"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Sunday, November 21, 2021

The Give Thanks for Books Tag!

Hello, friends!

I'm here to talk quickly about books, because books are the best. I have spent a good chunk of my life reading, and I miss reading with my current busy schedule. I'm going to feel better even thinking about them, though, which is why I'm here! The terrific Olivia tagged me with the Give Thanks for Books Tag! I'm grateful for her, and Hamlette who created this tag! Thanks Olivia!


The Rules

1. Thank the person who tagged you. 
2. Fill out the tag.
3. Share the tag graphic in your post.
4. Tag four friends.
5. Provide a clean copy of the tag for easy copying.

The Questions:

G -- A book you're Grateful to a friend for recommending

You guys are probably tired of me mentioning North & South - by Elisabeth Gaskell, but it's my third favorite book of all time so I'm not going to stop talking about it any time soon. The friend who recommended it knew I love Jane Austen and Charles Dickens so this would be perfect for me. She also recommended Wives & Daughters - by Elisabeth Gaskell which was exactly what I needed at the time.

I -- A book that fires your Imagination

The Girl Who Drank the Moon - by Kelly Barnhill. I want to read a million more stories set in this world! It made me realize that dragons can come in all shapes and sizes, and it only matters about the fire within inside. Just all of this book makes me want to sit down and write into the sunset (see what I did there?).


V -- A book with a Vivid setting

Shadow Spinner - by Susan Fletcher. It is about a girl who provides Scheherazade with stories, and I felt like I was in the 1001 Nights myself. It's been a long time since I read it, but scenes describing the hustle and bustle of the markets still stick with me. It is probably responsible for inspiring my current WIP...


E -- An Encouraging book

Wild Bird - by Wendelin Van Draanen. Whatever you've come through you can still take flight. Wren goes through dark moments and she has to find the light. It encouraged me a lot!


T -- A book that Taught you something

The Magician's Elephant - by Kate DiCamillo. It taught me the importance of asking, "What if? Why not? Could it be?" A mind open to possibilities is open to everything else, like forgiveness and humility.


H -- A Happy book

I pondered this for a long time, as I was trying to come up with a book that was 100% happy from start to finish. Finally I had to tell myself that this question is for a book that MAKES ME happy. 

Howl's Moving Castle - by Diana Wynn Jones. I've already read it at least twice, but I want to read it again because it is so fun! Lots of hijinks and things to keep anyone happy.


A -- An Amusing book

All of the books of The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place that I've read so far (which is 1-5, so I'm only missing the last one) have made me laugh so much. I cackle while washing the dishes listening to the audiobook and make my family nervous. Though it is against Miss Penelope Lumley's best efforts, the Alexander, Beowulf, and Cassiopeia get into lots of trouble, and it is hilarious.



N -- A New-to-you book or author you discovered this year

The Truth About Twinkie Pie - by Kat Yeh. I loved Leia (GiGi) and this book highlighted her struggles. One time, it wasn't even a sad part but I was just sitting and crying while reading this book because I FELT that much for her!



K -- A fictional character you feel a Kinship with

Louisiana Elefante from Lousiana's Way Home - by Kate DiCamillo. We first see her in Raymie Nightingale and I thought she and I were somewhat similar. When she got her own book to shine in I really saw all of the similarities come into place. A difference is that she is an amazing singer which is an activity I never partake in. 


S -- A book you want to Share with others

The Ickabog - by J. K. Rowling. It was one of my favorite books that I read last year, and it was such a rollicking good time. In addition to that it cut me deeply, so of course, misery loves company. It is so fun, deep, and poignant. I am the only person I know who has read it so I want others to read it, too!



I tag:
Sam @ Bookshire
ThunderbirdQueen @ The Winchester North Star
Emily Grant @ Words Really Matter
Katherine & Grace @ The Maidens of Green Gables


Clean Question List

G -- A book you're Grateful to a friend for recommending
I -- A book that fires your Imagination
V -- A book with a Vivid setting
E -- An Encouraging book
T -- A book that Taught you something
H -- A Happy book
A -- An Amusing book
N -- A New-to-you book or author you discovered this year
K -- A fictional character you feel a Kinship with
S -- A book you want to Share with others


There you go! See, I feel much better now. Sometimes being grateful does that to someone, right?

What's better than talking about books with yourself? Talking about books with others! Have any of you read these? I feel like I always say the same things when answering tags so I was really trying to switch it up (taking a long time...). Was I successful? What are some books you are grateful for?

Oh, and happy November!

Chloe the MovieCritic

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tag, Chloe! It looks like a fun one. :)

    Oooh, The Girl Who Drank the Moon is such a good one!

    I've never read Shadow Spinner, but I did see it at the used book store the other day...I didn't buy it, but I thought about it! ;) Oh, and I saw the Magician's Elephant, too, but I didn't buy that one, either. XD Maybe a different time.

    The Ickabog wasn't even on my radar! I'll have to look into it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tags are my favorite thing to pass onto other and you seemed like an ideal candidate. ;)

      I didn't know you had read TGWDtM! Then again, you've read everything... It's funny that that book started with my younger sister, then me, then finally my older sister this year!

      It's been ages since I've read both of those, but I have great memories to go with them. I think a friend gave Shadow Spinner to my sister and I got The Magician's Elephant from the library, so I tend to not buy things, too. But I still love bookstores. ;)

      Really? You never heard of it? I read it each week as the chapters came out in April-July 2020 and had a blast. Now I want a copy of my own because I've heard they added illustrations!

      Delete
  2. I MUST read Howl's Moving Castle. *adds it to the TBR*

    Oh also North and South has been on my unofficial list for a long time, hasn't it? *adds it to the official list*

    And Kate DiCamillo's books listed here look yummy. It's been awhile since I've taken a jaunt with Kate DiCamillo.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Chloe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, you HAVEN'T read Howl's Moving Castle?? This must be remedied as soon as possible if not sooner!

      There we go, baby steps until you read it. It's not the shortest book in the world but North and South engaged me the entire time so I was never bored. Which is speaking a lot for classics because as much as I love them, I usually fall asleep in one part...

      Kate DiCamillo's books are always a treat! She's the one author I make special time to spend with. Oct. 16th!

      This is over a month late, but thank you so much! I'm always thankful for blogging friends! :D

      Delete
  3. I'm not at all tired of hearing you talk about North and South. Keep it up.

    I read the first Incorrigible Children book aloud to my kids, and ever since, my husband and I have been fascinated by the Shottisch. We've even discussed learning to dance it, especially since Pippi Longstocking also dances it. That means it must be a very good dance indeed, don't you think?

    I still haven't read Howl's Moving Castle or The Ickabog, but I want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette, thank you for supporting me in the discussion of North and South! I sometimes feel that I'm just a parrot repeating myself, so it's good to know that you enjoy it! :-)

      That's so fun! A few years ago I took a whole workshop about English country dances that was a blast, but we never learned the schottische! I would totally love to try it. I have yet to read Pippi Longstocking, but if she can do it then I can, right? Are you planning on continuing the Incorrigibly Children series?

      Those are both so fun and fancy free, Hamlette! I think your kids might love them, too. The Ickabog gets surprisingly deep which is awesome for an MG book!

      Delete
    2. We tried reading the second Incorrigible Children book and just couldn't get into it. Not sure why. I may try it again someday.

      Delete
    3. Hamlette, that unexplainable thing happens to me with plenty of series. If it's any help, I enjoyed the second one, didn't really like the third, was meh about the fourth, but UTTERLY loved the fifth. It might take awhile to work up to the quality of the first one, but it was 100% worth it for me!

      Delete
    4. Okay! Perhaps we will try them again one day :-)

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles