"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Movie Review: For Me and My Gal (1942)

Hello, movie lovers!

Gene Kelly is one of my favorite old time actors, and today I am going to be reviewing the first movie that he was ever in! He and Judy Garland are playing two stage performers trying to make it to the "big stage". It is the movie For Me and My Gal (1942)! But don't get this confused with the 1932 movie Me and My Gal starring Spencer Tracy. These are two different films!

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.


For Me and My Gal (1942):
Based on: a true story about vaudeville actors Harry Palmer and Jo Hayden.
Two acts get together, trying to make it to Palace Theatre, the top spot in New York. Through different circumstances they find themselves growing to love each other. War strikes and they have to fight being selfish and decide what is right and how to help in the great struggles. But is it too late?
Genre: Musical, Drama.
Length: approx. 104 minutes.
Costumes: 8.
Script: 10, no bad words!
Crew:
Directed by: Busby Berkeley.
Written by: Richard Sherman, Fred F. Finklehoffe, Sid Silvers, & Howard Emmett Rogers.
Starring:
Judy Garland as Jo Hayden.
Gene Kelly as Harry Palmer.
George Murphy as Jimmy K. Metcalf.
Martha Eggerth as Eve Minard.
Stephen McNally as Mr. Waring.
Ben Blue as Sid Simms.
Richard Quine as Danny Hayden.
Keenan Wynn as Eddie Milton.
Lucille Norman as Lily Duncan.
Cinematography: 9.
Cinematography by: William H. Daniels.
Music: 10, I love seeing Gene Kelly and Judy Garland sing together! They are so sweet. My favorite is probably "For Me and My Gal". Makes sense, right?
Music by: Roger Edens.
Quotes: 9. "You only live once, you know."
Notes: This movie was made during World War II, but it was actually set in World War I.
Storyline: 7, there is smoking, some drinking, death, and a little bit of war violence. It is really well done!
Good For: Musical fans.
Age Range: I have always loved musicals, so I think most kids would love this, too!
Overall Score: 8.5!

I have reviewed this for Pure Entertainment Preservation Society's Favorite Code Film Blogathon, which is part of #CleanMovieMonth85! It is two days late, because this summer has been super busy for me, but Tiffany said that it would be fine if I was a little late.
My thoughts:
When PEPS announced this blogathon, I immediately knew that I wanted to review this film. I first saw this last August and I loved it. I had recently learned about the Motion Picture Production Code (1934-1954), and I noticed some things in here that were handled really well, which probably wouldn't have been if it was made in any other time.
Gene Kelly is one of my favorite actors (he is in my favorite movie of all time, Singin' in the Rain [1952]), so I was really excited to see his first movie. He plays the character Harry Palmer so well. In this there are times when he is a con and you don't like him, but other times he is so sweet you can't help loving him. He fights in battles that we have all experienced: selfishness and fear. No one wants to go to war when their whole life is a head of them, but with Jo's help, Harry fights against his faults and tries to do good.
This movie was actually one of my favorites that I saw in 2018!

Thank you so much to the Brannans, who run PEPS, for hosting this! Check out all of the other entries HERE. Also check out their website to learn more about the Code!

Thanks for reading! Have you seen this?

MovieCritic

6 comments:

  1. Oh it sounds and looks so lovely! Made during WWII but takes place during WWI?? I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you would really like it, Megan! It is a musical, and the story is so great! If you ever get to see it, let me know!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun movie!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy Garland, so beautiful! I've nominated you for The Sunshine Blogger Award https://revealedintime.blogspot.com/2019/07/the-sunshine-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has always been one of my favorite actresses. :) Whoa, thank you, Ivy!! I'll go check it out!!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles