"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Book vs. Movie Review: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Hello!
They say that there are the ABC's of Science Fiction:
Asimov
Bradbury
Clarke.
Well, today I am going to review a book by C, Arthur C. Clarke!

2001: A Space Odyssey - by Arthur C. Clarke

A book that progresses time. A strange thing appears to the first men. A strange thing appears on the moon. Going through space on a mission to Jupiter in 2001.
Genre: Science Fiction
Characters: 8, we have some detailed characters, I would just like to know more about all of them! We have this printer in our house that we call Hal. That says a lot.
My Favorite:
Dave
Words: 8, a few bad words, but not that bad.
"Children grow fast in this low gravity. But they don't age so quickly---they'll live longer than we do."
Storyline: 7, The storyline is sort of confusing, but you get into it. There and some attacking, and death, but there is life too.
Good For: People who like Science Fiction, People who have to do things on their own, People who have lost a friend.
Overall Score: 8!

VS.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968):

Based on: the book by Arthur C. Clarke.
Starting at "The Dawn of Man" we see how something affects what happened. Zoom forward to 2001, we see scientists are on a mission to Jupiter, and things aren't working.
Genre: Science Fiction
Costumes: 6, they were okay.
My favorite:

Script: 7, a few bad words.
"Are you sure you are making the right decision?"
Crew:
Directed by: Stanley Kubrick
Produced by: Stanley Kubrick
Screenplay by:
Arthur C. Clarke
Stanley Kubrick
Starring:
Keir Dullea as Dr. David Bowman

Gary Lockwood as Dr. Frank Poole
William Sylvester as Dr. Heywood Floyd
Douglas Rain as the voice of the HAL 9000
Daniel Richter as Moonwatcher
Music: 9, it uses the classical piece of music, "Also sprach Zarathustra" by Richard Strauss and when you hear it you think, "2001!"

Music by:
Richard Strauss
György Ligeti
Johann Strauss II
Aram Khachaturian
Quotes: 8, "What do you think you're doing, Dave?"

Storyline: 5, If you haven't read the book, you really have no idea what is happening! It doesn't really explain anything. The thing with this movie is that everything takes so long! And there is this sequence of colors that might make you sick. There is some death, and some attacking.
 

Good For: People who like Science Fiction, People who like things to take forever, People who like flashing colors.
Overall Score: 6!

The book wins!

The scary thing with 2001: A Space Odyssey, is that when the book was written, and the movie made, these things seemed so strange, but with technology we are actually there. Scary.

Thank you so much for reading! What do you think of this? Did I give it a proper review?

MovieCritic

10 comments:

  1. You did a fantastic job! I've never seen or read it, but I want to do both now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gray! It is a little confusing, but there are supposed to be two sequels. And when you do, read the book first. :)

      Thank you so much for your comment!!

      Delete
    2. Will do. I always try to read the book first though, so then I feel super smart and cool when I'm watching the movie because I get everything! XD

      Delete
    3. Oh yes! I had read the book, but my sisters hadn't when we watched it, and they had absolutely no clue what was happening, where I would say, "They did that in an interesting way." :)

      Delete
  2. I have never seen this movie or read the book. Honestly, it's probably not for me, but I enjoyed reading your review:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Science Fiction is not my favorite genre, and this one is confusing. Thank you so much for reading my review Elanor!!

      Delete
  3. I'm happy you pitched the book and movie against one another. I watched the movie first, and was frankly bored out of my mind. However, I ended up reading the book and I loved it!! I even got a little crush on David Bowman tbh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought that the book was confusing, but after watching the movie I realized that it made more sense than that! My sister watched the movie without reading the book and I frankly don't know how she understood any of it. David is the best part. :) I read the second one and I've been meaning to read the third, too. Have you read either of those?

      Delete
    2. I actually recently found out there were sequels, and got super excited! I plan on reading those at some point, most definitely.

      Delete
    3. I'm interested enough in it to try the last two books, so we'll see how I like them! I didn't really enjoy the second one, but I was pretty confused. It will be fun to compare our thoughts on them!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles