"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Friday, July 5, 2019

Movie Review: The Greatest Showman (2017)

Welcome, one and all!

Way back in December of 2017 I heard that a movie called The Greatest Showman was coming out. I didn't really care. I saw the trailer, and thought that it might be kind of fun.

In January of 2018 a blogger friend of mine told me that she had seen it in theaters and thought it was great. "You should see it and review it for your blog!" she wrote.

In February of 2018 I saw the song "This is Me" performed at the Oscars and thought that it was great, and only wished that I could see the movie.

June of 2018 I finally got our librarian to get a copy. Then I watched it. Then I was amazed.

Now, in July of 2019 I am finally reviewing it. Why? You know me, there has to be a special reason and it turns out the July 5th was P.T. Barnum's birthday! How appropriate, right?


My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.


The Greatest Showman (2017):
Based on: The life of P. T. Barnum.
After growing up poor, and the company that he works for going bankrupt, Phineas T. Barnum has a brilliant idea. He wants to make a museum of people, and that idea turns into a show of a kind. He finds people who are different, who have talents, and he makes them the stars of his new "circus". When he gets distracted and different difficulties arise, the question is this: will the show still go on?
Genre: Musical, Romance, Biography.
Length: approx. 105 minutes.
Costumes: 8, there are some that are a little low, but there are so many that they did a great job on, it's amazing!
My favorite: They are all amazing, but since I love blue so much I love this one of Anne's:
Script: 7, there are a few swear words, mostly in just one song.
Crew:
Directed by: Michael Gracey.
Written by: Jenny Bicks, & Bill Condon.
Starring:
Hugh Jackman as P. T. Barnum.
Michelle Williams as Charity Hallett-Barnum.
Zac Efron as Phillip Carlyle.
Zendaya as Anne Wheeler.
Keala Settle as Lettie Lutz.
Rebecca Ferguson as Jenny Lind.
Sam Humphrey as Charles Stratton.
James Babson as Charles Stratton (singing and speaking voice).
Paul Sparks as James Gordon Bennett.
Daniel Everidge as The Lord of Leeds.
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Natasha Liu Bordizzo, Radu Spinghel, Timothy Hughes, Luciano Acuna Jr., Danial Son, Yusaku Komori, Nick Jantz, Kenneth Chan, Martha Nichols, Jonathan Redavid, Shannon Holtzapffel, Jeremy Hudson, Taylor James, Caoife Coleman, Mishay Petronelli, Chelsea Caso, Khasan Brasilford, Alex Wong, Julius Rubio, Vincent-Oliver Noiseux, DeAnna Walters, Jessica Castro, Najla Gilam, & Christina Glur as Various Ensemble Dancers.
Austyn Johnson as Caroline Barnum.
Cameron Seely as Helen Barnum.
Ellis Rubin as Young P. T. Barnum.
Ziv Zaifman as Young P. T. Barnum (singing voice).
Skylar Dunn as Young Charity.
Eric Anderson as Mr. O'Malley.
Byron Jennings as Mr. Carlyle.
Betsy Aidem as Mrs. Carlyle.
Fredric Lehne as Benjamin Hallett.
Kathryn Meisle as Hannah Hallett.
Gayle Rankin as Queen Victoria.
Shuler Hensley as Lead Protester.
(Man, there are a lot of actors!)
Cinematography: 10! All the dancing is so incredible, I can't even imagine the work that they put into it. But it also has a weird way that the songs are filmed. I'm okay with it, but my mom and dad don't really like it.
Cinematography by: Seamus McGarvey.
Music: 10! I love the songs! "A Million Dreams" is probably my favorite, but I love "This Is Me" and "Never Enough". I'm actually listening to the soundtrack while I write this review. For some reason I didn't used to like "Rewrite the Stars" but now I do! I just love them all.
Music by: John Debney & Joseph Trapanese.
Quotes: 9. "You don't need everyone to love you, Phin. Only a few good people."
Storyline: 8, so there is a very sensitive topic in here, but they handled it wonderfully! There is also some drinking, and fighting, but I think that's it.
Good For: Musical lovers, people who feel like they are different and not loved, everyone!
Age Range: I really think that any one of any age would love the music and setting!
Overall Score: 8.5!
Bonus thoughts:
I think that all of us at sometime in our lives have felt that we are worthless, that we are weird, "freaks", that no one could ever love. This movie shows that the world can be harsh, but that doesn't mean that we aren't loved. It might not be 100% historically accurate, but it is just such a fun and lively film with such an uplifting message that I love it!
"Another critic might say that it was a celebration of humanity."


The photos that I have here really don't capture it, you need to watch it!

Have you seen this movie? What do you think? Thank you so much for reading!

MovieCritic

14 comments:

  1. I tend to be pretty critical and strict about historical accuracy in films. But with this one, I can overlook the issues for the pure enjoyment of this upbeat, inspiring spectacle! I can't help loving it. Plus, the music, as you said, is fantastic. I don't think there's a single song I dislike.

    Enjoyed reading your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom didn't want to watch it at first because she thought that it was following the life of P. T. Barnum, and she wasn't interested. But when we finally got her to (yesterday) she liked it because of all the modern music the wove into it. It is an awesome movie! Right? Usually in musicals I have a least favorite, but I don't in this one! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. I watched it and liked it but didn't love it. I really liked the beginning with the little kids and was disappointed when they grew up ... guess maybe that ruined the rest of the movie for me, because I wanted to see a cute kid musical ;p

    https://keturahskorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that! The beginning is one of my favorite parts because of how sweet the kids are. It would be awesome to see a musical that was entirely about kids like that! That would be very fun. :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen The Greatest Showman. It sounds good though. :D We kinda wait til the library gets movies, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! The sets, costumes, and songs are awesome. :) I am usually more patient, but it had been about half a year so I had to ask the librarian. ;) I just couldn't wait!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you reviewed this movie! I had always been interested in watching it but never got around to it. But I do have a few questions about some hidden agendas that are in there? My mom didn't want me to watch it because she said there might've been some LGBTQ+ themes in it. I didn't want to push the idea of watching it because I didn't care too much about watching it. But yeah, I'd like to know your opinion on it and if you saw anything like over the top? Was that the sensitive topic you mentioned? I have no hate or judgement towards anyone who associates with a different gender. It is my honor and blessing as a Catholic Christian to show the infinite love of God to everyone and pray for them <3 thanks MC!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Fawnabelle! Yeah, anytime you have questions about any of the movies I review be sure to ask me! :) I love to help out in anyway I can.
      I am always very aware about characters or times when they might be refering to LGBTQ+ characters in books or movies. And thinking about everything in this movie it does not have any of those messages! You can tell your mom that it is perfectly fine. There are two romances in here, but they are squeaky clean. The sensitive topic is a bit of a scandal, but nothing happens and they handled it really well. If you get a chance to see it let me know what you think!
      The love you show for everyone is so beautiful, I wish that everyone thought like you! As a fellow Catholic there is so much that I can learn from you. <3 Anytime. :)

      Delete
  5. I love this movie. I'm very picky when it comes to musicals.
    I was the same way. I didn't use to like rewrite the stars but now I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different elements that go into musicals that it is hard to find one that has everything. Isn't funny how our brains get used to things that we thought we didn't like? It is so good!

      Delete
  6. Exactly. Some that have great songs have horrible acting and some have great acting and not-so-great music.
    Yeah. It happens to me all the time with songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Sometimes the songs all sound the same. I like musicals where you can tell the songs apart, but also all really go together. Some of my favorites are Into the Woods and Fiddler on the Roof. What are some of yours?
      Same!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles