"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Monday, October 31, 2022

Top 10 Movies that Give Me Autumn Vibes

Hello, friends! Happy Halloween!

Feat. me jumping out of nowhere.

This semester has been absolutely wild so today scrambling to get at LEAST one post this month in. How have your lives been? Let's chat!

I don't know if you guys know this, but the word "vibes" is one of my favorite words. I think it's awesome and evocative of the perfect thing. It is a trend around the blogging world to recommend our favorite stories that perfectly fit a season, and I believe autumn is the most popular. That's because the weather is ideal for cuddling up and experiencing stories while also being reminded of the time of year that it is. In fact, recently I've seen both Samanthawise Gamgee and Sarah Seele post about books that are the epitome of fall. Check out 5 Books Which Should Be Read In October and Books for Autumn.

I'm going to do the same thing today. Except...

MOVIES.

Because this is mainly a movie blog. (Sorry, Sam).

By the way, anyone have a guess for my Halloween costume this year? It's not Wanda, but it is Marvel.

When I told my younger sister I was going to do this, she couldn't believe it. In fact, she told me:


Well, I think it's a good idea. In the past I did not have extended experiences of fall, so I may have laughed at the idea of an autumn aesthetic. But, two years of living in a new place and seeing INCREDIBLE fall weather with gorgeous leaves and the sun beating down on it all...I'm a changed person. So I'm going to talk about it.

I had planned to do this a few days ago, but then yesterday I watched a horror movie and nearly made myself switch subjects. Again. I won't tell you how long it took for me to think of this in the first place, so no way am I changing now. But, I will add a rule for myself: avoid anything that takes place around an autumnal holiday. Examples:
-How To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) has a pivotal part of the story happen around Thanksgiving, so obviously it is going to feel like an autumn movie. Though, you wouldn't expect how much of a black and white movie would do that to you until you've seen it...
-How Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) is the most autumnal of the Harry Potter series, but it also seems that stuff happens around Halloween? Like the cool choir version of "Double, double, toil and trouble?" I could be making it up... Does anyone else think it is implicitly Halloween in that movie? Also, I typed up many musings on Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) before I realized that it takes place on Halloween, dash it all. You'll get those thoughts at some future date.
-How Coco (2018) and The Book of Life (2014) take place on Dia de Los Muertes. Even though I love those and they absolutely SCREAM fall to me, they are disqualified because the story is vital to November 1st. You should still watch them.

Mwahaa, out of context quotes.

I'm going to be talking about 10 movies because I think it is a delightful number. But I also have honorable mentions because I'm bad at making decisions. I'll say all of those then get into the 10 themselves, building up suspense and leaving the best for last...

Honorable mentions:
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) (but this may be just because I watch it in fall? I admit, I have a hard time separating those. The weather seems to be quite warm in this movie), The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2018) (can't decide if this is spring or fall),  Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002), and Tolkien (2019) (I literally talked about it in a whole--albeit short--post HERE). 

Starting at number 10:

10. Lo Que Arde (2019) (aka Fire Will Come).


I probably can't talk about this because I just saw it for the first time the other day, and therefore unlike most of the other movies on this list, I've only seen once. BUT I was so overwhelmed by the fall aesthetic that it has to go on this list. It's 10, so don't pick on me too much.

Guys, I had trouble paying attention to what was going on in the story (which was not good because I was supposed to be watching it for a class and then my homework was to comment on the story) because I was thinking "PRETTTTTTTTY" during every shot. I wanted a warm beverage and to cuddle up and just LIVE in the autumn of this world forever. 

Then it rudely changed to spring/summer (and other...). But, the majority was still fall, so I'm counting it! It's my blog, I can do what I want! The fact that it made me want to enter this world when I was operating on minimal sleep (from almost pulling an all-nighter to finish a project) is impressive.

I couldn't find ANY good images of the gorgeous fall scenery, so you'll just have to believe me. Or watch it yourself.




"Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles..."

All that tells me that it's perfect for fall. The weather in this movie feels crisp, doesn't it? So many things could happen if they aren't stopped, and something about that tension fits this season.


I think I've said enough. If you guys aren't convinced, let me know. Point me in the direction of someone who hasn't seen this (Maybe Tessa Dickinson?) and I'll launch into something eloquent.




MC, why are you including an animated movie when talking about aesthetics? Because animated movies are fantastic and you can't argue with me on this. This is one of my favorite movies to watch for Halloween--even thought it has nothing to do with it--because it is spooky and filled with spirits and just makes you feel like it is the dying of a season as there is suspense to escape it all. It is absolutely brill (sort/slang for brilliant. No one ever gets it when I just say that).

Studio Ghibli has a movie for every single season, and this is 100% the one for fall. Howl's Moving Castle (2004) could also be argued to fit here, but my sisters and I agree that that is more of an August movie. Here is animation at its finest.


There is rippling water, but you also get a chill in the air anytime you leave the hot bath house and despite its chill you prefer that to working your life away. Y'all, it's magic. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you should check it out.




This movie is one of my absolute favorites, so I will talk about it at any occasion I can. Today's excuse is how it shines out autumn from every scene. So many epic quests take place in the fall, don't they? That's because it's too hot to do anything in summer and too cold in winter? I don't know. I personally would probably go on an adventure in the fall, too. It kind of puts a time limit on your journey because you want to get it done before it turns too cold, and one can always think back on how warm home is. That's what you call motivation to keep going.


In addition to that you can wear cool outfits and feel awfully accomplished as you make it across the barren land.

I'm going to stop trying to convince you guys with my words and instead just show pictures of the pristine fall vibes.


There is some snow in this movie, so it's more late fall, when you are starting to get some snow. You know? Winter means DEEP snow, not light stuff. When they go up into the mountains you can really feel the change and it's so cool.


Not going to mention it not going to mention it not going to mention it AND THEY'RE MAKING A SERIES. I am counting the days, friends. I am so psyched. 




I'm not familiar with Australian weather, so this could be happening in what we call spring here in the States? I don't know. But, regardless, it makes me think of fall.

There is the comfort of a ranch amidst the ruggedness of the wilderness. Danger is present, hanging on the edge of a cliff, you know, so stakes are high. But then you go drink tea or coffee around a fire. The stampede of horses. The thrill of heights. The mountains are darkly welcoming.

MC, how many times are you going to have a version of this picture on your blog? As many times as I want because it is one of my tippy top favorites. I love these two and will never get over them.

Usually westerns feel dry and dusty, but this has an earthy feel that is totally autumnal. I know it has snowy in the title, but I don't think we ever see snow? That's because it's not what it's about, people. It's about horses. And darling Jim.



5. Fly Away Home (1996).


Have I never mentioned this movie on this blog? Time to fix that! The first time I watched this, I think it was in summer, but it has such a fall feel that I was immediately transported to that season. And so that is how it lives--what's the new phrase younglings are using nowadays?--rent-free in my mind.

There is a good dose of spring because there are eggs and baby geese (I swear, I can't think of what they are called. Help, anyone?), but autumn takes over all of that. This is on the edge of breaking my rule because it passes through Halloween and we see the characters carving pumpkins, but I don't think there is any dialogue during it? Anyway, it is not a plot point, so we are saying this is in the rules.


The father-daughter bond, the haunting lyrics of "10,000 Miles", soaring through the air, the honk of geese and roar of machinery. This checks all the boxes. Vibes are intact for sure.

 
4. The Illusionist (2006).

The genius of this movie's plot is...it's so good I don't have words for it. It is haunting in every way. The cinematography plays with lights and tints of colors that twist your mind. It looks at the past and unravels mysteries while at the same time making them larger than ever before.


From this and the next two movies on my list you could conclude that I just associate mystery with fall. You are absolutely right.

There is betrayal and ghosts and a detective trying to figure it all out. I really can't say anything about it because everything impacts everything else, but if you love jaw-dropping and complex things, this is for you.

Splendid, SPLENDID, I repeat. I applaud this movie endlessly. It's one of my dad's proudest moments that he was the one who introduced it to me and how much I love it.


(There is a scene in this movie that I really would prefer not to be there, so I close my eyes. Just warning you guys so you don't go into it without that knowledge)


3. Nancy Drew (2007).



NANCY DREW. I watched this movie a few years after it came out (2011, I think?) and it has been in my favorites ever since. It never gets old even though I know the mystery inside and out.


So, as I was saying, there's a mystery, but also school and fall in the city. And a girl who is trying NOT to solve a mystery, because that keeps putting her in danger. Nancy gets rude death threats and prank calls all the same. It is the kind of weather that you can ride around in a convertible in, but also have scarves and jackets. There's a creepy old house that is almost a museum, but is seeping mystery out of its seams. There is school drama and giving in to the want to discover the puzzle.


It's classy and fun and I love it. It has Ned and Corky in addition to Nancy and oh boy is there a bitter winter wind between them... Such dorks!




From the first few minutes of this show, the aesthetic is hammered into us. If mysteries are so important to the fall atheistic, so are foreboding mansions.


Sweaters and warm beverages and darkness and donuts and fear and muddy footprints and fire and violins.

This mystery is set from a different perspective than any other I know. I feel like most fall movies to me have a slower pace, but not this one. This one is rapidly changing as secrets are always at the risk of being exposed. Maybe it's Benoit Blanc's drawl that makes this feel like autumn? Maybe it's the knives? Maybe it's the ivy climbing the side of the house along with people? Maybe it's the family reunion and grief aspect of it all? Maybe it's the battle of greed vs. justice?


The filmmaking and the story tie it together so that this is 100% fall. 

This is my face every time I watch this movie.


And now for the number one...which is probably never as surprising as I have built it up to be...




Guys, at this point my blogging is me just seeing how many times I can talk about the same thing and get away with it. How many times have I mentioned that this is the ultimate fall movie? I know at least once, but quite probably more.


Yet another big, beautiful house, but more than that, it's being trapped inside of it. Then breaking out into the world beyond. A world with parks. And melancholy pianos and a vespa with wings. A world where a scarf can give you the ability to do everything you've ever wanted to. 


Yes, this is on the list for the scarf. And the coat. Which I talk about constantly. I'll know you get the point when you all tell me that you've seen it. Then I'll give it a break until next fall.


And yes, I am aware that the movie has a Halloween scene. And it is kind of a big turning point. But I don't care I'M PUTTING IT ON THIS LIST (that's a lie, as I do care very much because it's one of my favorite scenes because it is so adorable and just everything I love in a story). The WHOLE movie has a feel of autumn before that, so it just makes sense they added a Halloween scene. I started this whole post to talk about this movie and forgot about the Halloween scene (how could I!?) so we're plowing forward.


This is a movie that I've actually made it a habit to see every fall. Because it is that perfect. Autumn is a season of change, and the change in this movie is so personal because it's about how you see the world and people. That is the beauty of this season, and it is a masterpiece painted here.





Debate with me! If you think one of these movies isn't fall themed at all but SPRING or one of the other seasons, then let me know! I will say, for me winter means there must be snow. Therefore, anything slightly dreary but without snow is automatically fall. Are any of you surprised that Penelope (2006) is number one? My sister wasn't at all.

I just started watching Stranger Things for the first time to give me a boost of fall, so what else should I watch?

Thanks for reading! You've made my day. I hope you all are doing well! Let me know what you've been up to! Here's to all the treats and none of the tricks!

Chloe the MovieCritic

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I am the last person to throw stones about you talking about *movies* on your blog which is called Movies Meet Their Match, BUT if you're talking about *characters*, I will complain if the number from books is pitifully small. Savvy? ;)

    Ahhhhh Coco! This post actually inspired me to plan a Coco watching thingy with some of my friends tonight, so thank you! (I was gonna watch it anyway, but then I was like "oh! November 1! I should do it tonight! And with friends!")

    I never thought of The Princess Bride as a fall movie, but it totally is! Willow, too!

    I've never heard of Fly Away Home, but it looks really good! (And baby geese are called goslings. :))

    OH and Knives Out! I watched that for the first time over last Thanksgiving Break, and it's SO GOOD GAH. I definitely want to watch it again at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list! Such good pics. Penelope and Knives Out have the perfect atmosphere, and Princess Bride is just amazing! I need to check out The Illusionist

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list! I totally agree with you on Knives Out and Man from Snowy River, Love those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PENELOPE IS THE MOST AUTUMNAL THING THAT EXISTS and also I love that movie so much gahhhh MC stop reminding me how badly I need to rewatch it!!

    Also, I've always thought of the Man From Snowy River as spring-ish, but your interpretation of it as autumnal is totally valid as far as I can tell, and I am always down for more excuses to watch such an excellent movie at more times of the year. *nods*

    I haven't watched Knives Out but I might like to sometime? there is something very fall-ish about mysteries, for some reason. I've never figured out why that is, but it IS. I've read several murder mysteries this fall and enjoyed the experience immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fall movies can really put you in the mood! So many of these are spot on. Princess Bride and Knives Out especially!! I need to rewatch Knives Out, it's been a while.
    I'd also add Anne of Green Gables the sequel. The whole school scenes have beautiful fall colors.
    Gilmore girls also is very fallish! Although it's a show.
    Ahh, you are starting Stranger Things!! It has become one of my favorite shows!!! Cannot wait to hear your thoughts. So many great characters! Season 3 is my fav. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For half a second I thought you were about to say your halloween costume was going to be the ham from To Kill A Mockingbird lol. Turns out I just read too fast and it all lumped together in my head. Gotta love sisters and their commentary. Love your list for so many of these. The Illusionist isn't one I've heard of before but I'm really curious

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles