"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Movie Review: E. T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Hello!
"Why, if it isn't Ethel Barrymore." (No, Drew Barrymore!).
Yes, I know that is the same opening I used for this blogathon last year, but it is such a good opening.

What blogathon? You ask. Well, it is Crystal at In The Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood's fourth annual Barrymore trilogy blogathon!!!
Yes, I know Drew Barrymore isn't in the "trilogy", but Crystal extended it to all the Barrymores! I am here to review one of Drew's first movies.

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless it says so.

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
"I'm keeping him."
When a space ship accidentally leaves one of it's inhabitants behind, a boy named Elliott finds it, and wants to keep it as a friend. But the creature, whom Elliott named E.T., starts to get homesick. Meanwhile, Elliott and his brother and sister have to keep him secret from government agents who are trying to find the alien they saw in the woods.
"How do you explain school to a higher intelligence?"
Genre: Science Fiction
Length: approx. 115 minutes.
Costumes: 10, I'm giving this a 10 because E.T. is a machine, not CGI.
Script: 6, there is some bad name calling, a few bad words and some swearing.
"Can't you understand English?"
Crew:
Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Produced by:
Kathleen Kennedy
Steven Spielberg
Written by: Melissa Mathison
Starring:
Pat Welsh as the voice of E.T. "He's not going to hurt you."
Henry Thomas as Elliott.
Drew Barrymore as Gertie. "I'm not stupid, you know." (she is so cute!!)
Robert MacNaughton as Michael.
Dee Wallace as Mary.
Peter Coyote as "Keys".
K. C. Martel as Greg. "This is reality, Greg."
Sean Frye as Steve.
C. Thomas Howell as Tyler.
Cinematography: 8.
Cinematography by: Allen Daviau
Music: 9.
Music by: John Williams
Quotes: 9, "I don't know streets, Mom always drives me!"
Oscars won: 4: Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Effects Editing, Best Sound, Best Original Score.
Notes: There are references to The Quiet Man, Star Wars, and Peter Pan.
Storyline: 7, it has people being drunk, possible smoking, and deals with divorce.
Good For: People who feel abandoned.
"You've gone someplace else now."
Overall Score: 8.5

For the blogathon:
Drew Barrymore is the perfect Gertie. She is mischievous, but she can also be very sweet and innocent. Plus, she is adorable!

Thank you so much for hosting this Crystal! Sorry that this is a few days late... summer gets busy!

Thank you for reading!! Please go check out all the other posts in this blogathon HERE.

MovieCritic

2 comments:

  1. I think that all of us have enjoyed this movie at some point in our life, even if it is an old one. However, I was surprised to know that Drew Barrymore acted as little Gertie. I did not realise that before. Maybe it is because I watched this film so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! There is some part of this movie that sticks with all of us. It was a surprise to me as well after the first time I watched it to see her in the credits! This is only the second movie I have seen her in, though, I would like to see more!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles