"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Wednesday, November 30, 2022

The Give Thanks for ...... Tag! // Movies Edition

Hello friends!


Happy late Thanksgiving! I hope you are all doing well! School is threatening to do me in for good, but besides some especially down days, this semester has been incredible. I am thankful for this corner of the world to return to whenever I need a break from real life!

Something that I am thankful for every day is story. The ability to convey emotions and messages to others through fictional worlds is so important to me, and I can't wait until the day that I get to do those things. For now, I'll just talk about my favorites.

You guys know how college works for Movies Meet Their Match: whenever I get time to write I either do a Top Ten post or a Tag. Today is the latter. Last year I filled out Hamlette's Give Thanks for Books Tag, and because that was so fun, I want to do it again. But this is Movies Meet Their Match, so movies time!

This was the image from last year.

(These are the rules from last year, but they probably still apply)
The Rules:
1. Thank the person who tagged you. (That would be me...)
2. Fill out the tag. 
3. Share the tag graphic in your post. 
4. Tag four friends.
5. Provide a clean copy of the tag for easy copying.

The Questions:

G -- A movie you're Grateful to a friend for recommending

Most times the world says a movie is generally "good" and I don't usually have people tell me that I should watch a movie based on whether I personally would like it. Except my family. And when it comes to my family, its not so much a "recommendation" as a "forcing me to watch it". But hey, I'm grateful! A few that come to mind are (that I was not going to watch anyway and they really had to make me...):

How my mom made me watch: Gandhi (1982) and Belfast (2021).
How my dad made me watch: Charade (1963) and The Great Escape (1963).


I -- A movie that fires your Imagination

Willow (1988). Guys, I want to write so much fan-fiction for this world because it really gets me going. Which is why I'm so pumped for the series coming out TODAY! Though I probably won't watch it until after finals. I just have to avoid spoilers for that long...



V -- A movie with a Vivid setting

Raya and the Last Dragon (2021). The setting was one of my favorite parts of this movie! Dragons are one of my favorite elements in fiction, so I was already sold by that, but how the WHOLE WORLD is based on dragons? Like, each clan is a different part of a dragon?? I love it so much and it is definitely inspiring my current WIP...

E -- An Encouraging movie

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013). It inspires you to live your life and admire the world. Finishing watching this movie, my sister and I felt so full of warmth and were ready for anything.




T -- A movie that Taught you something

Amazing Grace (2006)? I can't even pinpoint one thing that I've learned from this movie because the entire film taught me everything. It taught me about history, and compassion, and bravery, and justice, and standing up for what's right, and determination, and faith, and love. All in all, this movie puts in a good day's work.


H -- A Happy movie

I love that this question immediately prompted me to think of movies that a bawl during. Because the happiest movies to me also have gut-wrenching moments. But, I decided not to talk about those, but to find a movie with minimal crying (which is hard for me). Then I came up with two. One that makes ME happy (not that it would make everyone else happy...) and one that is pretty happy for anyone (while also making me cry only a tiny bit).

The one that makes me happy: Flipped (2010). If you don't know my love for this movie, just stick around for a few seconds. This movie is one of my all time favorites and I am saturated with joy whenever you get me started on it. It's adorable and life changing, and I wear the stupidest grin on my face the entire time I watch it.



One that is happy for anyone: Babe (1995). Aka one of the cutest movies of all time.


A -- An Amusing movie

I don't know if you guys are going to judge me for this, but I don't care because Kung Fu Panda (2008) is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It never fails to make me laugh and put me in a good mood.


N -- A New-to-you movie or director you discovered this year

Los Lobos (2019) directed by Samuel Kishi. This movie was so incredible. I cried a lot. Even thinking about it makes me fall apart inside.


K -- A fictional character you feel a Kinship with

Luisa Madrigal from Encanto (2021)


The thing about tags is that they give you guys a sneak peak into what fictional stories are currently taking up residence in my brain. All those stories are working hard on writing their own posts, I just haven't gotten around to it. All that is to say that I probably have a post about each of these movies planned in my brain. So you'll hear more about Luisa later. But for now know that "Surface Pressure" was my anthem all summer and helped me through it.


S -- A movie you want to Share with others

Something about old movies makes me watch to watch them with other people. Probably because there is something so nostalgic and comforting about them? Okay, technically I haven't seen the whole movie (I missed a lot of the beginning), but I'm going with You Can't Take It With You (1938). It touched me when I saw it a few years ago and I've wanted to watch it again with as many people as I can because I think it has great messages. And I know NO ONE who has seen it. 


(Y'all should be happy that I don't want to share the saddest movies. I do, but I just don't list them here. This one did make me cry, though.)



I probably can't tag anyone with this version I have concocted, but if you want to do it, consider yourself tagged! Like, if you're procrastinating school work...

Clean Question List
G -- A movie you're Grateful to a friend for recommending
I -- A movie that fires your Imagination
V -- A movie with a Vivid setting
E -- An Encouraging movie

T -- A movie that Taught you something
H -- A Happy movie
A -- An Amusing movie
N -- A New-to-you movie or director you discovered this year
K -- A fictional character you feel a Kinship with
S -- A movie you want to Share with others


Thank you so much for reading! Tell me my dear readers, how has the last month been for you? Only a few more weeks for me and school is done for the semester! I'm so ready, but I'm sure I'm going to miss it once I get home.

What are some stories you are thankful for? Why? Give me all the reasons! And if you've watched anything recently that you think I would enjoy, let me know!

I'm thankful for all of you, my readers. Hang in there.

Chloe the MovieCritic

4 comments:

  1. Wait, there's a new Willow series?? *is scared* *but also excited* *but also scared*

    Amazing Grace is one of those movies that I hear about constantly but still have not made up my mind to want to watch? (Maybe because I hardly ever watch movies these days? XD)

    Oh my gosh, BABE! What a good movie. Definitely one of my family's favorites, especially the "CHRISTMAS MEANS CARNAGE!" line, which we quote ALL the time.

    I find it interesting that even though you're the middle child, you relate most to the most oldest-child-problems-having oldest child ever, to whit, Luisa Madrigal. (I hope that made sense. It did in my head. XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, also: "if you're procrastinating school work..." I FEEL FAR TOO SEEN RIGHT NOW

      Delete
  2. Babe is the greatest. My family used to watch that all the time, but I haven't seen it in years and now that I have sheep I totally should watch it again?? XD

    and OH MY GOSH MC I HAVE SEEN "YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU". I love it very much. I was not aware anyone else had seen it. Isn't it BEAUTIFUL??! *fangirls quietly but intensely*

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Great Escape is a classic at my house and Amazing Grace has always been a favourite and I could talk about it for awhile.
    No explanation is needed for Kung Fu Panda judge the ones that would judge you on that it's a certified classic in it's own right as well.

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles