"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Sunday, May 26, 2024

First Impression Ramblings on Hotel Del Luna (2019)

Salutations!

The post that I have for you today I've been writing for MONTHS. And part of that is that I keep writing the intro based on exactly what I've been up to lately, but by the time I start writing this post again that is no longer current. And another part is because there's so much to say. And the images lived happily on my desktop all fall semester. But it's my favorite show I watched last year (2023), so you all need to watch it now, too. 

It should be a yearly thing at least that I rave about how much I love K-dramas. So you guys should come along for the ride.

After all, K-dramas are what got me into this First Impression Ramblings format, what with Cinderella and the Four Knights. Which I'm currently rewatching. Today's post isn't really a "first impression" post because I've already been rewatching part of this show since I finished it a year ago, but I'm doing it anyway.

Today the focus has a more magical turn as it is 2019's Hotel Del Luna. I started this back in October or November of 2022? And was just very confused? But I encourage you all to press through the confusion. I didn't until about February of 2023, and then I became OBSESSED. It powered me through spring semester 2023 because I used it as a reward on weekends if I had done all my homework.

I love the differences in these posters. On the left, everyone is so happy which is adorable. On the right, everyone is following their professional vibe. I have a challenge for you: find the extra hand in both pictures...

Because I've only made it through 3 K-dramas completely I am no means an expert, but there are some things I have noticed that are important: fashion, food, music, and the cinematography style. Quite epic, and I will get into each one, but here's a song to listen to while you read through this post.

This song, "See the stars" is the peppiest of the soundtrack, but my favorite is probably "Done For Me".

Also, I don't know ANYONE else besides my sisters who have watched this show (which. is. a. tragedy), but I'm going to try to convince all of you, therefore, I won't spoil stuff. This is me trying to entice you. Like Man-wol trying to convince Chan-sung to do things. First I'll give you a quick run down on what the show is about, but again, it's just generic so there aren't spoilers!


Plot:

Jang Man-wol had a bloody past but now is the owner of Hotel Del Luna, a place for ghosts to rest before going to the afterlife. When a human stumbles upon the hotel, Man-wol's ruthlessness comes into play. However, she agrees to spare the man's life if he promises his son will work for her. 

Koo Chan-sung has tried to escape working for Hotel Del Luna for 20 years. He wants to pay for his father's crimes and hopes that with his diligence the deities may spare him. But when he moves back to Korea, Man-wol finds him. She curses him, so reluctantly he starts working for her to beg her to return his life to normal.

Hotel Del Luna is the highest quality hotel and Chan-sung must find ways to serve the residents best while making sure they get to the afterlife and not become an evil ghost who will turn to dust, never to be reincarnated.



General thoughts:

I don't know anything else that switches from being a carefully crafted fantasy cinematography experience to being. absolutely. terrifying. This show is mainly about death. Therefore, it deals with death in all forms, looking at all the ways it comes about. That is always going to be a hard topic and here it is handled creatively, thoughtfully, and realistically. While I have different beliefs about what happens after death, that doesn't stop me from seeing the merits here and I LOVE the ideas this show brings up. It is one of the most poignant stories I have ever experienced. Whether or not you believe this is what happens after death, it is an amazing show to watch. It's touching and heartfelt and deeply sorrowful while being hopeful. Which is such a unique take and I am HERE FOR IT.

In my ramblings on Cinderella and the Four Knights I mentioned how I'm a sucker for any retelling ever. I'm sure I've mentioned it other times. Multiple times. And this?? This is TOTALLY a fairytale retelling. Fight me. I recognized it from the first episode and was so curious about how the gender swapping would work. And I love it. Especially because it is my favorite fairytale. At first I was a little concerned that things were coming off as grooming, but no, I just had the wrong impression. I may or may not mention this again (based on how this show is devouring my Pinterest, I'll probably mention it again) but the slow-burn? I would argue that these K-dramas rival Jane Austen in terms of slow-burn romance. I. Am. Obsessed. At the same time, some of these relationships I never would've seen coming. I actually screeched "is this a romance I smell??" because one of them seemed to come out of nowhere until the music and slow-mo set it up.

I love how these shows are so Dramatic (TM) in the terms of "a ghost has possessed a suit of armor and is set on killing you" yet a huge moment will happen between two characters and then we. never. talk. about. it. It's kind of refreshing because it feels like here in the States, every time character A looks at character B the fans go wild, while here it's so casual at times. Which is strange because other times we will replay the scene SO MANY TIMES. But not when lajlgdahgkldhgajhfld happens? I am fine, I'm just deceased. THE STRESS THIS SHOW GIVES ME IS OUT OF THIS WORLD. And it's all worth it, my peeps.

The trajectory of this story continued to baffle me in every episode. My Spanish professor would always warn my class that Spanish films are not like those in the U. S., and that is also true for K-dramas. It feels like here in the U.S. or the U.K. there is a set structure that we aren't supposed to mess with. You know when the climax is, you can spot the inciting incident, etc. As an aspiring writer, I love getting to know these structures and what I've written has been all the better for them. But at the same time, I tend to get trapped in them. Here, there isn't that structure but a completely different art form. What I'm saying is that while it can feel unsatisfactory, it also feels vividly lifelike. It's absolutely GORGEOUS. It's rare for me to say that the structure alone has made me rethink life, but this is kind of the case here. There's a combination of the structure and different morals than we in the States are used to, so it is thought-provoking.

I could talk about this forever, but that can so easily drift into spoilers. And I want to focus on some of my favorite characters, so time for Koo Chan-sung!


Characters:

At first I thought this show was a tiny bit overacted. Everyone was reacting too much and making caricatures out of the characters. BUT. Oh my. I don't know how I could even think that because this is some of the best acting I have ever seen in MY LIFE. MY LIFE I TELL YOU. It's like with real life, where you don't get to truly know who people are until you've been around them for a while. These characters are in a service industry so they have to do things with a smile and a joke. However, as you watch them you learn the struggles they all have and when they are putting on an act.

It's a masterclass, folks. Here are some thoughts about each of the main characters.


Koo Chan-sung:


This DARLING boi is absolutely gorgeous and the sweetest ever I can’t even.

ACK.

I will come back to this, but also, his fashion is FLAWLESS.

He is the most perfect character in the history of the universe. Scratch character, he's the ideal human. Which, being the main character, us writers are taught that you shouldn't make your character Perfect (TM) because there is no room for development. K-dramas are allowed to break the rules because they do it so well. From day 1, Chan-sung has been the sweetest, most considerate, kindest soul to exist. What he is learning to over come is the trauma and fear that he has been caring around for twenty years. He's learning to accept the fate the gods have for him and through that serve people to the best of his ability.

You can tell my beautiful boy is frazzled when he doesn't brush his hair to the sides.

I love learning the meanings behind the names and this is what I've garnered from his: 

Chan-sung = yes. So everyone is agreeing with him.

Koo = zero. He's Mr. Zeroth Choice. 

And then, ALL OF A SUDDEN, he's like, "My English name is Andrew" and I'm like "HOLD THE PHONE THAT YOU'VE BEEN MAKING DREAM CALLS ON ALL DAY." You do not seem like an Andrew based on all of them that I've known! I hate when people change names depending on language. It's your name! And if people can't figure out how to say it that's their problem! They should try more! Then later he's like, "It's a star"? I am confused. Therefore I need to learn Korean and rewatch this. I'm not complaining.

You guys don't understand how much of my heart belongs to this man.
All in all, I love my boy so much. He is willing to sacrifice absolutely everything for anyone who needs his help. The whole point of this show is that we should all aim to be like Chan-sung, okay? Other characters call him a coward, but in the beginning he reacts surprisingly well for all of the stuff he's going through. Go on, claim that you could do better. I know I certainly couldn't! The thing is, though, he continues to get braver and braver. And places his trust in the right people and protects people and EEEEEEEEPPPPP. *cries forever because it's so beautiful*

Let's just say him existing has raised the bar in every other area of my life. I need to be a better person, the rest of the world needs to be better, he needs a hug. The list goes on.



Jang Man-wol:

At first I thought she was the scariest person ever. And you know what I discovered? She is epic. Iconic. The level of "I will take you down without flinching" that Ms. Jang is? For example, when she's dealing with a ghost guest who turns humans crazy at sight, her reaction is basically, "Oh bother, not again". That is a legendary feat.

"Whatever it Takes" by Imagine Dragons could be her theme song. Is she ruthless? Yes. Does she have reason? That's up to the viewer to determine. Could she deal with this in better ways? That's what this show is going to explore.

I'm just saying, a slice of rebar is not how I would want to be attacked, either.

Her life has made her beyond bitter, and I feel so sorry for her. The relationship she had with Yeon-woo is such a punch to my heart. In one of the conversations she said she didn't imagine she would live long and he offered to give all his years to her? Aches. My heart is aching.

Obviously this is going to come up, but the fashion? It's kind of played up that when she's not in dead-set revenge mode, she's drinking and buying stuff non-stop. So no one appreciates her style, but I do. And her love of food?? Korean cuisine looks INCREDIBLE so every time she eats in this show (which. is. a. lot.) I'm hungry. I love the joy she gets from little things. Little expensive things, yes. Her humor and commanding manner are such a powerful combination, she is a powerhouse. She is truly fearless and I am wowed by her.

Every time I feel insecure, I think I just need to be like Man-wol and own everything. 


Kim Seon-bi:


Mr. Kim is the perfect gruff character. He's like an uncle to everyone at the hotel and his chuckle is one of my favorite things ever. He acts all tough and then he's so proud of the drinks he mixes. It's adorable. And he's also scared of everything but would never admit it. He's lucky he has Choi Seo-hee to hide behind.

I also called it because I knew we couldn't end this show without getting his backstory. Though it was NOT what I was expecting. And of course made me love him all the more because he's such a softie. And here we stan kind hearts.


Choi Seo-hee:

I've heard a saying that you should be wary of the quiet ones, because they are the ones planning something. As an introvert, I adore that. Ms. Choi definitely gives off those vibes. At the same time, you can tell she's what keeps Hotel del Luna running.


Ji Hyun-joong:

I call him my sweet baby bellhop. Even though that's not really his job, we're going with it.

Of the whole crew, he's the most baby-like. Considering he's been dead 70 years, that doesn't matter in terms of the hundred of years the others have been around. And he's such a sweet brother? The care that he has for his sister is pain. One of those "shoot me now" moments. He has so many wishes but he's quiet about them and therefore you want to give him the world.

He's so polite and adorkable with everyone, so when he started being snarky to a certain character I was shocked because I didn't think was possible for him. But I am all for it. He does this precious blinking thing but I can't find any gifs. So you'll have to watch the show.


Sanchez: 

Is he a main character? No, but he is one of my favorites and at times so totally me so he gets a section to himself.

He's such a fun roommate. I love him! Awkward and quirky in all the best ways, he knows right how to cheer Chan-sung up. Like eating pizza and imagining that it is "the boss's head..." Then  HE ANSWERED THE PHONE WHEN IT WAS MAN-WOL, that said boss! I want to see that!! Apparently they're following each other on social media now, mwahaha.

Though, buddy, don't tell Mi-ra how much stuff is worth..

Also, does he speak Italian? I mean, Chan-sung met him at Harvard, so he's got some skills, but there doesn't seem like there's anything he can't do.

Sanchez has the literal saddest backstory ever. I mean, as sad as you can get when I also just finished watching Arcane. And then the writers of the show decided that wasn't sad enough so they gave him more pain. YOU CAN'T DO THAT TO MY SANCHEZ!!!! He needs a never-ending hug.


Kim Yu-na:

If we're going off of main characters as being the peeps in the credits, that doesn't include her. But I'm going to give her a mention all the same because I love her.

I did not realize how much she would be in this show, but it's great. The SNARK. I love that she's a little minion who 100% does her tasks her own ways. Do I have any clue how old she is? No. At first it seemed more like 13 but later on maybe more like 16 or 17? Wait, maybe I could actually just look this up....I'm getting 18? Okay, maybe that's right.

Anyway. She's a precious little doll and I love her.


Other favorites:

Special mention to Mr. No, all the Magos (especially the pink Mago being invested in a certain relationship), and the Grim Reaper.



Relationship dynamics:



Employees with each other:

Technically I should separate this into Kim Seon-bi, Choi Seo-hee, and Ji Hyun-joong together, then all 3 against Chan-sung. Because they did not get along at first. I mean, they were afraid their way of life (if you can call it that) was ending, but planning on making my baby mentally ill is a little much. HORRIBLE. The slideshow of "how to kill" speaks volumes. And even my sweetheart Hyun-joong who gets along with Chan-sung the best was just like "that's too bad". Talk about trust between coworkers. 

Speaking of Chan-sang, he told Ms. Choi that he is a bit of a softie and repeats favors ten times over. Saying, yo, stop trying to kill me and just be nice and it will benefit you, too. And she was all like, "he was sarcastic and threatening to me!" No! Chan-sung is genuine. 

But, it develops into something so sweet. They rely on each other and lift each other up. They are a SQUAD if there ever has been one. I was SCREAMING one time when they had matching coats as backup because never has there been anything so epic. They keep each other in the loop and make each other laugh.

I love that the three call Chan-sung Mr. Third Choice.


Employees with Jang Man-wol:

The "don't number the deities!" then, holding up one finger: 

"What's that?" 

"My answer".

I never could get enough of the Grim Reaper...

Then you have Mr. Kim being SO PROUD of "Angels Tears and Devils Tears" and Man-wol being so annoyed at him. And I thought it was cute.

Mrs. Choi being the maternal figure that they all need is perfectly painful.

The sasssssssss.

Man-wol's jealously of the dead bride and her interactions with Chan-sung were brilliant. How Chan-sung is just like, nah, it's fine, this is my job. *heart eyes* He is ADORABLE. He excused himself before picking her up! That's consent, folks. And he's so clueless about how Man-wol is feeling and is just his helpful self and not prideful at all. And Man-wol is annoyed at when he chooses to be strong and when not, which, you know, is fair.

That whole circumstance was peak humor because when Mago told Chan-sung "Just find a dead person..." and Chan-sung was like, where are we going to find one? And she replied.....You run a hotel for dead people. And how this guest wanted Chan-sung because a) he's nice and b) she wants to be alone. Mood.

I will admit that Chan-sung's logic is not always there. Like when he thought "Huh, she stole a button. Was she trying to console me?" Baby, what part of that makes sense?


Music:

Just this last semester I was listening to music and "Done for Me" came on. And I actually felt sorry for my roommates because they have obviously never been wrecked by a K-drama AND IT SHOWS. 


Outfits:

This black lace dress? FIRE. Her little dance when thinking about a wedding is so cute.

The Breakfast at Tiffany's reference! LOVE IT. She looks fabulous. Is the word for "sparkly" bling bling something? That's what it sounded like. Or is it jewelry that is bling bling?

In the course of this whole show, there has been one (1) moment where I thought the hair was a little off.

No nonsense.

The way she described he reasons for this outfit, y'all.

Killer.

Anything you say, boss lady.

It's important to have an outfit for any weather.

OH MY GOODNESS. This denim 'fit??

 Another picture of it because she has outdone herself!

And yes, almost all of those pictures are of Man-wol. But the other characters are very stylish, too. However she outshines them.


Behind the Scenes: 

Yes, a different kind of BTS. Anyway, these are not part of the show, but they bring me joy. So you're welcome.

I'm confused about why these two are hanging out together in this choice for makeup and costumes because they never appear like that together...

Mago for the win.

We never see him smile so this fills me with joy.

The creativity of this episode??? OUT OF THIS WORLD. I'm pretty sure I can guess the inspiration for her...

Last thoughts:

This stinking show. It is glorious. The CRYING. And the plot twists and cliff hangers?? The talk about what people cherish vs. wanting to hide? My heart HURTS. HELP. It's so short (only 16 episodes!) so it's manageable and goes by too quickly. It talks about real issues in the world with how many ways there are to meet death.

The Subway and coffee product placement always cracked me up.

The full moon episode was a little weird for me on several levels, but the whole electricity scheme was amusing. Meaning how all the lights in the building have gone out but then the next shot shows obviously not on the outside.

Not to be crossing cultures, but this is reminding me of Spirited Away. Guest house for spirits vs. guest house for the dead?

I don't know how accurate it is, but the subtitle translation one time said: "Ambitious men aren't popular among ladies" which had me like SLAAAAAAAY.

This show is SO FUNNY. Then the next moment I nearly cry because it's about death and separation and hard things in life. Then we're back to being TERRIFED BECAUSE ACCCCCK.

The acting is some of the best I've ever seen. Which is hilarious considering how I originally was like, "it's over the top". It captures the emotions of the human heart so well, especially anger, regret, and revenge along with forgiveness and new budding starts. I implore you to consider checking it out and having your life changed.


This is kind of an intimidating show because it is so fantastic. So much so that I felt like it was hopeless to try to write this post because I wasn't going to do it justice. But if I can convince some peeps to watch it then maybe it will be worth it.

I mean, my problem is also probably due to how for months every time I've started to edit this post I end up watching the phenomenal fan videos...

How I feel thinking about this show.


Thank you so much for reading! Have any of you seen this show? Are any of you inspired to see this show now? Which of these pictures intrigue you the most? Any K-Dramas or foreign shows that you'd recommend? What are your favorite stories about dealing with death and grief?

Chloe out.

EPICCCCCCCCCCCCCC.

Chloe the MovieCritic

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an amazing show! Tempting to add to my watchlist, although I'm not sure where I'd access it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen (or even heard of) this show but it sounds really good! I'll have to watch it sometime!

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles