"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Movie Review: Ratatouille (2007)

Good February day to you, readers!

Today is February 2nd, a day commonly thought of with an animal mascot. Iʼm going to review a movie about that very same animal, the rat!

Just joking, thatʼs my little sense of humor kicking in. Today is Groundhog Day, not Rat day, yet I am still choosing the rat. Iʼm sorry, one year I will actually focus on the groundhog! For now, there is a method to my madness. We are coming to the end of a year. I know that youʼre thinking Iʼm a little late to the game (youʼre not wrong), but the year that Iʼm referring to is the Lunar New Year! This was the Year of the Rat, and on February 12th we will enter the Year of the Ox. I am by no means an expert, but I thought that reviewing a movie with a rat would be a fun thing to do and I could connect it back in!

Did I mention that one of these rats cook? If that sounds odd to you, then keep reading.

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning. This is 100% spoiler-free! Reading this wonʼt give away the ending or any of the twists!




Ratatouille (2007):
“Whatʼs my problem? First off, Iʼm a rat.”
Remy is different from the other rats because he values what he eats. Food calls to him in a special way that no one else understands, not even his big brother Emile, though Remy tells all of this to him anyway. When their colony is found out Remy gets separated from the other rats and is alone in Paris. He pretends that he is talking to his favorite chef who gives him advice. After an encounter with a human, Linguini, they are both in a tough position. Together they realize which one of them can cook and which one canʼt. They come up with plan, a crazy one, but will it work? The sous-chef Skinner is suspicious of them, but can they avoid detection while Linguini keeps his job and Remy gets to fill his dream?
“Anyone can cook!”
Genre:
Animated, Family.
Length: approx. 111 minutes.
Script: 9, I wrote down that there is one bad word, but itʼs not notable.
Crew: Directed by: Brad Bird & Jan Pinkava. Written by: Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava, Jim Capobianco, Emily Cook, Kathy Greenberg, & Bob Peterson.
Starring the voices of:
“We are artists, pirates!”
Patton Oswalt as Remy. “A cook makes, a thief takes.”
Lou Romano as Alfredo Linguini.
Ian Holm as Skinner.
Peter O'Toole as Anton Ego.
Janeane Garofalo as Colette.
Peter Sohn as Emile.
Brian Dennehy as Django.
Brad Garrett as Gusteau.
Will Arnett as Horst.
Julius Callahan as Lalo & Francois.
James Remar as Larousse.
John Ratzenberger as Mustafa.
Teddy Newton as Lawyer.
Tony Fucile as Pompidou & Health Inspector.
Brad Bird as Ambrister Minion.
Stéphane Roux as TV Narrator.
Costumes:
N/A, itʼs animated and everyone is wearing standard clothing or cooking uniforms, so it doesnʼt count. If I was being picky (which I usually am but am not feeling like it today), I would say that there is one scene where someone isnʼt wearing a shirt. 
Animation: 10! Pixar almost without a doubt always receives a 10 for this category. They specialize in creating these masterpieces which have outstanding stories, but are carried so well through stunning animation. The rats arenʼt gross, but the way they are drawn gives them character! Also, all of the people are really unique. But, my favorite aspect goes beyond this. Have you ever wondered what "taste" looks like? This movie gave the feeling of tasting food a visual!
Animation by: Pixar animation studios.
Music:
10, again, absolutely marvelous. This story all happens in France and that is woven in the music really, really well!
Music by: Michael Giacchino (heʼs a genius!).
Quotability:
10! I wrote down really random things as my notes, but that goes to show you that this whole movie is chockfull off good lines. One that my sister says to me all the time (with the perfect accent!) is:
“Should I be concerned about this? About you?”
Notes: Chef Thomas Keller was consulted during the making of this film and came up with the recipe for the famous ratatouille dish. My family has made it and it is delicious. This movie also has bonus features of a Pixar short (Lifted) , and another short called My Friend the Rat, so stick around for those.
Oscars won: 1: Best Animated Feature Film.
Content:
8, there are dead rats, stealing, death, a suggestive line, kissing, and a scene where someone is intoxicated (one of the funniest scenes, but I digress). I won't reveal all of the scene, but one of my favorite lines is, "If you're gonna name a food, you should give it a name that sounds delicious.", and everything that comes before and after.
Originality: 10! This is one of the most unique plots that Iʼve ever seen, yet it works. Itʼs incredible. A rat who wants to cook? I love it so much. It shows you what itʼs like to have a passion for creating and to go after your dream! It is beautiful.
ʻ“Yeah, it was as bad as we remembered.  It just went out."
“Did you taste it?”
"Yeah, of course. Before he changed it."'
Good For: Anyone who is alone, anyone who loves food, families, anyone with big dreams.
Age Range:
This is perfectly acceptable for all ages. As a bonus, from young to old anyone will probably love this! It is relatable to all ages and has good messages, not just for kids.
Overall Score: 9.5!
Worth watching?: I have never regretted watching this movie in all the times that Iʼve seen it. It never gets old and I always get something new out of it, whether itʼs understanding the story more, appreciating the animation or score, or finding new lines to quote on a daily basis.
Will I watch again?:
This is one of my sisterʼs favorite movies, so definitely. I canʼt tell you how many times Iʼve already seen it, and I canʼt tell you how many times I will see it again!
Bonus thoughts:
“If you focus on what youʼve left behind you will never be able to go ahead.” 
Pixar creates wonderful and magical films. Something that I love about this movie is how it takes place in the real world. We see everything from Remyʼs perspective as heʼs our narrator and we see him talking to other rats, but he canʼt talk to humans. Every once in a while it switches for one second to a humanʼs point of view and all we hear from the rats are squeaks. Something about that communication barrier adds to it and makes you almost believe that something like this could happen. Could animals have dreams of greatness like we do?


I love all of the characters! Colette is amazing. If you ever wondered it there is a fictional character who I am like, it's Linguini, with a dash of Emile. Probably more than a dash. Remy is the perfect character to root for! Anton Ego is iconic. The whole time when I last watched it I kept really hearing Peter O'Toole's voice distinctly and kept telling that to my sisters. They would then tell me that they knew that. The characters are all so well rounded, not a single one is lacking in any way!

Like all Pixar movies, the messages are what hit home. Watching this you know that everyone has a job that is important, and no one is "just a garbage boy".


Fin

Thank you for reading! Have any of you seen this movie? What about any other movies involving rats? Favorite cooking film? Enjoy six more weeks of winter!

MovieCritic

18 comments:

  1. Ah, I LOVE Ratatouille! My family recently rewatched it without me, so I'm going to have to wait a while before I rewatch it...but this post is making me want to rewatch as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That right there is what always happens to my younger sister for some reason! XD We seem to watch this without her a lot but because it's one of her favorites we end up doing it again with her sooner rather than later...

      Delete
  2. I love Ratatouille (even if I can't spell it). I just rewatched it this week. It's a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same (I've learned a lot about French spelling from books and movies, but I still make mistakes often...)! It truly is one of a kind!

      Delete
  3. I've seen this movie before, but it was a long time ago, so I don't remember what I thought about it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get a chance to see it again, be sure to tell me any new thoughts you might have. Thanks, McKayla!

      Delete
  4. This looks like a wonderful movie! I've never heard of it or seen it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend it, Miss K! It will make you very inspired as well as hungry because of all the food.

      Delete
  5. Such a good movie, always makes me hungry. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is guaranteed to make that happen. XD After watching it I always want to cook which is something I almost never do!

      Delete
  6. Love this movie! And so underrated by the Disney community! I remember watching this for the first time with my old choir group and was so inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people love it once they see it, but getting them to watch it is the hard part so I agree! That's a fun memory! I remember getting our DVD copy, but I can't remember watching it for the first time. It is such a vital movie in my family!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for this post! Honestly my favorite disney/pixar movie ever! I once watched it four times in one month, you know. Heheh I'm a weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Violette, watching things multiple times in a month is so fun! I would do it more often if my sisters weren't always looking for variety, lol. This is a great choice for a favorite Pixar movie! It is probably my fourth favorite.

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles