"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Monday, September 9, 2019

Movie Review: Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002)

Hello, everyone!

Each day we are getting closer to autumn, and fall is the perfect time to watch movies! For me, that usually means watching some of my old favorites. Today I will be reviewing one of my older sister's and my favorite movies when we were younger, which we always just called "The horse movie".

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.


Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002):
Also known as Spirit.
"The story that I want to tell you, you cannot find in a book."
Through the thoughts of the mustang "Spirit", we follow his story of leading his herd, being captured, finding love, and watching his freedom disappear. People are taking over the land with their big steel machines, but are all humans truly bad, or can some be friends?
Genre: Adventure, Animated, Family.
Length: approx. 83 minutes.
Costumes: 7, it is animated, and there aren't a lot of people, but there is someone who isn't wearing a shirt.
Script: 10, there aren't any bad words, but for that matter there aren't really any words. We get to hear Spirit's thoughts, and the people say a few things, but mostly we just figure things out visually.
Crew:
Directed by: Kelly Asbury & Lorna Cook.
Written by: John Fusco.
Starring the voices of:
Matt Damon as Spirit. "...as wild and reckless as the wind over the land."
Daniel Studi as Little Creek.
James Cromwell as The Colonel (who's character is somewhat inspired by George A. Custer).
Those are pretty much the only voices. Every once in awhile a different character will laugh or say something short like, "Easy, now".
Animation: 10! It is beautiful! I love it. There is so much work that went into it and it paid off. Some parts are based off of Glacier, Teton, Yellowstone, and Yosemite National Parks.
Music: 9! Eeep! Another thing that I love about this! The sound track, and the songs that play are both great. When I'm having a hard time with something I'll sing to myself, "I won't give up, no I won't give in, you can't break me, I'm free!"
Music by: Hans Zimmer (score) & Bryan Adams (songs).
Quotes: 8, and I'm giving it this score because as I said, it doesn't have a lot. But, it certainly doesn't need it!
"My heart galloped through the skies that night."
Storyline: 8, there is some smoking, and abuse of animals, but that's it!
Good For: Any horse lover!
Age Range: As I said, my sister and I loved this when we were little. Any age could watch it and enjoy it!
Overall Score: 9!
Bonus thoughts:
This is a super sweet story, and it is a fun way to spend an hour and a half! I think that we can all relate to feeling trapped, but it shows that we can pull through.


Thanks for reading! Have any of you seen this movie?

MovieCritic

14 comments:

  1. Oh my stars, the nostalgia. It's been forever since I've seen Spirit, but it was my LIFE as a five-year-old, pretty much. I loved Little Creek and Rain and Spirit and agh. It really is beautiful.

    And all this time I thought I'd never seen a Matt Damon movie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! It was a friend of my dad's who introduced it to my older sister and me, and whenever we went to their house we would want to watch it! It is so great! I love all of the characters so much.

      Right? Last time I watched it I couldn't believe that it was his voice!

      Delete
  2. I saw this movie once, a long time ago.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite movie growing up. I love the music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this is one of my favorite movies. It makes me cry every time and the soundtrack is AMAZING. I was just listening to it driving to work this week and teared up in my car. xD

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy because it seems that anyone I talk to has never heard of this, but then so many bloggers have seen it! I'm really glad to hear that because it is such great movie! Yes, the music is wonderful! <3 I've cried when hearing it, too. XD

      Delete
  5. I used to watch that all the time when I was younger! - June

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles