"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Movie Review: The Great Ziegfield (1936)

Hello!
This is a great way to start the New Year, isn't it? Me, being completely late for a blogathon! But, I'm going to do it anyway because I am a huge William Powell and Myrna Loy fan!
Phyllis Loves Classic Movies, and The Flapper Dame hosted this blog party for the dynamo couple at the beginning of this year. I had to enter something, even if it is weeks later.

So sorry that this is completely late, I have been having a lot of computer problems (it's only 10 years old! The one I had before was my mom's and it was 30 years old!) Also, it is a beautiful year and I have loved getting outside.

Enough talk, for this blog party, I will be reviewing... (Note: This is not my favorite film that they were in, but it was the one I could review on short notice. [Haha, short])

The Great Ziegfield (1936):
The life of Florenz Ziegfield Jr., from his great shows, to the stock market crash.
Genre: Biography
Length: approx. 176 minutes.
Costumes: 8, there are some good ones, though a few aren't that great.
Script: 8, one or two bad words.
Crew:
Directed by: Robert Z. Leonard
Produced by: Hunt Stromberg
Written by: William Anthony McGuire
Cinematography by: Oliver T. Marsh

Starring:
William Powell as Florenz Ziegfield Jr.
Myrna Loy as Billie Burke

Luise Rainer as Anna Held
Frank Morgan as Billings
Virginia Bruce as Audrey Dane
Reginald Owen as Sampson
Ernest Cossart as Sidney
Mae Questel as Rosie
Joseph Cawthorne as Dr. Ziegfeld
Nat Pendleton as Sandow
Jean Chatburn as Mary Lou
Paul Irving as Erlanger
Charles Judels as Pierre
Marcelle Corday as Marie
Raymond Walburn as Sage
A. A. Trimble as Will Rogers
Buddy Doyle as Eddie Cantor
Ray Bolger as himself
Fannie Brice as herself
Harriet Hoctor as herself
Music: 8.
Music by: Walter Donaldson
Lyrics by: Harold Adamson
Storyline: 6, there is divorce, drinking, smoking, kissing and death. 
Overall Score: 6.

Thank you to Phyl and Emily for hosting this! And thanks for reading! 

MovieCritic

8 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this movie. But I enjoyed reading your review anyway,MC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this! Maybe I'll check it out, great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it until my dad and I started watching it! Thanks, Gray! :)

      Delete
  3. Hello, MC!

    Just wanted to pop in and let you know that I tagged you here:
    http://writeoncordy.blogspot.com/2018/01/another-period-drama-tag.html
    Play if you're interested!!

    ~Cordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Cordy!

      Oh, fun! That looks like a really fun tag, I will have to check it out!!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I adore old movies and I adore your blog - so much fun! Meet your new follower. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Kara Lynn! It is so nice to meet you! Thanks for stopping by and following my blog! It's good to meet another fan of old movies. <3

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles