"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Thursday, February 29, 2024

The Fandom Favorites Tag // You've Heard it Before But This is Why I Blog


via GIPHY


Today I was frantically trying to come up with an idea for a post because you don’t always have an opportunity to post on leap day so you mustn’t waste it. So I was digging through my drafts and found this post I wrote most of in 2022 and never published it, whoops. 

This is all to say HAPPY LEAP DAY!

It's time for another tag, and today's was provided by Hamlette. Thanks for including me! It is the Fandom Favorites Tag, created by Eva at The Caffeinated Fangirl. This is such a cool concept for a tag, and I don't pass up opportunities to talk about my favorite things! The day I learned the term "fandom" seems ages ago now, but it was quite the life changer. I realized other people are as obsessed with things as I am! If you want to see even more thoughts on fandoms, check out this post that I did a couple of years ago, but for now, read on!


Source


The Fandom Favorites Tag:


The rules:

  • Compile a list of up to ten of your favorite fandoms. Books, movies, TV shows—you name it! 
  • Tell us about your favorite character in each of those fandoms, along with an explanation of why that character is your favorite. (Your reasoning can be however long or short you’d like it to be.) 
  • Tag however many (or few) friends you’d like to participate. 
  • Feel free to use the tag graphic (but you don’t have to). 
  • That’s it. Short and sweet!


I have a few additional guidelines that I'm following for myself. For one thing, I decided Disney and Pixar are too broad. How in the world am I supposed to pick a favorite character from those huge universes?Disney has over. 120. movies. How am I supposed to sort that out? They are just too huge. Next, I'm counting the fandom if it is something I dive deep into all the theories, memes, and headcannons. For example, I would count myself thoroughly in the fandom of Anne of Green Gables and Kate DiCamillo, but for the former I don't want to hear what anyone else has to say (I'm resistant when it comes to the movies.) and for the latter I'm too busy reading to deal with anything else.

These are listed in alphabetical order by fandom, not character name or any other preference.



Fandom: Carmen Sandiego


Is there ANYONE out there who has seen it, too? I don't know of anyone. My younger sister scoffs when I go on about animated tv shows, but I love them, okay? Sure, there are educational aspects aimed towards younger viewers, but it is about GEOGRAPHY and the WORLD and I hardly knew any of their facts. It has taught me so much. But, on top of that, THE CHARACTERS. The growth in this show is phenomenal. I've been a fan of the Carmen Sandiego video games for as long as I can remember so at first it was weird to be completely flipped, but I wouldn't have it any other way.


Favorite Character: Carmen 


Anyway, I love so many characters from the show, but without a doubt, Carmen is my favorite. She's brave, spunky, kind, passionate, persistent, clever, and adopts strays. She's also the most gorgeous animated lady there is, so what's that all about? She believes in second chances and making the world a better place. My second favorite character does not appear enough--I think he's only in...8 episodes? But we're not here to talk about second favorites.



Fandom: The Chronicles of Narnia

Source


This series has been my favorite book series ever since I read them for the first time, and I'm not changing my mind any time soon. I could devote posts and posts to these, so I'll spare you from my reasoning for now.

Favorite Character: Puddleglum, and others.

The pain of choosing nearly destroyed me (I can't pick between the Pevensies. One time I did, but never again), but our favorite wet blanket is the perfect choice. Well not perfect choice because I've agonized over it. Anyway, I love that Puddleglum himself never changes, but Scrubb and Pole's perception of him does. He's still seeing the glum part of life, but they realize that he's seeing life even in the darkest of times. I feel like my optimism can sometimes turn into this and I love seeing the value that it has. It's a turn away from nihilism and I love it.


Also, who am I kidding, this would be a whole post because the question isn't favorite Narnia character overall, it should be more like favorite from each book. So quick recap:

  • The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe: Mr. Tumnus
  • Prince Caspian: Edmund+DLF
  • Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Lucy+Reepicheep
  • The Silver Chair: Puddleglum
  • The Horse and His Boy: Avaris
  • The Magician's Nephew: Digory
  • The Last Battle: Jill

And that is literally just the first person who came to my head. If I were to ponder this more I would have different answers and probably cry, so we're moving on.




Fandom: Harry Potter 

Source

I know there are controversies about J.K.Rowling so I'm talking about her, just her books. Yes, the books that are hyped up. They've been part of my life for so long that they deserve a spot in my favorites. I went through periods of being annoyed by them, but I've come to really appreciate them and one of my favorite things to think about is imagining the school years of all the adults.

Favorite Character: Luna Lovegood 

My favorite character is my kindred sprit, darling Luna Lovegood. Closely followed by Neville Longbottom and Ron Weasley. Luna is ethereal. She's shunned for being different but she never lets that bother her and is always her adorable self, even if people think she's quirky. She has the kindest heart to anyone and everyone. I say this to everyone when I talk about Harry Potter, but my goal in life is to be like Luna.



Fandom: Jane Austen

Source

I wrote this whole post out up to this point and was feeling proud of myself when I remembered I hadn't actually chosen a favorite character. Oh the horror. We'll talk about why I love it first. This is my comfort fandom for sure. Any time I get sick, my first reaction is to watch a Jane Austen. The witty dialogue, the character development, the simplicity, everything.

Favorite Character: Elizabeth Bennet

I always like to pick the favorites that no one else has. And this is making this hard because I feel like everyone is fairly equally loved, but I don't want to pick anyone who I relate to. Almost by process of elimination then, my favorite is Lizzy Bennet. And because I just rewatched P&P 1995 so it's on my mind at the moment. She is sparkling in how clever she is. She says the most amazing things and people rarely get it. It makes me so sad. She loves walks and the outdoors and shines anywhere she goes. She also has to put up with the most outrageous proposals, so props to her for handling those with so much grace. I couldn't find the pin, but once on Pinterest I found something along the lines of "I think we all thought we'd grow up to be the charming and clever Elizabeth Bennet and instead became the introverted and stressed out Fitzwilliam Darcy" and I FEEL THAT.







Fandom: Marvel

Source

One of these fandoms could be "archery" in and of itself, but we'll settle with how in any fandom my favorite character is the archer. I joined the MCU late (aka right before Endgame), but I love it. Yes, they can sometimes drift into being pure action movies, but I love the internal conflict that is always as strong as the external action. Every action that these characters take, every decision that they make, I always believe it 100%. That's how well these characters are. That's why one of my favorite movies is Civil War, because just looking at the plot I would usually hate it. But the dynamics between every single character make the whole movie so thrilling to me and I'm always fascinated by their interactions with each other.

Favorite Character: Clint Barton

Clint is such a strong presence. He's never in a fight with anyone else, he's funny, he's patient, he's quick to analyze a situation. He has had some hard missions, but he will give people second chances more than anyone else. I am most upset at Infinity War not because of what happens but because Clint isn't in it. I love his place in the team as a brother and father figure. And he's so skilled, it's fantastic.




Fandom: Robin Hood

Source

Specifically The BBC version. This show has been watched by me so many times and I never get tired of it. The question "Will you tolerate this injustice?" gives me chills. This show makes me laugh, makes me cry, makes me want to be a better person. And that's what storytelling is about. The connections between the characters always makes the ending hard. I want this show to go on and on; you can't make me abandon the family I have found in all of them.

Favorite Character: Marian of Knighton 

Marian is such a breath of fresh air. Robin, though I love him to death, can get full of himself and his ego can make him make choices for the wrong reason. Marian always reminds him why he's doing this. She is strong in a time period I would have crumbled in. She loves her father and will speak up when needed. She is full of reason and cares for people who are hurting. She is unendingly brave. She will always be my favorite character in this series and one of my favorite characters of all time. Though of the gang, Much and Djaq and close to my heart, too. And Allan. And you get the point.



Fandom: A Series of Unfortunate Events/All the Wrong Question/ Lemony Snicket


Source

I started typing A Series of Unfortunate Events, but then I realized I love All the Wrong Questions more, but I am still a part of both fandoms. Therefore, it's the generic "Lemony Snicket" fandom. It works because a lot of his books are connected to each other. And I literally just wrote a whole post about this, so I won't repeat myself.

Favorite Character: Lemony Snicket

Source

Poor Lemony is so melancholy but won't tell us why except for "Dearest, darling, dead". But even as a child in ATWQ, he's very quiet in his ways. I mean, he's fairly snarky, but he's subtle about it. He's just trying to find is place in the world and work hard for his organization. And he ponders books and truths about the world. And I want to give him a hug and a root beer.




Fandom: Shakespeare

Source

Because I'm a nerd. And a gleeful nerd, at that. I wasn't a part of this fandom when I was younger, just a casual observer. But now I love to discuss Shakespeare any chance I get. I love to talk about the connecting themes and possible contemporary interpretations. The way that my sister and I go off about Shakespeare is unreal. One of the highlights of my year is watching his plays, and I'm so glad that where I live it's a yearly occurrence. 

Favorite Character: Feste from Twelfth Night

Source

This changes on a daily basis. But I'm still partial to the version that happened last year and Feste was amazing and I can't get her voice out of my head to this day. Anyway, I love the idea of the "fool" being the one in the room who is really the wisest in the room.

Because theatre is so cool and so versatile then we don't have pictures, so that's why I've got something that mentions Horatio. Because he's my favorite from Hamlet, though I have a soft spot for Laertes and Ophelia, too. Though my current favorite plays are Cymbeline and Much Ado About Nothing which WAIT A MINUTE reminds me about Benedick and Beatrice, who are totally my favorites, too, so they totally deserve a photo.

I dare you to find a sicker burn that that.





Fandom: Star Wars

Source

Ah, the fandom that reverberates through my soul with John Williams's score blaring. Yes, it's war in space, but at the same time with a resounding "NO" it isn't war in space. It's relationships and rebellion and the darkness that is within the galaxy and balance and hope. Y'all know the rest.

Favorite Character: Luke Skywalker


Followed by Rey, Leia Organa, Rose Tico, and Han Solo. At this point, why am I even doing this tag if it gives me so much pain trying to pick one favorite? Because talking about the characters is worth it. I've talked about my love of Luke many times (briefly HERE and at length HERE).



Fandom: Studio Ghibli

Source

The fandom that is notorious for being chill and honoring the ideal lifestyle. The magnificent animation here is renowned and I will never get enough of it. Though I think I've only seen 6 out of the 20+ movies, I call myself a fan. And the fan art is some of my favorite.


Favorite Character: Chihiro, from Spirited Away (2001)


She goes through horrors that we can't even imagine. And yet she is so brave and so kind. She develops a kindness in this movie that goes beyond friendliness but a full embodiment of kindness. She's not plowed down in her respect of other people, though. She thanks people for what they do for her and then continues on her journey, not falling prey to temptation. 



No tagging anyone because I am BARELY going to make the 29th of February, but thank you so much for reading! Please tell me all about your favorite characters from these fandoms!


Chloe the MovieCritic

3 comments:

  1. I, too, have a draft Fandom Favorites tag answers languishing in my Blogger archives, so I was tickled to see this pop up. I enjoyed reading your answers! The memes for Robin Hood and Shakespeare were especially fabulous, aND MARIAN, MY BELOVED!!! *vibrates with emotion* I love her so much and she's so wonderful and don't touch me. *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this was a lot of fun! That Narnia meme brought both Legolas and I a lot of joy today, so thank you. :D

    Okay, what is it with all my (blog) friends loving Neville and Luna? This is getting out of hand.

    YOU KNOW WHAT I JUST FOUND OUT CHLOE? Robin Hood lived near/in Sheffield! Loxley (as in, his earldom or whatever) is a suburb of Sheffield now, and the stepping stones where he fought with Little John are on the moors somewhere, as is Robin Hood's Cave, one of his hiding places! How's that for awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I never saw the Carmen Sandiego animated series, but I loved the original educational kids show Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? from back in the early 1990s!

    My BFF loves Clint Barton too. I love Thor. Neither of them get the respect they deserve. So sad.

    BTW, now that you have completed this tag, I have another for you! Bwahahahaha! I nominated you for a Sunshine Award. Play if you want to!

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles