"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Thursday, July 23, 2020

TV Series Review: The Chosen: Season 1, Episodes 1-4

Hello, hello!

This week is Megan and Samantha's Catholic Liturgy Week! This post is the first of my entries in it!
I'm really excited about this because though I am a Catholic, I don't have many opportunities to talk about it here on my blog. I am participating by reviewing a few episodes of a show recommended to me by a ton of Catholic friends. The TV show is The Chosen!
I first heard of it on Katie Hanna's post HERE, and after more suggestions from others, I decided to give it a try. I'm so glad that I did! I'll have my usual reviewing for each one, then some collective thoughts at the bottom.

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning. These are spoiler free!


The Chosen: Season 1, Pilot episode: "The Shepherd" (2017):
Based on: the true stories from the Bible.
Shepherds are told the good news of Christmas.
Length: approx. 19 minutes.
I'm going to break away from my usual format for this one because it is really short. But, it is so good! I will be honest, I cried. Usually it takes a lot more time to build up the feelings for me to cry, but this got me. The way that they filmed it is really neat, and ack, it is just wonderful. I watched episode 1 before this (because I didn't know there was a pilot), but if you haven't seen any then this is a great introduction.
Note: There was one inconsistency that I noticed, and maybe my fellow Catholics can help me out on this. I remember part of a discussion one time at a Catholic camp that Mary didn't have labors pains, is that true? In this we see some looks of pain on her face and it made me remember that.



The Chosen: Season 1, Episode 1: "I Have Called You By Name" (2019):
Based on: the true stories from the Bible.
Lilith was told by her father when she was little that she shouldn't be afraid because she is loved. Years later, with demons in her mind she is terrified and doesn't believe that anymore. Matthew is a tax collector who is disgusted with the people, and Nicodemus is being pressured by Roman officers to encourage new rules into the Jewish rules. Meanwhile, Simon and Andrew are really struggling with taxes. Is the only way to get on the good side of the law to turn against their own people, fishermen like them?
Genre: Drama, Historical, Family.
Length: approx. 52 minutes.
Costumes: 9, all very appropriate for the time period.
Script: 10, no bad words!
'"The pharisees make allowances for that if lives are at stake."
"No one's life is at stake."
"No, no, not this moment, but it's coming."'
Crew: Directed by: Dallas Jenkins. Written by: Dallas Jenkins, Ryan Swanson and Tyler Thompson.
Starring (Reminder, with TV shows I only list the top 10 most important characters for each episode):
1. Elizabeth Tabish as Lilith.
2. Shahar Isaac as Simon.
'"You're crazy, you know that?"
"Naw, just desperate."'
3. Noah James as Andrew.
4. Erick Avari as Nicodemus. "I will not continue to use my position of religious influence to benefit those who look down on my people..."
5. Paras Patel as Matthew.
6. Jonathan Roumie as Jesus.
7. Lara Silva as Eden.
8. Brandon Potter as Praetor Quintus.
9. Kirk B. R. Woller as Gauis.
10. Janis Dardaris as Zohara.
Cinematography: 9, the angles and way that the camera is very different from other things that I've seen, but it gives it a documentary feel that is neat and goes with the story.
Cinematography by: Akis Konstantakopoulos.
Music: 8, the theme song is not what you would expect, so I was very surprised!
Quotes: N/A, because I watched it so recently.
Content: 10, there are some fights with gambling. A woman is tortured by demons, but we just see her sadness, nothing graphic.
Originality: This isn't fiction, so I can't rate it here, but I really do like the way and the angle that we see it from.
Good For: All Christians as well as non-Christians! This is a perfectly great show for everyone.
Age Range: This is perfectly acceptable for all ages!
Overall Score: 9!



The Chosen: Season 1, Episode 2: "Shabbat" (2019):
Based on: the true stories from the Bible.
Shabbat is a special traditional meal honored by all the Jews. But Simon? He doesn't have time for it. He has to find a way to get out of the hole of debts he has landed himself into. Mary is celebrating it for the first time in a while, and is nervous. Nicodemus thought that the woman's case was impossible, and is starting to doubt his beliefs. What is in a miracle?
Genre: Drama, Historical, Family.
Length: approx. 39 minutes
Costumes: 9, same as last time, fitting for when it was.
Script: 10, free from bad language!
"I was one way...and now I am completely different. And the thing that happened in between...was Him. So, yes, I will know Him for the rest of my life."
Crew: Directed by: Dallas Jenkins. Written by: Dallas Jenkins, Ryan Swanson, and Tyler Thompson.
Starring (Reminder, with TV shows I only list the top 10 most important characters for each episode):
1. Elizabeth Tabish as Mary Magdalene.
2. Erick Avari as Nicodemus
3. Paras Patel as Matthew.
4. Noah James as Andrew.
'"What is that? You happy?"
"No, I'm handsome, I just happen to be wearing a happy face."'
5. Shahar Isaac as Simon.
6. Jonathan Roumie as Jesus.
7. Lara Silva as Eden.
8. Brandon Potter as Praetor Quintus.
9. Giavani Cairo as Thaddeus.
10. Anne Beyer as Shula.
Cinematography: 9, still such a neat perspective and style!
Cinematography by: Akis Konstantakopoulos.
Music: 8, I am beginning to warm up to the music. I have the theme stuck in my head.
Quotes: N/A because I just saw this a few days ago.
Content: 10, we see the after affects of someone getting beaten up (a cut on his face), but that's it!
Originality: Same as above. This episode was pretty much purely invented for the show, and not much happens, but I really liked seeing more into each of the characters's lives.
Good For: All Christians as well as non-Christians! This is a perfectly great show for everyone.
Age Range: Open to all people of all ages!
Overall Score: 9!



The Chosen: Season 1, Episode 3: "Jesus Loves the Little Children" (2019):
Based on: the true stories from the Bible.
Abigail finds that a stranger is living in the woods. She shows Him to her friends and He begins to teach them things as they help with His wood work. Abigail is always asking questions, but the one that He keeps answering mysteriously is what He is going to do.
"Joshua, ask Him questions. He's nice."
Genre: Drama, Historical, Family.
Length: approx. 30 minutes
Costumes: 9.
Script: 10, free from all vulgar words and phrases!
"Everyone has a much larger job than just their trade."
Crew: Directed by: Dallas Jenkins. Written by: Dallas Jenkins, Ryan Swanson and Tyler Thompson.
Starring (Reminder, with TV shows I only list the top 10 most important characters for each episode):
1. Reina Ozbay as Abigail.
2. Jonathan Roumie as Jesus.
3. Noah Cottrell as Joshua ("The Brave").
4. Eshan Inamdar as Child #1. (This is going to bother me that I can't find their names)
5. Jojo Regina as Child #2.
6. Nyah Marie Johnson as Child #3.
7. Gabriel Putnam as Child #4.
8. Stella Rose as Child #5.
9. Alycya Magana as Abigail's Mom.
10. David DeLao as Abigail's Father.
Cinematography: 8, this was the episode where the cinematography started to bother me. There was wonderful advice and wise words, but I could only focus on how the camera wouldn't stop wiggling.
Cinematography by: Akis Konstantakopoulos.
Music: 8.
Quotes: N/A.
Content: 10, absolutely nothing bad here!
Originality: Like all of these, I loved the perspective shown here! Children coming to Jesus has always been one of my favorite parts of the Bible, and they showed it so beautifully!
Good For: All Christians as well as non-Christians! This is a perfectly great show for everyone. This one is especially good for, you guessed it, children!
Age Range: From as young to as old as you can imagine.
Overall Score: 9.
I'm going to mention this later, but this episode was so sweet! I really loved it because it made me feel loved. The way they portrayed Jesus and the children was wonderful.



The Chosen: Season 1, Episode 4: "The Rock on Which It Is Built" (2019):
Based on: the true stories from the Bible.
Simon's conscience has begun to catch up with him. He decides to back out on his promise to the Romans and is punished for it. More is coming unless he can lower his tax debts, but no one will help him. His brother is sure that he saw the Messiah, but there is no time for that. And on top of all that, now the tax collector Matthew has started following him around. Simon yells his frustration out to the God he is sure doesn't hear him. What more can he do?
Genre: Drama, Historical, Family.
Length: approx. 49 minutes.
Costumes: 9.
Script: 10, clean of anything to make you angry. (Well, it might just be me who gets angry when I hear bad words).
Crew: Directed by: Dallas Jenkins. Written by: Dallas Jenkins, Ryan Swanson and Tyler Thompson.
Starring (Reminder, with TV shows I only list the top 10 most important characters for each episode):
1. Shahar Isaac as Simon.
2. Noah James as Andrew.
3. Paras Patel as Matthew. "You people want to be ruled. You want an excuse to complain. It's part of your nature."
4. Jonathan Roumie as Jesus.
5. Lara Silva as Eden.
6. Nick Shakoour as Zebedee.
7. Shayan Sobhian as James.
8. George Harrison Xanthis as John.
9. Erick Avari as Nicodemus.
10. David Amito as John the Baptist.
Cinematography: 9.
Cinematography by: Akis Konstantakopoulos.
Music: 8.
Quotes: Let me just say that I was waiting for the "Fishers of men" line the whole time, and it did not disappoint. So good!
Content: 10, a man gets hurt by a sword.
Originality: Getting more and more backstory on "Simon" is always good!
Good For: All Christians as well as non-Christians! This is a perfectly great show for everyone.
Age Range: I highly encourage all ages to watch this.
Overall Score: 9.


I'm sorry for the lack of photos! I couldn't find many good ones!



Thoughts:

Where to begin? A multiple season show about the Apostles, but from their perspective? Sign me up!
The creator, Dallas Jenkins, said: "People usually think about three disciples: Peter, Judas the betrayer, and all ten others." That's pretty true. I mean, I usually think about Mary Magdalene, too, but this is so awesome to see each of them! We do think of Matthew as one of the Gospel writers, and I knew he was a tax collector, but did I ever give him another thought? Nope. His character has had a really interesting take so far, and I can't wait to see where it goes. I also really like the addition of Eden. Another set of eyes to view Peter!

I really am enjoying it so far. I recommend it to all of you!


Sorry that this last part is a little jumbled. It's late at night and I need to get this up. But, I'll have another post on it very soon! You probably won't even have time to read this one before it's up. If you have any questions on this show or Catholicism in general, I would love to answer your questions!

For more posts about the Catholic Liturgy, check HERE! Thanks to Samantha and Megan for hosting!

Thanks for reading! Have any of you seen this?

MovieCritic

8 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks so interesting. I should definitely watch it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like it, McKayla! Not a ton of action, but so sweet.

      Delete
  2. This looks so interesting! Thank you for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! Thanks for giving me the opportunity by hosting!

      Delete
  3. Aggghhh okay so I need to see this. My family recently watched "A.D.: The Bible Continues" (I forget what year it was, maybe 2015?) over Easter, and while there were some things that bothered me about it, overall I was...super thrilled about how INTERESTING a Biblical show could be. This one sounds a lot better than A.D., so I'll have to keep my eyes open for a chance to watch it!

    And you're right about the birth of Jesus; Mary remained a virgin before, during, and after His nativity, so while I don't suppose that necessarily excludes labor pains (?), it seems likely His birth would have been painless for her. (Any theologians in the house?) (I'm gonna have to do some research now.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? At first I wasn't sure about the Bible being adapted, but then I realized how so many things have multiple versions and just how neat it would be to SEE the Bible characters. They've done a really great job with it!

      That's what I was thinking. I remember at the Catholic camp I go to there was a discussion about it and someone said something about when Eve took the forbidden apple she was given labor pains? I don't know, in my typical way I wasn't paying enough attention. XD

      Delete
  4. I love The Chosen! I binge watched it like in two days a week ago. I was having a lot of brain fog and was super tired for days. I had wanted to read my Bible, but I just didn't have the mental energy to, so when I found The Chosen it was really amazing and uplifting. I had tears in my eyes more than once watching that show and it was really cool getting to see the disciples and Jesus in such a personal way. Seeing Jesus dance at the wedding, laugh with his friends, lovingly comfort and heal others. It was beautiful. I can't wait for season 2!

    www.melodypersonetteauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Melody, another person who has seen it! This show is incredible. I had not read my bible in ages because when you're in the Old Testament there are so many rules that aren't even relevant today you can get bogged down. After watching this I was so inspired I read my bible for a full hour and have been doing a chapter a day since. Yes, the way they portray Jesus is so beautiful, with him making others laugh and showing such powerful love! Season 2 can't get here soon enough!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles