"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

The We ❤ Pirates Week Tag!

Hello, my scalawags!

Are you ready for a party? I certainly am! I’m dancing around with excitement over here! 
She didn’t host one last year, but the three years previously she had a whole week set aside for us folks to obsess over fandoms, and this year we arrrrrrr talking about pirates!

I have another post coming up, but right now I’ll answer her tag questions. Savvy?


I usually try to make myself think harder by not answering any of the questions with the same movies/books, but I’m not going to hold myself to that this time. Why? To get myself straightened out I made a list of everything related to pirates that I have ever dealt with. It was surprisingly short, which should be remedied. Let’s just jump in then!


SPOILERS for Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (2007), but that’s it. Don’t read this if you haven’t seen that or I’ll make you walk the plank!

The questions:
1.  What are your favorite pirate movies or books?

The question is plural, so I can freely name many! I could go on into infinity! Wait, you don't want that?


Well, I guess I'll limit myself.

The Pirates of the Caribbean movies: Curse of the Black Pearl (2003), Dead Man’s Chest (2006), and At World’s End (2007) (I’ve seen the fourth and it’s okay but not brilliant, and I haven’t seen the latest). Looking at all these gifs I have in this post has really made me want to revisit this series!

Captain Blood (1935). This had all of the swashbuckling goodness! This is one of the few “older” (pre 2000s) pirate movies that I’ve seen, so I would love recommendations as I greatly enjoyed this one!

The Pirate Hunter Chronicles: Ships, Secrets, and Survivors - by Sarah Rodecker and Helena George (they don’t love pirates like we do as they are hunters of pirates, but the story revolves so much around pirates that it definitely could be called a pirate book).


2.  Who are your favorite fictional pirates?

Captain Jack Sparrow from The Pirates of the Caribbean. He’s crazy, but: “Crazy people don’t know they’re crazy. I know I’m crazy, therefore I’m not crazy, isn’t that crazy?” which honestly describes me. That’s pretty much my motto in life.


Okay, and all of the other pirates from The Pirates of the Caribbean: Will Turner, Elizabeth Swan (here’s where the spoilers come in, as I loved her as the Pirate King!), Captain Hector Barbossa, all of them!



Captain Peter Blood from Captain Blood (1935). His actions are very understandable, but not cruel!



Captain Hook from any version of Peter Pan. I don’t like him because he is the villain, but he’s one of those villains that you just have to appreciate how well written he is. He is terrifying! There are so many excellent portrayals of him, but lately I’ve been considering Rhys Ifans who plays him in the miniseries Neverland (2011). Sure, I absolutely HATE him, but how quickly he took to piracy is impressive.



Luigi Vampa and his crew from The Count of Monte Cristo (2002). He is only there for a few minutes, but I still love his part for some reason. He influences Edmund’s story! Apparently there’s more of him in the book? I’ll find out soon.




3.  What do you like best about pirate stories? (Themes, costumes, aesthetic, etc.)

Based on the several Pinterest boards that I have, probably the aesthetics. Sword fights are certainly taken into consideration. If themes are woven in nicely then I will always appreciate that. Especially if it has any resemblance to Robin Hood. You can’t go wrong with that, right?



4.  If you were going to play a pirate on the stage or screen, what would your costume look like?

Something easy to move around in like this, but it could have simpler fabric colors:

Source

If I had to have some (PRETEND) pirate accessory, I wouldn’t mind an eye patch.


Also, one year I dressed up like Captain Hook and it was pretty sweet, so I wouldn’t mind doing that again. It was pretty convincing, too, because quite a few people I know didn’t recognize me! You can see it HERE.

5.  What pirate ship would you like to serve on?


I would love to be part of Auburn Sally’s crew on her ship in Starbordia from the book The Land of Stories: An Author’s Odyssey - by Chris Colfer. It’s an all female crew and hilarious things happen. It was the fifth book in the series and the most epic book ever! The last book really disappointed, but this one was a treasure.




6.  Any favorite sea shanties or pirate songs?

What do you do with a cursed Ashton?
What do you do with a cursed Ashton?
Oh what do you do with a cursed Ashton early in the morning?


I should know so many but my mind is failing me. "Leave Her Johnny" is a classic that is a tad sad. For a more inspiring one, I like "The Mary Ellen Carter".


7.  Have you ever participated in International Talk Like a Pirate Day?

Every year I think, “Oh, that’s such a cool idea!” and start to do it, but then after one “Arrr!”...


I get distracted and complete forget what I was doing.



8.  Would you like to go sailing on a real tall ship?

You bet! I can tell tall tales and the higher it is the more fun it will be to do this:


But actually I just really like boats, so yes please.



9.  Have you ever learned anything about real pirates, or do you tend to stick to the fictional kind?

I was forced to do some research back in 2019 because I decided to do a crazy thing and write my own pirate story/novel for NaNoWriMo. It needs MAJOR rewrites as there are not enough “piraty” things or mystery, but I’m rather pleased with it. So yes, I know a thing or two about actual pirates, but I have the skill set (ha, as if) to make it fictional.


10. Why is the rum gone?

Because I have something much better:


I had to get that liquid out of there to use for this, ‘cause where else was I going to put my dirt?





Thanks to Hamlette for hosting! This is jolly good fun, and I recommend all of you checking out the other posts HERE. If you want some treasure of your own, check out Hamlette’s giveaway! You might get something rare indeed.

What do all of you think of my answers? Please recommend pirate books and movies galore to me!

MovieCritic

22 comments:

  1. While not a book or movie recommendation, I would highly recommend the jolly sea chantey "The Wellerman" if you haven't heard it!

    This one if you like the full version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq5y4Trz2Bg

    And this version is not be be missed if you want to hear it sung delightfully lively! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auI9Cx8SGX4



    Very enjoyable post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read the title "The Wellerman" I didn't recognize it, but as soon as I started listening to it I realized that I have heard it a lot, but never paid attention to the words! I really like that now, and the remix was awesome. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to have it stuck in my head for days but I don't mind!

      Delete
  2. My movie recommendation would be The Mark of Zorro (1940 version)! It's not *quite* a pirate movie, but it's 100% a dashing, swashbuckling film for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dashing swashbucklers! I've seen later versions of Zorro and really enjoyed them, so I will definitely try the 1940 movie someday. Thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
  3. This was so fun to read. Great answers!
    The last one especially was pure GOLD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, McKayla!
      Haha, that last one was my favorite!

      Delete
  4. Loved your answers and that you seem to know a lot of pirate things. I need to watch Captain Blood!

    Your pirate costume is superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is where all my research has gotten me, I suppose! ;) Captain Blood was very fun. I hope that you have as much of a blast with it as I did!

      Why, thank you Skye!

      Delete
  5. Loved you answers! So fun.

    And you answer on why is the rum gone ? is just genius :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased that you liked it, Rachel!

      Thank you! I was rather proud of what I came up with, haha! ;D

      Delete
  6. The GIF game is STRONG with this post. :)

    Oh, HOW did I forget about Ships, Secrets, and Survivors? *facepalm* That totally slipped my mind when I was doing the tag, but it's a good one!
    I also totally forgot about Captain Hook...how on earth...

    That costume looks like so much fun! I kind of want one now...

    Same, I just really like boats! Going sailing on a real tall ship would be really fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. XD I won't admit how long it took me to find all of these because it's rather embarrassing when I was supposed to be doing other things, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. :D

      It is! I'm looking forward to when the sequel is published! :) Don't worry, it happens. Just today I thought of a movie with pirates that I loved when I was little but I completely forgot about. How could I do that to Sinbad?!

      Yes, costumes all around!

      Whether it's a lake or an ocean being on the water is just a blast! Maybe it helps that I've been swimming my whole life whereas my dad hasn't and doesn't like boats as much.

      Delete
  7. Cavorting on deck with Mr. Smee is the perfect pirate celebration. As for your otto, it's crazy!

    I wasn't aware of Rhys Ifans playing Captain Hook. You say, folks didn't even recognize you in costume? That is very impressive. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? He's so jolly that he immediately gets me in the mood. I agree with you on that!

      Yeah, the show went under the radar, but it was pretty decent! Thank you! I still rub it in with a few friends about how I was able to pull it off.

      Delete
  8. Super fun. I love pirates, although now that you've mentioned it, I don't think I've seen a lot of movies outside of Pirates of the Caribbean with pirates in it. I really like the mermaid song from Pirates 4, although I don't know if that counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's exactly how it was for me! Pirates always interest me, but it's rare that I actually see them in something! The Pirates of the Caribbean movies are so epic that it's hard to think of anything else. That song totally counts!

      Delete
  9. One of the best pirate concepts I've seen was in Disney's Treasure Planet, taking the traditional idea of pirates on seas and made them pirates among planets and stars. Such an amazing idea and aesthetic, plus the pirate in question, Silver, was actually given his own problems and dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there is a movie that I want to see more than any other, it is Treasure Planet!! It sounds like a fabulous idea and story in all ways. It is basically the only Disney featured film that I haven't seen! I've been trying to convince my sister to watch it with me for months and I will now double my effort based on your recommendation, TQ!

      Delete
  10. MC! This post was SO MUCH FUN! I was forgetting how much fun pirates can be! (Captain Hook is the BEST. Definitely one of my favorite characters in the book!)

    I don't read a lot of pirate-y things, but I do very much enjoy Treasure Island. The Muppets movie of it is such fun, too!

    And THE JAR OF DIRT. *bursts into laughter* That conclusion is PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan! Thank you, thank you! Some pirates are associated with the word "jolly", so they're just terrific, aren't they?? ;) Captain Hook has a vibe that's all his own.

      I've seen one animated version of Treasure Island but want to read the book and see the Muppets version! It is the pirate story of all pirate stories!

      *cackles with you* *bows* I do my best. XD I'm so glad that you liked it!!

      Delete
  11. Sword fights are a definite highlight of pirate movies!!!

    I remember your Captain Hook costume! Epic. But I didn't know you wrote a pirate novel! Oh, that sounds like such fun. I once had the glimmer of an idea for a book about vampire pirates, but it never materialized.

    Loved your answers :-) Thanks for joining the party! I'm already tossing around ideas for next year's theme...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They contribute all of the swashbuckling! Therefore, they are essential to anything that wants to call itself a pirate movie.

      Aw, thanks! That is my second favorite costume that I've ever come up with (The first being Jadis the White Witch). It was such a fun time writing that! It is set in Spain and I just love all of my characters. I think it is the first time that my characters were realistic. Vampire pirates sound EPIC! Maybe you just need some more time for the story to simmer in your mind before it all comes together!

      Thanks, and thank you for hosting! I will look forward to it eagerly!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles