"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Monday, December 31, 2018

Memorial 2018

Hello.
At the end of each year that I have had this blog, I do a memorial for actors and authors that were close to my heart, who we lost in that year. This year it will be a little different, it won't just be actors and authors.


Ursula K. Le Guin: Author
October 21st, 1929 - January 22nd, 2018
She has written so many books, but I have only read two of them. I read A Wizard of Earthsea just when I was starting this blog. I was very confused when I read it, but thinking back on it I think I would love it if I reread it. I have also read Catwings. It is very short, but very sweet. I look forward to reading more of her fabulous ideas.



John Mahoney: Actor
June 20th, 1940 - February 4th, 2018
Though he was best know for his work on Fraiser, I know him mostly for voice roles. They include: Antz (1998), The Iron Giant (1999), Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001), and Atlantis: Milo's Return (2003). Though, just year I saw him in the movie Flipped (2010), and that is by far my favorite role of his, hence the picture being from it. He brings Chet Duncan to life with his wise pieces of advice. It is one of my favorite movies, and I will always remember his part in it.



Patrick F. McManus: Author
August 25th, 1933 - April 11th, 2018
My dad has probably been reading me his stories for a long time, but I first remember hearing one of his stories in 2012. We were going through a hard, and little bit scary, time, with a family member in the hospital and the rest of us staying in a hotel. My dad pulled out one of his books and we were able to laugh. Ever since then, I have heard so many of his stories. It seems like any time we are in a hotel my dad pulls one of his books out from his suitcase and starts reading. I will miss hearing new ones, but I will always cherish the times it has made me laugh.



Ellen: My grandma.
1920 - May 2018
She was one of the strongest women I know. Mentally, and physically. She had determination. She fought in World War II, and had her own business for a long time. Up until a few years ago she lived across the street from us, and every Sunday after church we would go see her and she would feed my sisters and I juice and chocolate. About 2011/12 we would go over every evening and watch Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune with her. I was surprised when she was 92 she answered a Jeopardy! question correctly when no one playing did! She loved to play cards and she won quiet a bit when we played with her. I miss her a lot but, I know she is better know because she had stopped walking and had been in a lot of pain. Thank you to everyone who prayed for her and for my family, we really appreciate it.



Stan Lee: Comic Book Creator
December 28th, 1922 - November 12th, 2018
Even though I have read quite a few comic books, I don't think I have read any that he wrote, but I always enjoy seeing his cameo appearances! I have seen him "appear" in: Iron Man (2008)Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) [this was the movie that my dad first pointed him out to me, and said how he is in every Marvel movie, so it will always be my favorite of his cameos], Doctor Strange (2016)Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004), and Big Hero 6 (2014). I look forward to looking for him in other movies!



William Goldman: Author
August 12th, 1931 - November 16th, 2018
Though he wrote a lot of things, he said this: 
"I don't like my writing. I wrote a movie called Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and I wrote a novel called The Princess Bride and those are the only two things I've ever written, not that I'm proud of, but that I can look at without humiliation." 
Those happen to be his two works I know. Well, I've only seen part of BCatSK, but The Princess Bride is so nostalgic for me! I really appreciate that he wrote it.



Ken Berry: Actor
November 3rd, 1933 - December 1st, 2018
It is no secret that I am a fan of the Herbie movies. And what I really love about Herbie Rides Again is his performance. He just makes the whole film! I cannot wait to see his other movies. Thank you, Mr. Berry.


Did you know any of these people? Do you have a favorite work or part of theirs?

This is my last post for 2018! It was such an amazing year! Each year just keeps getting better and better, so I cannot wait to see what 2019 will bring!

MovieCritic

4 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful idea. I'm still so sad about Stan Lee, but he lived a good life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Skye. That is so true. He helped make so many comics and movies, I will always enjoy them.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I didn't know about Ken Berry! Now I'm sad over losing him. He's so perfect in the old TV show F-Troop, which my kids and I (and my dad) love a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. :( I looked up F-Troop, and it looks good, and I'll be glad to see his part in it. It's great to have something that the whole family loves to watch.

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles