"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Saturday, August 27, 2022

First Impression Ramblings on Sanditon {Season 2}

Hello, gentlemen, ladies, and humans!

Back in June I gave you guys my first impression ramblings for Cinderella and the Four Knights (which, tl;dr: I loved). I typed that all up and decided to make it a series. Well, a few weeks ago I was going through some texts with my older sister Em, and found something. In April I had spent time between studying by watching the second season of Sanditon and sending her updates. 


If you guys don't know, Sanditon is one of Jane Austen's unfinished works. Starting in 2019, Masterpiece decided to make a series out of it and finish the story. Then make a second season utterly unconnected to anything Jane Austen did. For context, you should know that my sister and I HATED the first season. We were so disgusted about everything. Especially how they made the main love interest a combination of all Jane Austen's heroes, but demolished them.

It was annoying.

So I really just wanted to put myself through pain when I decided to watch the second season.

This is different from my other First Impression Ramblings post because I'm just sending you the conversations my sister and I had. Which is mostly my initial reactions. All original comments will be in standard type like this, but any of my comments while I was writing this post will be in bold.

There aren't any spoilers, per se, because I didn't want to tell Em anything. Mostly, it's a bunch of stuff out of context. And I don't remember what it means in half of these instances. I hope you guys get as much a kick out of this as I did when I reread them!

I should give a little disclaimer: I sound very different when texting my sister because we are constantly making jokes. Sorry if this is a little weird! Like, when I break into talking like Jar Jar Binks...
I'm keeping all my poor grammar and spelling because a. it is funny, and b. it shows you what a hurry I was in to tell my sister stuff and not wait to check everything.


{The lead up}:

MC: 
I think I'm going to watch Sanditon if I can.


Em: 
Ooh ๐Ÿ˜ถ you'll just have to tell me if Young Stringer and Esther are back, there's no point w/o those narratives for me.... unless there's someone new who you like. ๐Ÿ˜„


{Episode 1:}

MC: 
10 minutes in it is very shocking and very quiet. I haven't seen Young Stringer or Esther yet, but I think I saw Esther's name in the credits...


Em:
 ๐Ÿง๐Ÿ˜ฎ


MC:
WHAT
NO
I think they just wrote Young Stringer out of the story completely in a lame 2 seconds!!!!
{If you guys can't guess, "Young" Stringer was my favorite character from the first season. He is precious in a million ways. I don't know why I kept watching after this. But, I did find someone else who was quite lovable, as you will see later}


WHOA. Did they just throw a straight up Emma reference???


THAT LINE WAS STRAIGHT UP P&P PLAGIARISM. THE OLD LADY (Esther lives with) JUST SAID A MRS. BENNET LINE. I mean, I was already thinking it implicitly, but she said it 
E. X. A. C. T. L. Y.


It is so painful. ๐Ÿ˜ 


Gosh, we are not sticking with the time period AT ALL based on how many conversations or inappropriate meetings there have been. At this point I'm just laughing from the ridiculousness whilr banging my head. I'm also really uncertain of the time jump? I thought it the beginning it was saying 3 years, but now 8 months?


Well, this is an annoying subplot we just introduced.


Sad!!! ๐Ÿ˜ญ


(Yeah, in case you haven't noticed, you're getting all the updates. Don't panic, this is just fiction, not real life)
{She freaks out when I spam her because she thinks something is wrong. So I had to give her fair warning}


I think that line is a little more disguised so I can't recognize it immediately, but I think it was originally said by Marianne!!!!


They should just make it a straight up parody, none of this wishy washy in between proper stuff.


Reminding me kind of Poldark.



Em: 
Whoa, you better be able to {join a group call} later just based on how much Sanditon you have time for... ๐Ÿคฃ Also, we're going to have to talk about these specific quotes.... I'm kinda sad we're not roasting it together ๐Ÿ˜ฅ๐Ÿ˜ˆ



MC:
It was like 15ish minutes while eating food. I wasn't just goofing off. XD Mesa isa verya sadsa notsa tosa besa watchingsa withsa yousa!! {rambles on about unrelated stuff, like tutoring}


Em: 
Sounds good ๐Ÿ˜ wait,all that was 15 minutes??? ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ถ


MC:
Exactamente! It's INSANE how BAD it is in such a short time!!!


{Episode 2}:

You know what, I just realized that in general I don't like the "governess falls in love with employer" trope. Or the "person falls in love with employer" at all. This explains a lot.


Em: 
I mean, it's just an imbalanced power relationship, so no bueno.... how does this explain a lot?


MC:
Exactly! It's why I HATE The Sound of Music! XD {This is kind of explicitly stated here, but I HATE The Sound of Music. The story, the songs, everything. We watched it a lot when I was little because my sisters loved it and I got burned out, okay? I've had people tell me I just need to watch it again and let me tell you, no, no I do not.}


Em: 
Ahhh. Yes. You know, it's probably good that I haven't rewatched that in a long time. Although, in that case, she was already going to marry her employer.... she just changed employers.


MC:
{original gif sent}

BRO. THAT TOOK ME WAY TO LONG TO GET.
I was like, what is this part of the story that I'm forgetting. ๐Ÿคฆ


Em: 
Cryptic, to the last. ๐Ÿ˜


MC:
Oh. My. Goodness. ๐Ÿ˜ถ I am going to go be disturbed in mind now.


Em: 
What? ๐Ÿคฃ Don't be disturbed in mind....
Just find....
Your dream! ๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽต๐ŸŽต
๐Ÿ˜œ


MC:
Any attempt for any malice right now is not working because I don't get it. ๐Ÿ˜
{Malice is common because we all try to annoy each other with the things the others don't like. For Em, I sing "Level of Concern" and anything Shawn Mendes. She likes to torment me with Les Mis. All fun sister stuff}


Em: 
Climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow til you find your dream - just the big aria. Nothing too crazy. ๐Ÿ˜‰


MC:
Ah, the famous one. Gotcha. ๐Ÿ˜† I probably wouldn't have even figured out what it was called besides running up a mountain. ๐Ÿคช
{This was before the other running up a hill song became so popular, haha!}



{Episode 3:}

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRERRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHJJHHJHJ. HOW CAN IT STEAL FROM EVERY SINGLE BOOK AND BE ALL OF THEM AT ONCE WHILE BEING HORRIBLIY HORRIBLE. IT TAKES AWAY THE MEANING AND PURPOSE OF IT ALL. IT WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME.


Our newest female character I like to call Marianne Dashwood. CUZ IT'S THE SAME. Though Charlotte's having a bit of it too with the people near her.


Em: 
Heywood already has enough Marianne, why can't they pick on someone else?! ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜


MC:
Oh, it is a Heywood. It's Charlotte's sister, Addison (the MOST Regency name I've ever heard) {*cough* It's actually Alison *cough*}. Like, bro, you can see it coming from a mile away. ๐Ÿ˜– indeed. Cool! You've really found your niche! (what does this mean?? Was it something else I was talking to my sister about?)

{new gif for your viewing pleasure}



{Episode 4}:


{The archery in this episode was straight up pain, but it was archery so I loved it}


I don't even know what to complain about. The bloody {channelling my inner Ron Weasley, this is about as intense as my "swearing" gets} script is atrocious. We literally went through this whole ordeal where a dude was like, "I have no heart!" and a girl was like, "I'm sure you do!" {I believe the exact lines were, "I'm sure there is a beating heart in there somewhere" "You will search in vain". Or something like that} only to have her say 10 minutes later, "I knew you were brutish, -------, but I didn't know you were heartless." LIKE, WE JUST. WENT. OVER. THAT. YOU. NITWIT. (The girl, not guy. The guy is my squishy and I will call him squishy). 

{new gif to show you the reference I was making}

I'm not one to yell bad stuff, but I have called someone else a turd this episode. 
{You guys are seeing the dark side of MC in this post...}


{For the record, my Squishy does indeed have a heart.}


{original image sent}

I make fun of it, but I love it. THESE PEOPLE NEED TO "SOCIAL DISTANCE". They are standing WAY too close to each other. It's a freakinga mea outa.


“I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offences against myself... My good opinion once lost is lost forever. - Fitzwilliam Darcy”
THEY JUST BLOOMING TWISTED AND REPURPOSED THAT QUOTE AND I THINK I'M GOING TO BE SICK.


You would not like either of the guys I slightly like. You would call them scruffy. And I don't like the one really bc he's a rip off, but he's the better of the options.


Have we got some glares going.
{Not S&S 2008 level, but still impressive}


Pirates of the Caribbean. {I love how random this is, because when I type this it means one of two things. Lets all be happy it is what it is and not the other!}


CREEP. I HATE YOU EVEN MORE NOW. I had an inkling already, but that was overstepped some boundaries.


*accidentally called my favorite character a creep, too* Sorry, bro! You all look the same from the back!


"You knew and you said nothing." Sweetheart, he's said so much but you just don't know how to listen. {Here, I said some names for the first time because I couldn't stand my sister not knowing. So we had a long call where I told her the events of the story and the names of the new characters. I'm cutting it for spoiler reasons, though}


{Episode 5}:


What they're doing to Esther is OUTRAGEOUS. (Outfits are great, though)
{Guys, everything about Esther broke my heart! It wasn't fair!}


{I took out this line because I know my sister knew what I meant, but with everything on the internet I think it could be misunderstood easily. I didn't mean to be rude at all, I was being sarcastic about behavior, not anything else. But you guys don't need to worry about it because I'm not showing you.}


"What in heaven's name is wrong with you!? Find a remedy!": best line of the show.


I am loving the girl squad even if two of them are blind and useless.


And then there's DANCING! ๐Ÿ˜ Such a plot device, but don't really care. Plus there was a bodhran. {For those of you who don't know, that's an Irish drum. One that I'm trying to learn how to play} 


I hate you {character, not my sister. Usually when I say "you" I'm talking to characters}, but that was smooth.


NO NO NO NO NO. Don't you DARE attempt that. ๐Ÿ˜ค No consent was given!


Not the time, bro, not the time. Give her some SPACE.


Annnnnnnnnnd you. I find it hilarious that my first thought when seeing you is "precious:. XD


"Simple is not plain" Awwww!
{Also, bros, this lady finds this gent rude, but she was rude to him first! He never did anything!}


Poor acting, but okay.


Not aGAIN. Poor ducky is stuck in the middle. {I have do memory of who I was calling "ducky" but now I'm really curious}


#awkward.


Someone's jelly...


That was a pure moment, so I applaud it.
{I almost want to watch this show again just to watch my favorite parts with my favorite character because he is a sweetheart. I don't understand WHY he likes/"loves" the character he does, because she is ANNOYING, but I love him. I shouldn't be surprised, because it takes two of my favorite tropes, so of course I love it.}


PLOT TWIST. Did not see that coming.


Uh oh...


Poor thing.


Has a name, you know...


๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿฅบ๐Ÿ˜ต๐Ÿ˜ต‍๐Ÿ’ซ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

{Whatever this was got quite the reaction out of me}


Charlotte. Do. You. Realize. What. You. Are. Saying.


Better...


Ugh, they needed to hire extras as chaperones. {*raises hand* I would be willing to do that}


What a place to end it. ๐Ÿ™„ (I just found this emoji and I am a fan)


{Episode 6}: 


Baby, learn from P&P05 Mr. Bingley, swearing is not romantic.

{new gif for your viewing pleasure}


'"I was thinking and realized that last night I said too much. I pray that you never speak of it." 
"I won't breathe a word!"'. That really is silent as the grave level studd because she already told two people who gossip everywhere. 

{new gif to show you the reference I was making}


Whoa! That was forward and mouthy!!
{For the time period. Not for life.}


Huh, that's some interesting conflict to develop. Cool.


NO. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THE WORD ARDENTLY, CREEP.
{Really, y'all, how dare someone use that word who is not Mr. Darcy}


"We may be preposterous, but we are honest and sincere.": might become my new motto.
{I'm roasting this show brutally, but there were a few things I enjoyed. Like the previously said trope.}


That's a nice glare.


Nice shots with a horse. 


This is weird.


Clapping for hugging. I do it, too.


That ripped easily. {What did? XD}


Brothers, giving each other hilarious looks.


Breaking promises! Tsk, tsk!


I do not think that word means what you think it means.

{new gif to show you the reference I was making} {Though I think most people know this reference}


Well, that was sad.


No you didn't!!! Watching that again. Of course you are, precious! Why didn't I realize it until now?? {I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad about whatever is happening?}


"Terrible breach of trust." That's what I said!


They're all listening. XD XD XD XD


This show is still terrible. It doesn't take away from that. But it does make it worth it. {I have no memory what this was now. I just remember the terrible and not the worth. XD Unless it was my Squishy. It probably was my Squishy.}


Did not see that coming even though I should have.


You can't use that! That's a Fiddler on the Roof line!!


Yes, man! Snaps for you.


That was rude.


How are they going to wrap this up??


That was the most emotionless acting I've ever seen.


NO NO NO NO COME ON YOU CAN'T GET ME HOOKED THEN DO THAT. {I have no memory of being hooked}


4 minutes left to this season. Which means there's going to be another one. *bangs head*


She's not wrong...


Does this man have a JACKET?? The informal look is killing me. {This was an ongoing complaint. It just took me until the last episode to mention it}


See the following gif for my feelings summed up. And Charlotte's. 


๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿฅฐ


WHO ARE YOU?


NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ I feel like Agnes!!!! Fly! ๐Ÿ˜Ž ¿Que??? How is this a bad plan??? Come on, just tell me why this is a nightmare??? {There is so much happening here, I don't even know where to begin. I think I remember what I was upset about, but who is Agnes? And who was looking fly? Was it Squishy?}


Okay then...what, pray tell, IS THE BLAZING POINT??

{original gif sent}



This is back to MC in current time. Well, I felt rather strongly about it all, didn't I? So, yeah, I think there is going to be a third season. I don't know if I'll watch it. I probably will, just for the hope of Young Stringer. If I do, I'll probably send my sister updates and therefore you guys.

Have you guys seen Sanditon? Do you know who my Squishy is? Do you ever release your unfiltered thoughts on an unsuspecting friend through text? What do you think of the format of this First Impression Ramblings Post?

What shows have you guys been watching lately? Tell me all the news!

Thanks for reading!

Chloe the MovieCritic

2 comments:

  1. Okay, this is FANTASTICALLY fun to read, but the show sounds really awful. XD I was never planning on watching it, and you've just given me several more reasons not to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the format. This was a ton of fun to read, and I don't want to watch this show, but I /do/ want your First Impressions of season 3 (if there is one) or any other show you take it into your head to watch.

    Also I love your header and I haven't seen any Studio Ghibli but I still love it. It makes me happy to look at.

    Also, to answer your question, I've been watching Leverage with my sister! We're finally almost through the fifth season. We definitely have weird conversations about the characters. The actor who plays Eliot (our favorite - well, my very close second favorite and my sister's favorite) also plays a character named Alex in a different show, and they're very similar but also different characters? so we get down into allll the fine shades of analysis, like, "Alex is a good person who's rough around the edges and traumatized, but Eliot was a good person who became a (mostly) bad person who is now trying to be a (mostly) good person again...and that's why they're different and why Eliot is technically the best." Having super detailed conversations with sisters that no one else really understands is kind of my favorite thing...

    That was a ramble, haha. I hope you don't mind. I enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles