"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Thursday, August 29, 2019

Movie Review: What About Bob? (1991)

"Good morning, Gill. I said, good morning, Gill!"
(More like "Good evening, everyone. I said, good evening, everyone!)

Okay, I am finally going to do it. I have had this review in my drafts for such a long time, and now it is finally going to see the light of day! I hope you all enjoy!


My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.

What About Bob? (1991):
"Why don't I start?"
Bob is a really friendly person, but to put it simply, he has problems. It seems like no psychiatrists can help him, until he finds Dr. Leo Marvin. Bob starts to feel a sense of peace, but Dr. Leo leaves for his summer vacation. After a lot of effort, Bob figures out where he went, and steps outside of his comfort zone to go there. Dr. Leo is frustrated that Bob lied to him, and now won't go away! Will Bob stop being afraid, or will Dr. Leo's vacation be "ruined"?
"You won't go away!"
Genre: Comedy.
Length: approx. 99 minutes.
Costumes: 7, I mean, there is nothing great, but nothing bad. There is one time when someone isn't wearing a lot.
Script: 5, there is swearing. Bob has a theory that "If I fake it I don't have it.", so sometimes he fakes having tourette's syndrome by screaming curses.
"It's so right that you and I have come together."
Crew:
Directed by: Frank Oz.
Written by: Tom Schulman, Alvin Sargent, & Laura Ziskin.
Starring:
Bill Murray as Bob Wiley. "I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful..."
Richard Dreyfuss as Dr. Leo Marvin.
Julie Hagerty as Fay Marvin.
Charlie Korsmo as Sigmund "Siggy" Marvin.
Kathryn Erbe as Anna Marvin.
Fran Brill as Lily Marvin.
Tom Aldredge as Mr. Guttman.
Susan Willis as Mrs. Guttman.
Roger Bowen as Phil.
Doris Belack as Dr. Catherine Tomsky.
Cinematography: 7, once again, nothing amazing.
Cinematography by: Michael Ballhaus.
Music: 6, pretty forgettable, because I can't remember it right now!
Music by: Miles Goodman.
Quotes: 10! My family and I quote this all the time!
"Baby steps. Baby steps out of the office."
Notes: there is a reference to Singin' in the Rain (1952), which I appreciate because it is my favorite movie! There is also one for The Brady Bunch.
Storyline: 7, there is someone acting in violent ways to another person, it talks about trying to kill someone, talk of suicide, gross things, there is a mention of divorce, and a few suggestive things.
"You're saying I'm all tied up inside."
Good For: People who have many phobias, anyone who likes comedy.
Age Range: I think I first saw this when I was about 12, but I think anyone over 10 would find it funny. For someone younger, they might like it, but they might not get it.
Overall Score: 7.
Bonus thoughts:
This is not my favorite movie but it is really funny, and will always make me laugh. Bob is scared of everything, and we can all relate to being scared of different things. What we learn with this movie is that there is always something worse. But don't be scared of that! Live your life and don't be afraid to swim because you might drown, just learn to do it the proper way. Don't do everything based on "what ifs".Just try not to get other people angry at you, okay?


There you go! As I said, I have had this draft for months, and today is finally the day it is published!

Thanks for reading! Have you seen this movie?

MovieCritic

5 comments:

  1. It has been years since I've seen this movie! I'm sure I'd find it even funnier now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I saw it I thought that it was sort of boring, but after that it's been great! :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen this movie. Sounds so funny!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it has some really hilarious bits and good quotes!

      Delete
  3. Truly "What About Bob" can relate to so many people. Number 1 because there are so many people like Bob and number 2 because there are so many people like Dr Leo Marvin. Not to mention what a good actor both Richard Dreyfuss and Bill Murray are. I found it thoroughly entertaining! This is 2023 and it came out in 1991 so I would say it is a "classic" if it's still entertaining people over 30 years later. Filmed in the state of Virginia mostly..

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles