"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Monday, September 2, 2024

august slipped away and my tears ricochet // My Top 10 Fan Videos feat. Taylor Swift Songs

Hello, friends! 



August slipped away...and now we're into September! Because I have the day off from school I thought I'd share a post I've been working on. Because it's too hot to be outside. See above.

How was everyone's August? Any new stories experienced to report? I went to the movie theater for the first time in 2024 and read quite a few books as well as worked on my own creative endeavors.

Speaking of creative endeavors, one of my favorite ways to celebrate being in a fandom is to watch the fan videos that people have made. 

A fan video / fan edit is when someone puts the story to a song. (I usually use the term fan video/fan vid but I will through fan edit in there occasionally)

It's creative and it's fantastic, so I'm going to share some of my favorites with you today.

But there's a catch: this started as just a Top 10 Fan Vids, but halfway through (1-5) I realized they were all already Taylor Swift songs, so I decided to stick with it. So this is my top 10 fan videos made with Taylor Swift songs.

I don't consider myself a "Swiftie" because I don't know all the intrigue and meanings, but I think she writes some of the best poetry in the industry. Which happen to go very well with some of my favorite stories.

You will also notice that strangely enough, none of these edits were Gilmore Girls edits. That's because Gilmore Girls is the epitome of Taylor Swift and Taylor Swift is the epitome of Gilmore Girls, so that would be a whole post in and of itself. 

A few quick notes:

-SPOILERS: The nature of fan videos usually captures the story from beginning to end, so there are the ends of all these stories in the songs. I have put the name of the movie/tv show first so that if you haven't seen it you can scroll on by and go to the next one. I know some people who like to get into fandoms by watching the videos without caring about the spoilers, so if that's your jam, be my guest. Otherwise I'd recommend experiencing the full story yourself before getting the treat of the 3 minutes version.

-There are occasional words that mark the songs explicit on streaming services. I don't think that detracts from the stories told here at all, but I just thought I'd prepare any of you guys by marking it with an asterisk (*) if it includes that.


Honorable Mentions:

Wonder Woman 1984: Diana + Steve - "Wildest Dreams"

-The breakaway huuuuuuurts. And I love that // staring at the sunset // is fireworks.


High School Musical the Musical the Series: EJ + Gina - "Daylight"

- I’m just smiling ridiculously the entire time while watching so what more of a recommendation do you need? 
I like that the hopefulness of "Daylight" mirrors the dark resignation that both characters feel in "Second Chances." I should probably mention that these two are one of my comfort couples and I was here in season 2 all for them. 


Enola Holmes 2: Enola - "The Man"

I love how well it lines up from // I'd be a fearless leader // to // I'm so sick of running as fast as I can //. Y’all it’s just so fun to have this song accompanying the “you’re a man when I tell you you’re a man.” It captures the fun but also the trials of the series.


Now onto the actual list!


10. Letters to Juliet: Sophie + Charlie - "august."

Lyrics match-up:

// Salt air, and the rust on your door // is so perfect because it's a road trip movie.

// Your back beneath the sun // with her looking down on him

// Will you call when you're back at school? // "Why is it that I feel like a schoolboy?"

// You weren't mine to lose // with her running away and then his heartbreak? Take notes, peeps.

Other comments:

I originally forgot to take notes because I was just stunned by the perfection of it all. Also I just love the filter.

Wine is perfect because it's Italy. And I love that it's also kind of the grandma? Her whole story is that she once had a summer with the love of her life and now she's trying to find him. The match up for the tone is brilliant.

I really want to rewatch this now. Which is what a good fan vid should do.



9. Sherlock: James Moriarty - "Look What You Made Me Do"

(It will not insert itself into this post which is very tragic, so just click the title to go to the link)

Lyrics match-up:

// The role you make me play // is such a burn

// I check it once then I check it twice // going over the top of I O U. Adrenaline and dopamine straight to my brain and bloodstream.

// I’m the actress starring in your bad dream // the meta is strong with this one

Other comments:

No, the reason that this is here is not because I wanted one from my favorite album...though I can’t really decide between Reputation and Midnights.

I can't tell if this is a cover of the song or if it's just pitched down, but either way the deeper huskier sound is so fitting!

The gun sounds with the beat? The blowing with the first drop of the title? ACTUALLY ALL OF IT.

NO IT’S JUST SO GOOD. I'm SPEECHLESS.



8. Pocahontas: Pocahontas + John Smith - "willow"


Lyrics match-up:

// The more that you say the less I know // is so perfect for the initial language barrier

// Like you were a trophy or a champion ring // being the corn and the coin as a commentary on value

// They count me out time and time again // being her father and her tribe pushing her aside

// I come back stronger than a 90’s trend // is a punch of nostalgia because it’s from the 90s.

Other comments:

The vibes are just immaculate. This feels like fall and a blanket and general coziness.

Okay, just, the poetry of this song?? And, historical inaccuracies aside, the incredible art that is this film?? Y’all, I haven’t watched this movie in YEARS but this edit gives me the shivers. 

Pocahontas is gorgeous. ‘Nuff said.



7. Downton Abbey: Mary + Matthew - "The Great War"

Lyrics match-up:

// Sucker punching walls // cursed you as I sleep-talked // Mary first shows up after he’s said he won’t be married off to any of them.

// Took the battle underground // how petty Mary got was the emotional turmoil and intrigue

// My hand was the one you reached for // all throughout the great war // just makes my heart flutter and do all the silly things

// Tears on the letter // <3

// You drew up some good faith treaties // “God knows I wish the best for you”

// Somewhere in the haste I got the sense I’d been betrayed // Lavinia in the background. Just her whole presence in this video gives it a melancholy that I adore

// All that bloodshed, crimson clover // Matthew punching the creep, mwahaha

// But diesel is desire, you were playin' with fire // "Of course I want you"

// I vowed not to fight anymore // "We're at peace now."

Other comments:

Just the air of tension because their story literally has The Great War? I could put all the lyrics down and tie it to a specific event but I don't need to because this video does it all.



6. 10 Things I Hate About You: Kat + Patrick - "betty"*

Lyrics match-up:

// But if I just showed up at your party // is Patrick inserting himself into her life

// Or lead me to the garden? // In the garden, would you trust me // the swing scene.

// Your favorite song was playin' // From the far side of the gym // he got her favorite band to come!

// The only thing I wanna do // Is make it up to you // with the singing and then the guitar <3

Other comments:

I totally didn't give this away with my opening gifs...

I love this edit because I feel like it’s the apology we never really explicitly get from Patrick.

If you know me, you know that I don’t like the “fake dating” trope. But this movie is one of my favorite examples.

The beats of the song match up with little things like Kat's little dance.

This video is short but just really cute, okay? I just love this movie so much



5. Merlin: Merlin + Morgana - "My tears ricochet"

(Again, sorry that it won't embed, but please click the link. You won't regret it! Unless you haven't seen Merlin. Then don't do that.)

Lyrics match-up:

// We line up, weepin' in a sunlit room // How it's the beginning of her false pretenses??

// And if I'm on fire, you'll be made of ashes too // Describes their internal struggles with thinking that they should be equals but circumstances make everything different. Then to top it all off we have actual fire in the video!

// 'Til my dying day // WITH THE POISON IN HIS HAND STOP

// Look at how my tears ricochet // actually. wiping. away. tears.

// You know I didn't want to have to haunt you //  THE ACTUAL DIALOGUE.

// 'Cause when I'd fight, you used to tell me I was brave // BEING SEASON ONNNNNNNNEEEEE UGH ABLJDLKSBJLDSJG

// Anywhere I want, just not home // I was prepared for home being the castle. But then it was them riding together. breaking my soul.

"I'm scared." --> // You turned into your worst fears //

// Crossing out the good years // is the most painful lyric of all time, the end.

Other comments:

So, this isn't the only version of this pairing with this song. And I actually watch this song with a ton of other couples and have one of my own in mind, but THIS. THIS IS EXCELLENCE. (and if it seems like I'm using caps lock a lot, let me tell you I've already rewritten this a few times to bring it down)

I didn't really ship them hardcore, but that's what I love about this video, it isn't a couples one. They are foils of each other. 

Is this a cover of the song? I can't tell but it's gloriously haunting.

The stone line was working a little hard but I'm here for it.

The soft little "no" from Merlin??

STANDING OVATION. I've watched this so many times and it always cuts me to the core.



4. Little Women (2019): Jo + Laurie - "Midnight Rain"


Lyrics match up:

// He wanted a bride I was making my own way // is the best summarization of their journey I’ve ever read

// For some it was paradise // captures the dynamics between the sisters

// A slow-motion, love potion // being Laurie's perception but also them just having fun

// I broke his heart cause he was nice //  like, literally, this does just as good a job as the musical (which I'm kind of immersed in right now).

// So I peered through a window // A deep portal, time travel // this is how this film is set up. exactly.

// And the life I gave away // this is making me hurt and it usually doesn’t

// We all get some kind of haunted // when Dr. Bhaer playing the piano so we're thinking about Beth? ACK

Other comments:

My first huge disclaimer is that never in my life have I shipped Jo and Laurie. Laurie and Amy are one of my favorite couples of all time, Pr. Bhaer is my darling, etc. But I think this song so perfectly captures this tumultuous time in their lives where they are both lonely and questioning everything.

These two first meet at night so their journey being described as midnight and then having the climax being in the sunshine is the opposite of what you'd expect, but this song demonstrates that so perfectly. 

And then with Amy. UGH, IT’S SO GOOD I’M DISGUSTED.



3. Wednesday: Wednesday + Tyler - "Would’ve Could’ve Should’ve"

Lyrics match-up:

// If you tasted poison you could’ve // spit me out at the first chance // "I can’t interpret your emotional morse code." All the yes. I’m not eloquent enough to say why it pierces me so, but I adore it.

// If I was some paint did it splatter // on a promising grown man // is my favorite line and I love it here because people told both of them to stay away from each other but who was spilling on whom??

// NEVER. WOULD’VE. DANCED. WITH. THE. DEVIL. // is an applause moment

// Memories feel like weapons // always sting but this one even more so because this is what changed it all

// Then you tried to erase us // with the blame being on her almost but also him? GENIUS.

“That was torture. Thank you.” // the pain was heaven //

// Stained glass windows in my mind // being where she has a halo of Enid’s window??

// Why won’t you die // being a perfect mash up of scenes when they are literally talking about death and the threats/risks they pose to each other??

// WOUND. WON’T. CLOSE. // mic drop

Other comments:

So...this is my FAVORITE Taylor Swift song of all time. And all because of this video. When I saw this last summer I then decided that no other Taylor Swift song touches me like this. "Would've could've should've" is always my first request.

Ahem.

To start off, the editing itself is fab. I love the affects put on because it fits the vibe. Other than that? No notes.



2. Hotel del Luna: Jang Man-wol + Koo Chang-sung - "Blank Space"

Lyrics match-up:

// New money, suit and tie // this could be me, but I feel like this is an acknowledgment of how fabulous everyone looks all the time.

// So it's gonna be forever // Or it's gonna go down in flames // MY HEART. it's the ultimatum of this show.

// Got a long list of ex-lovers // this is my sister's only complaint on this vid is that we don’t see the ex-lover

// Breathless or with a nasty scar // is hilarious because it’s her defeating an evil spirit

// I can make all the tables turn // being her calm in the chaos

// omg who is she // is Chang-sung staring with heart eyes + // drunk on jealousy // is Mi-ra

// Don't say I didn't, say I didn't warn ya // is him losing it. as you do.

Other comments:

Am I aware that no other bloggers have seen this? Yes. Does that stop me from trying to make them all watch it? No. There aren't really spoilers, but also without context it could be alarming.

I love the irony of young and restless. Because yes, Man-wol is restless but not young.

The beats and everything are just so stinking SNAZZY.



1. Anastasia: Anya + Dimitri - "champagne problems"*

Lyrics match-up:

// Bustling crowds or tired sleepers // you don’t know which is worse // this comment could just be me screaming about it all the time because I dare you to find something that matches up better.

// How ever green our group of friends // don’t think I’ll say that word again // YESSSSSS. ugh, I feel so hollow after this

// She would’ve made such a lovely bride // this DESCRIBES the conflict of the film so well.

// You’ll find the real thing instead // WHICH WAS HER ALL ALONG <3

Other comments:

I see so. many. edits. with this song. And they’re all usually wonderfully accurate, but this one is so unique because it flips everything. The song usually ends on a sad note but this is so hopeful and happy and it makes me want to cry.

From the first lyrics of the song it lines up so well The champagne shot is so iconic in this film and conveys so much heartache and regret which IS THIS SONG.

The grandmother blowing the kiss??? <3333

Also the editing is just glorious.



If you want to see all of those videos in one place, the playlist is HERE.

If you have been here for a hot minute you see how I often have an ulterior motive, mwahaha. Which is the case today which is the newest addition to my YouTube channel. 

The video that I have for you today isn't Taylor Swift (I know, sad. I have one in the works, it just wasn't done yet), but there is a slim reason it connects in. Remember how one of the honorable mentions was Enola Holmes? Well, I have my own version.

This is for both movies 1 and 2 and it's a couple pairing with Tewkesbury (again, spoilers, so use your own discretion). I'm way too into it and simultaneously am tired of it because of how much time I spent on it.

Enola Holmes series: Enola + Tewkesbury - "Flowers in Your Hair"


I've got 3 Taylor Swift + fandoms videos in my head and one of them actively in the works, but I'd love more suggestions! I definitely didn't cover every album, so if there are fan videos I neglected then please tell me and I'd love to watch them all.

Thanks for reading and watching! How many of these have you seen? Which are your favorites? How would you rank them?


Chloe the MovieCritic

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that two of my own fanvids made it onto this list??? I'm speechless. :D :D :D Thanks so much! Also, I love this post and now I'm inspired to do a similar one of my own . . .

      Anyway, yes, fan videos are just the best. I love them. I really enjoyed reading all of your thoughts on each of these videos.

      That Moriarty video is fantastic. Pocahontas is such a guilty pleasure for me because yes obviously it's all kinds of inaccurate and problematic but THE MUSIC, PEOPLE -- and the animation and the colors and just!! Everything!! I haven't watched Merlin yet but I'm already vicariously a fan of it, and MTR for Merlin/Morgana always hurts. *sniffle*
      "Would've Could've Should've'" is SUCH a good song. Ugh. That bridge building into that stunning lyric, "Give me back my girlhood; it was mine first"?? Shut up. I'm slain. Did you write a review of Hotel del Luna? It sounds familiar -- if it's the one I'm thinking of, you definitely piqued my interest in it. I would never in a million years have thought of pairing "Champagne Problems" with Anastasia but I LOVE that idea. And now I need to explore your channel, too!

      P.S. I nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award, should you wish to accept it! https://meanwhileinrivendell.blogspot.com/2024/08/the-sunshine-blogger-award-2024.html

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles