"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Sunday, December 11, 2016

John Wayne Blogaton: The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)

Hello, I'm back...!
Once again I'm back with a post for the John Wayne Blogaton hosted by Hamlette's Soliloquy and Midnite Drive-In! (Happy Birthday Quiggy!)

For today, I will be reviewing a pretty famous John Wayne, The Sons of Katie Elder.


The Sons of Katie Elder (1965):


"From the four winds they came, 
the four brothers, their eyes smoking 
and their fingers itching."
When four brothers come together to go to there mother's funeral. The people in the town aren't very friendly to them and one person, Morgan Hastings, claims to be the owner of the Elder ranch. It's up to the four brothers to get it back.

Genre: Western
Costumes: 8, pretty good
Script: 7, okay, a few bad words.
Crew: 
Directed by: Henry Hathaway
Produced by: Paul Nathan
Based on: a story by Talbot Jennings
Starring:
John Wayne as John Elder
Dean Martin as Tom Elder
Martha Hyer as Mary Gordan
Michael Anderson Jr. as Bud Elder
Earl Holliman as Matt Elder
Music: 8
Music by: Elmer Berstein
Quotes: 8, "There's just one thing you're forgetting... you ain't been invited!"
Storyline: 7, There is some violence, and death, but besides that, it's pretty good!
Overall Score: 8!

Thank you so much for hosting this event Hamlette and Quiggy! Make sure to wish Quiggy a happy birthday!
Thanks for reading!

MovieCritic

10 comments:

  1. The Sons of Katie Elder is not a film I have taken to my heart like other John Wayne pictures, but it does have a lot going for it. Something in the telling leaves me a little cold. It feels a little disjointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't my favorite, John Wayne too. It definetly has a different feel.

      Delete
  2. I need to watch a few more John Wayne's. I didn't like the only one I watched.

    And hey, would you (pretty, pretty, please) ask Maeve to message me? On Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is actually my favorite John Wayne movie -- not one of his very best, but the one I love the most :-) I really love how he and Dean Martin interact -- they've got such an easy, comfortable chemistry that is also somehow a little combative. It worked beautifully for them in Rio Bravo and does again here.

    Thanks for this second contribution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the storyline, but yes they really work well together and this is a perfect example! That is my favorite thing about this movie!!!

      It was so fun! Thanks for letting me do this!!

      Delete
  4. Nice. Sorry it took so long for me to get my blog updated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone know why this western classic from the Duke is not available on Blu-Ray?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! I don't know why it is so unavailable, it too me ages to be able to see.

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles