"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Saturday, June 29, 2024

Inklings // June 2024

Greetings, friends!

I hope you're having a good June in all accounts! I'm closing out this month with filling out the prompt from Heidi's Inklings!

How it works:

    1. At any time during the month, on your own blog post a scene from a book or film that matches the prompt, including a link back to the original post in your post.

    2. Leave a link to your post in the comments section of the monthly post and she'll post all your links with the next prompt.


Click HERE to see all of my past entries, and click HERE to see all of the entries for this month! That second link is where she gave the following prompt:

An archery scene in book or film

Which, mwahaha, if you don't know, archery is one of my favorite things EVER. I've been obsessed with Robin Hood since I was about 6. Archery is the reason Hawkeye is my favorite Avenger and Legolas is my favorite of the Fellowship. So, of course, I immediately wanted to do a scene from Robin Hood but the problem is...there are a lot of versions. Including both film/tv show adaptations and books, I have 10+ versions under my belt.

To shake things up then, we're going with one of my favorite Pixar movies. Which claims a spot because ARCHERY. 


My pick is from the movie Brave (2012). This scene happens early on in the film and could possibly be called the inciting incident? I won't talk about spoilers for the rest of the film.


First, some context and the set-up: Three clans come with their first born sons to compete for the hand of Merida, the daughter of Lord Fergus. Merida is less than thrilled about these Highland games until she learns that she gets to choose the sport that these three lads will compete in.

Ahem.


Now onto the scene itself.


Fergus: "It's time."

Elinor: "Archers, to your marks!"

Fergus: "Aye, archers to-to-to your marks!

Elinor: "And may the lucky arrow find it's target."

While Elinor is saying this, Merida grins, looking at her own arrows as she subtly kicks them farther under her chair. We see each of the archers step up while the crowd reacts.

Fergus: "Oi, get on with it!"

The first archer---the son of MacGuffin---barely pulls back on the string and the arrow almost misses the target.

Merida, to her father: "I bet he wishes he was tossing capers."

Fergus: "Or holding up bridges."

Both chuckle. Elinor slaps at them for not taking this seriously.

Next archer---son of Lord Macintosh---is super dramatic with getting ready. Complete with hair flip and everything. 

It's a nice shot, but it doesn't quite hit the red. Which leads to a bit of a meltdown.

Lord Macintosh: "At least you hit the target!"

Young Macintosh starts screaming and wacking the bow on the ground.

Merida: "Oh, that's attractive."

Young Macintosh throws the bow over the crowd and people wait when it disappears until a hand pops up with a voice saying. "Got it!" and the crowd cheers again.

Merida: "Good arm."

Fergus: "And such lovely, flowing locks."

Elinor: "Fergus!"

Fergus: "What?"

The final archer---son of Lord Dingwall---pours out his whole quiver while trying to get one arrow.

Every time he points it at the target the arrow drifts away. 

The king finally has enough. 

Fergus: "Oh come on! SHOOT!"

The boy looks in surprise at Fergus as he lets go. The arrow hits the middle of the target. 

There's some celebration of crude types. Elinor and Fergus are staring wide-eyed. 

Fergus: "Well, that's just grand now. Guess who's coming to dinner?" (Which I just realized could be a reference)

Elinor: "Fergus!"

Fergus: "By the way, I hope you don't might being called Lady---" 

He looks over to meet the face of a dog instead of his daughter.

Merida: "I am Merida, first born descendant of clan Dunbroch."


Elinor: *stands up, muttering* "What are you doing?"

Merida tries to shoot but she's having trouble with the dress she was jammed into.

Elinor: "Merida!"

Merida: "Curse this dress!"

Elinor: "Merida, stop this!" 

The queen hurries down off the dais but isn't able to stop her daughter.

Elinor: "Don't you dare release another arrow."

Elinor: "Merida! I forbid it!"







Talk about epic. As you can guess with the movie poster, there's a lot of archery in this film but this scene is my favorite. Top tier archery is splitting an arrow.

Though, should we count how many times Elinor says the names of her husband and daughter?

Thanks to Heidi for hosting this! Thanks to all of you for reading this! What is your favorite scene in this movie? Have you ever called someone "wee lamb"? (I'm totally going to start that now)


Chloe the MovieCritic

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles