"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Short Film Review: The Snow Queen (1992)

Hello, everyone!

I'm sorry that I have a lot of posts piling up at the end of the month, but I have so much that I want to talk about this month. As it is January, I want to talk about something wintry! This is a short film and I don't know if it counts as a "movie", but as I'm trying new things in 2020 we'll roll with it!

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless I give you warning.

The Snow Queen (1992):
Based on: The Snow Queen - by Hans Christian Andersen.
A little girl named Girda goes on an adventure to find her best friend Kai who has been stolen away by the Snow Queen.
Genre: Fantasy, animated, family.
Length: approx. 26 minutes.
Script: 10, no bad words. It pretty much follows exactly the original story. It is only narrated by Sigourney Weaver and there is no other talking.
Crew:
Directed by: Marek Buchwald, & Vladlen Barbe.
Written by: Maxine Fisher, Joshua M. Greene, & Marek Buchwald.
Starring:
Sigourney Weaver as the Narrator.
Animation: 10! Okay, so while sometimes peoples faces look a little strange, this animation is absolutely gorgeous! It is so utterly amazing!
Music: 8, I can't think of this music going with anything else, it fits so perfectly. It definitely makes me think of snow!
Music by: Jason Miles.
Content: 10, nothing bad at all!
Originality: 10! They did cut out some bits, but everything they added is so beautiful and makes me so happy! Everything they did with the raven, the mirror, and the doll fits so well, I was surprised to learn that it wasn't part of the story.
Good For: Fairytale lovers, everyone!
Age Range: Absolutely anyone can watch it! And, I recommend that they do!
Overall Score: 9.5!
Bonus thoughts:
This was my first introduction to this stunning story, and I love it so much. It had been forever since I watched it. The story of how far someone will go for one whom they love is beautiful! There is a sad lack of photos of this (two of these are screenshots), but you can watch it on YouTube, so go do that now!



Why am I reviewing this now? Well, all month Fairy Tale Central has featured The Snow Queen and I thought I should bring my favorite version to light! Check out all of the posts they did HERE.

Thanks for reading! Have any of you seen this? What is your favorite version of The Snow Queen (I'm guessing Frozen?)?

MovieCritic

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles