisa Fitz-Henley as Corinne.
Lynn Redgrave as Mama Sky.
Myndy Crist as Lynne.
Nancy Travis as Cat.
Cinematography: 7, wasn't remarkable or that interesting.
Cinematography by: John Toon.
Music: 7, because I really don't remember any of what the score was.
Music by: Aaron Zigman.
Notes: There are some STAR WARS spoilers in this movie, so watch SW first.
Quotes: 7, every time my sister and I talk about Jane Austen we quote Grigg by saying, "That bother anyone else?"
Content: 3, there are some really suggestive words and actions as well as a part where I actually turned it off until it was past (if you know what I mean by my vagueness). It also deals with divorce and remarriage, talking about body parts, and smoking. Some of these are shown as bad and characters grow from that, but others it is shown as good? I do not like this. Not to be spoilers, but I have to put this for content warning for others. A character lives a lesbian lifestyle and everything with her involves that. I personally don't agree with those ideas of dealing with that, but I don't hate anybody either (which I feel is a common misconception). I plan to do a post more deeply on my thoughts in the future (might be weeks or months from now, I don't know) and I will link it here when I do.
Originality: 8. Everyone loves reading Jane Austen, right? It was fun to see people discussing the books!
Good For: I don't know! I don't really want to recommend this to Jane Austen fans because they might love it or hate it.
Age Range: This movie is PG-13, but I don't think they handled some things very well. This is definitely not clean. Maybe more like 15?
Overall Score: 5.
Bonus thoughts:
Honestly, most of my dislike of this movie is with the content. I had a fun time watching this with my sister because we are both huge Jane Austen fans and we were trying to figure out "who was who". Even though Pride & Prejudice is my favorite, it was refreshing to see a Jane Austen movie that focused on her other works more than that one. I had never seen Emily Blunt in a role like this, so that was a change.
Can we talk about the characters? My sister and I decided that we loved Grigg. He was hilarious and sweet! He was definitely our favorite part (but, we did not like one part with him. We were not happy, Bob, not happy.) I don't see myself ever watching this again, but it was fun for one afternoon. If it were cleaner or the consequences were more sever would I? Probably. Would I possibly just watch it for Grigg? Yeah. He made the whole movie worth it.



Your turn! Where are my Jane Austen fans? Have any of you seen this?
Thanks for reading!

MovieCritic

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a Jane Austin fan, but it looks like a fun romantic comedy. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch a lot of rom-coms, but it was sweet in parts! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This looks like an interesting movie.
    Great review, as always.
    Content can be annoying, but it can also not be. It really depends on how they handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, McKayla!
      You are so right! It all depends on how they handle it. I just read Anna Karenina which deals with a very sensitive topic and knowing what it was about I thought I wouldn't like it, but it was handled so well and I loved it!

      Delete
  3. I might check this one out. I'm a newer Austen fan, but I think I might like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, you saw the new Emma! I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's on DVD. If you see this let me know what you think!

      Delete
  4. I know it's been a long time since you posted this review, so I don't know if you'll see this, but I wanted to add my thoughts since I saw it back in February.
    I would say I liked it, but I didn't love it. It was fun to watch once, and I wouldn't mind watching it again, but it's not one of my favorites.
    Grigg was amazing! He was definitely my favorite character. I loved all of his references.
    Also, I loved that Jocelyn read some of the books he suggested. It was just a great scene.
    Oh, what was the scene that you turned it off for? Was it the scene with Prudie and....I think his name was Trey. That part made me pretty uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please always come back and tell me your thoughts on the movie I review, McKayla! I'm just sorry that it has taken me a quarter of a year to see it!
      Same as me, liked it just fine but I won't be talking about it forever.
      Grigg was such a sweetheart! I'm so happy that you liked him as much as I did! His references were perfect. Yeah, the fact that Jocelyn FINALLY read the books he told her to was one of my favorite parts. Guys have great suggestions as well as girls!
      Yep, that scene with Prudie and Trey was one of the reasons I didn't like it. I also didn't like how Grigg and Jocelyn's relationship seemed to be all aiming towards one thing. I felt like it could've been done better, you know?
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles